Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring the West Coast

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring the West Coast

Old 07-11-21, 02:14 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J
It wasn't a true tour of which I'm disappointed, we just weren't able to do it physically but we had a blast and know we can do a ride week or more tour, longer then our weekend tours we've done to this point ...
Lots of ways to slice the onion. I'm not a "twelve cities in fifteen days" type of person myself. I'd much rather do a trip like you guys did, hitting some high spots, doing what you wanted in bite-sized chunks, and enjoying the journey. Even if it didn't conform to others' ideas of "bike tour" (or whatever).

Many people have never been to the San Simeon region of the central California coast. IMO, it's one of the real treasures. Such natural wildness and beauty along that stretch of coastline and coastal hills. One of my favorite spots in the country, that area.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 07-12-21, 08:51 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Lots of ways to slice the onion. I'm not a "twelve cities in fifteen days" type of person myself. I'd much rather do a trip like you guys did, hitting some high spots, doing what you wanted in bite-sized chunks, and enjoying the journey. Even if it didn't conform to others' ideas of "bike tour" (or whatever).

Many people have never been to the San Simeon region of the central California coast. IMO, it's one of the real treasures. Such natural wildness and beauty along that stretch of coastline and coastal hills. One of my favorite spots in the country, that area.
Perfect climate unless you like to swim. Perfect climate for me.
Old 07-12-21, 03:08 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts
That stretch, (Big Sur to San Simeon), is particularly nice. Flying into S.F. and cycling down to Santa Barbara and taking a train to wherever works nicely. Cycling through S.F. is childs play compared to L.A. I've never made it through L.A. in one day. A cheap and usually sleazy motel is my half way stop over there.
The ride south of Eureka into Oregon is awfully nice too. Arcadia has a fair sized airport to that region if you want to cherry pick a nice ride. Sometimes it's the toughest days I fondly remember though so I don't like to cherry pick myself. Overcoming obstacles makes it all the more rewarding for me but I've always been a Jack London kind of guy.
Whatever kind of touring you do is all about overcoming to some degree otherwise why do it. Credit card touring is fun too they tell me. There are no judgements amongst the bike touring crowd in my experience. 😁
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 07-12-21, 08:49 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
That stretch, (Big Sur to San Simeon), is particularly nice. Flying into S.F. and cycling down to Santa Barbara and taking a train to wherever works nicely. Cycling through S.F. is childs play compared to L.A. I've never made it through L.A. in one day. A cheap and usually sleazy motel is my half way stop over there.
The ride south of Eureka into Oregon is awfully nice too. Arcadia has a fair sized airport to that region if you want to cherry pick a nice ride. Sometimes it's the toughest days I fondly remember though so I don't like to cherry pick myself. Overcoming obstacles makes it all the more rewarding for me but I've always been a Jack London kind of guy.
Whatever kind of touring you do is all about overcoming to some degree otherwise why do it. Credit card touring is fun too they tell me. There are no judgements amongst the bike touring crowd in my experience. 😁
The more I read this thread the more I like it.......
Old 07-14-21, 06:30 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820

One of our unexpected fun finds was the beach just north of San Simeon with the Elephant Seals. We stayed at The Morgan Hotel which had a good Mexican food restaurant right next door.
Old 07-14-21, 06:44 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
I thought I'd put few picture up.

Fun picture from the 17 Mile Drive.

Amazing beauty during the ride south of Carmel

I can't believe my wife trusts me riding on the back of our tandem with cliffs just to the right and no control. :-)

My smile shows how much I was enjoying this day.
Likes For Paul J:
Old 07-18-21, 07:45 PM
Cycle Tourist

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts

Looks familiar ☺️
Likes For Cycle Tourist: