Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to a Rear Rack? Courier Bag? Large Backpack

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 05-17-21, 12:50 PM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts

Anyone commute and bring their stuff in a large sling-type courier bag? I was thinking about getting something like that for gym trips and light grocery shopping. A standard size book-bag type backpack is too small for what I want. Are there any other ideas that are NOT a rear rack?
Likes For LifeNovice1:
Old 05-17-21, 12:56 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
This

Old 05-17-21, 01:34 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
People use lots of kinds of bags. Backpacks and messenger bags for grownups come in every size, but I think most of us are carrying bags to match our laptops. When we opt for luggage it's usually because they have found a backpack to be too sweaty and a messenger bag unstable. I'm fine with a backpack and it's what I use right now, but I've used other things before and will in the future.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-17-21 at 01:38 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-17-21, 08:05 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've never liked rear racks or panniers, so I accumulated quite a few messenger-style bags over the years I was commuting. I've probably got the whole Timbuk-2 catalog and most of Chrome's offerings. Between roll-tops, handlebar bags, pizza racks, and frame bags, there have never been more alternatives to kludgy rear racks than right now.
Old 05-17-21, 08:18 PM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Originally Posted by randallr
This

looks good...what is it?
Old 05-18-21, 06:46 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I've never liked rear racks or panniers, so I accumulated quite a few messenger-style bags over the years I was commuting. I've probably got the whole Timbuk-2 catalog and most of Chrome's offerings. Between roll-tops, handlebar bags, pizza racks, and frame bags, there have never been more alternatives to kludgy rear racks than right now.
In defense of the "kludgy rear racks," perhaps if you developed a tolerance for them you wouldn't need the shop full of everything else?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-18-21, 08:09 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I have used Chrome and Timbuk-2 bags, both are good. The Chrome was the biggest, also I found it easier to keep in place.

I am going in the opposite direction though, I have a lot of stuff in my bag and that plus back problems means I really don't like anything on my back. So I now am back to using panniers like I was 20+ years ago. Free again!
Old 05-18-21, 09:09 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
In defense of the "kludgy rear racks," perhaps if you developed a tolerance for them you wouldn't need the shop full of everything else?
That's not gonna happen. Besides, I like having a variety of different bags to choose from.
Old 05-19-21, 01:19 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
In recent months I've taken the rear racks off two of my bikes and have been using backpacks, even in the hottest months. I have a large collection of them, and they all get used at one time or another. Most are capable of taking a laptop. I've never enjoyed using messenger bags.

I kept a rear rack on one bike however, and that comes in very useful whenever I need to sling on some panniers and/or rackbag for extra capacity.

I don't own a car, so it's good to have options.
Likes For fredlord:
Old 05-20-21, 08:40 AM
randallr

Originally Posted by LifeNovice1
looks good...what is it?
It's a "Sackville" bag from Rivendell
Old 05-20-21, 10:44 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Originally Posted by randallr
It's a "Sackville" bag from Rivendell
"Sackville?" Lmfao...could they come up with a worse name?! How about "Dickbag?". Man the cycling world seems to go out of its way to come up with dorky/gay names for things. I was thinking about "panniers" for my "rear rack" but first I'll need to buy "p-clamps" because I don't have "braze-ons" so maybe I'll buy a "Sackville.". 🤣🤣🤣

But seriously it looks like a good bag. Guess I'll order a "."Sackville"
Old 05-20-21, 10:46 AM
randallr

They have several sizes, the one I have is discontinued but I think they have another that's similar. Mine fits a 13" laptop nicely.
Old 05-20-21, 10:36 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
"Sackville?" Lmfao...could they come up with a worse name?! How about "Dickbag?". Man the cycling world seems to go out of its way to come up with dorky/gay names for things. I was thinking about "panniers" for my "rear rack" but first I'll need to buy "p-clamps" because I don't have "braze-ons" so maybe I'll buy a "Sackville.". 🤣🤣🤣

The mods want let me say that. I need to feel unclean once in a while......
Old 05-21-21, 04:29 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
You could also use a front basket. They come in a wide range of sizes and prices. My vote is for Wald. Bomb proof and last forever. Anyone else out there use some sort of basket?
Old 05-21-21, 07:29 AM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I only use bags. Never racks. Over the last 10+ years my fall/winter/spring evolution has been:

chrome metropolis
bagaboo workhorse xl with extra strap
trashbags garbage truck

in the summer I’m all about that Ortlieb backpack. The closed cell ventilations pads are the winner. The Commuter line with no padding in the straps soaks up no sweat. I also recently got the Ortlieb messenger backpack for bigger summer loads and it’s great too. Although I’m not a fan of the velcro closure. The hook on the commuter is much better.
Old 05-21-21, 07:51 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Rivendell is a valley in Lord of the Rings, "Sackville" is also place from Lord of the Rings... as in the "Sackville Bagginsies"

Old 05-21-21, 08:10 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Here is another bag. This one is the Banjo Bros Minnehana. It is intended to be used as a seat bag, but works just as well as a handlebar bag. It is at a lower price-point than most seat bags, $60.

Unless you have fenders, one thing to keep in mind is droop onto the wheel.

Last edited by timdow; 05-21-21 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-21-21, 12:43 PM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Originally Posted by Bat56
I only use bags. Never racks. Over the last 10+ years my fall/winter/spring evolution has been:

chrome metropolis
bagaboo workhorse xl with extra strap
trashbags garbage truck

in the summer I’m all about that Ortlieb backpack. The closed cell ventilations pads are the winner. The Commuter line with no padding in the straps soaks up no sweat. I also recently got the Ortlieb messenger backpack for bigger summer loads and it’s great too. Although I’m not a fan of the velcro closure. The hook on the commuter is much better.
That bagaboo looks perfect but $200 ish is a bit steep. If I ever sell my car and fully commit I might get one of those. There are some front baskets on amazon for $26 that I might look at
Old 05-21-21, 01:12 PM
Bat56

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
That bagaboo looks perfect but $200 ish is a bit steep. If I ever sell my car and fully commit I might get one of those. There are some front baskets on amazon for $26 that I might look at
funny because that’s what I did. Sold my car. And yeah $200 is steep. But I’ve used that bag for ten years and it’s still solid. The Ortliebs can be bought on eBay for $50-$75.

the trashbag is even more expensive but it’s the most amazingly comfortable-on-the-bike bag that I’ve experienced. I really can’t explain it. When I picked it up from the shop I took my normal backpack off, shoved it into the trashbag, and when I put the bag on my back I felt like it was pulling me backwards. But when I got on the bike, that bag is perfectly balanced and weighted. Really amazing design.

I have a Cetma 5 rail rack on a bike and it works pretty great. It all depends on how heavy your loads are and how rough you ride. I rode a table saw on that front rack.

but I just looked up that rack and see that it’s currently retailing for more than I’ve paid for some complete bikes. But I got mine used. But I live in a biking city.
Old 05-27-21, 06:29 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
The mods want let me say that. I need to feel unclean once in a while......
What can I call my bowling ball bag? I am using front basket wi quick detach!
gm
Old 05-29-21, 08:43 AM
Inisfallen

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Bat56
I have a Cetma 5 rail rack on a bike and it works pretty great. It all depends on how heavy your loads are and how rough you ride. I rode a table saw on that front rack.

but I just looked up that rack and see that it’s currently retailing for more than I’ve paid for some complete bikes. But I got mine used. But I live in a biking city.

Wald makes a bunch of baskets, including one that's functionally pretty much the same as the Cetna you mention. The Wald basket is bigger. It looks more useful to me, but YMMV, obviously.

https://waldsports.com/store/front-b...it-front-rack/

It's quite a bit cheaper.

Last edited by Inisfallen; 05-29-21 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Correct typo