Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Base layer

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Base layer

Old 07-21-21, 08:57 PM
Stanley1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Base layer

How many of you wear a base layer? I understand wearing one when you need something to keep warmer. But what is the point when it is warm outside?

Last edited by Stanley1; 07-22-21 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-21-21, 09:14 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
I don’t see why you would in hot weather. At least I never do. When it’s cold, a layer of merino wool under my long sleeve jersey is the best thing ever.
Old 07-21-21, 09:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Sun protection, and especially when it's dry the fabric can spread your sweat out over a wider area of your body so it's evaporates more quickly. I wear one when I need the UPF.
Old 07-21-21, 11:02 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 178 Posts
I wear a base layer year round. In warm weather (up to 100 degrees F give or take so far) it works great for wicking the sweat away from my skin and keeping me comfortable.

For summer I wear a Craft sleeveless baselayer. In winter, I have long and short sleeve merino base layers to wear.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 07-21-21, 11:47 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
You're not always going to be hot even when it's hot out. A base layer can help regulate temperature.

Also some of my bib straps and jerseys feel scratchy against bare skin.
Likes For surak:
Old 07-22-21, 02:45 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I live in the south with brutal humidity and I wear a Castelli mesh baselayer and I keep my jersey zipped down about halfway. It works as an evaporate air conditioning system that houses in the desert have. The air is cooled as it flows through the wet mesh. They absolutely work (or I wouldn't wear it). It keeps your skin from getting wet and clammy and sticky and your jersey doesn't get as soaked. They're light and thin, you can literally ball it up in your fist. It's one of those "don't knock it until you try it" deals.

I also ride sportbikes and in the summer I wear a cooling vest under my perforated leather jacket. It's a vest you soak in water before you put it on and it's like having a mini AC system.
Old 07-22-21, 04:38 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Stanley1
How many of you a wear base layer? I understand wearing one when you need something to keep warmer. But what is the point when it is warm outside?
Always. Insulated (thin) short sleeve for winter, wicking waffle weave type for summer. Winter is about staying warm and wicking sweat off the body to prevent chills, and in summer about wicking sweat to the outside to evaporate to stay cool. Works much better than a jersey alone.
Old 07-22-21, 07:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
I wear them. I have a few from Voler and Craft. The Craft mesh is significantly nicer than Voler in fit and material.
None of them keep me dry in the summer, but I still wear them because I like to unzip halfway and take advantage of the cooling feel since the baselayer is wet.

Baselayers do nothing to keep my jerseys dry. If I sweat, I will sweat and it wont magically stay at the baselayer level. I wear clothing that is next to my body for moisture transfer blah blah yada yada, but the technical BS is just that for me- BS. In the end it doesnt keep me cool or dry.
I dont think it makes me measurably warmer though.
Old 07-22-21, 08:37 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Yes. Year round. Bib straps and zipper flaps chafe. Good quality and skin-tight fit are essential.
Old 07-22-21, 08:45 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Always. I have winter base layers and summer base layers and everything in between.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-22-21, 08:49 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11318 Post(s)
Liked 4,632 Times in 2,698 Posts
https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/p/...r%20Collection

The compression fit works well for me.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 07-22-21, 09:21 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Stanley1
But what is the point when it is warm outside?
Mostly it's about looking Euro-cool when you unzip and let the jersey fly.

I do have one hot weather mesh base layer, but with my jerseys and my riding conditions, I can't say that I've noticed any improved cooling effect. But others swear by them, so give 'em a try and see what you think.
Old 07-22-21, 10:40 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
I’ve learned something today. I didn’t know these hot weather base layers were a thing. Will have to look into adding one to my biking wardrobe, because it’s been stupid hot here, but I still like to ride.

Thanks for the good question, Stanley1!
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-22-21, 11:00 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
It's interesting how the same question can get a different predominant response. Other times, this has gotten more of "no way that's stupid' type of feedback.

I almost always wear a base layer, & think one of the main advantages is less dehydration because of more efficient cooling.
Old 07-22-21, 11:06 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/p/...r%20Collection

The compression fit works well for me.
Got a couple of those on your recommendation last summer. They're good and could be found for about $18.
Old 07-22-21, 11:23 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Base layers winter or summer are a good thought. Summer riding in Texas can be more than hot. When the temps in three digits the pavement can bake you from below. You need sun protection on your arms and legs and insulation.

I have to sacrifice speed by wearing light colored loose clothing top and bottom and the speed reduction is significant. If its really hot I might wear a light cotton T-shirt underneath and a pair of thin liner shorts under my spandex to protect against heat rash. My wife was looking at me funny last year when I had to get a ride in and it was about 102°F. I had my light weight loose cotton stirrup pants on and a long sleeve white shirt with a cravat under my helmet to protect my neck. She laughed and said you look like your going to go pick water melons in the valley. Yep... I got my ride in...

As to the OP: Yes I wear a base layer when Hot or Cold. I don't like to but I do. Kinda like my helmet...
Old 07-22-21, 01:47 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Yes I wear Under Armor Heat Compression tank tops. At least I think that's what they are called. I like the fact that they help protect against bib straps and zipper chafes. Plus they wick the sweat away from my skin which is a bonus.
Old 07-22-21, 02:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Mirror fabric cools wearer by 5* C

🙂

Give it a few years.
Old 07-22-21, 06:05 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
The philosophy behind a base layer in heat is vaguely like the fins on a radiator: you are increasing the overall surface for heat transfer by making it three-dimensional.

On the other hand summer jerseys are already designed to do that so it is not clear to me how it is going to add much if you already have a mesh jersey that wicks well. And there is a trade-off of more fabric meaning more insulation and heat retention vs more fabric meaning more surface area for evaporative cooling.

So far I have not used a base layer in heat. If they were $5 I'd buy one and try it out. I recently watched some pro bike races in heat and recall seeing a lot more bare unzipped chests than unzipped jerseys with base layers showing.
Old 07-22-21, 08:17 PM
Stanley1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It appears that the Tour guys don't wear them.
Old 07-24-21, 02:52 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Some do. It's a personal preference thing.
Old 07-24-21, 02:25 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I really like hydrophobic, skin-tight mesh undershirts. I have a shirts from Craft and Giordana I wear most often, the cheap ones from Amazon are fine too. I'm a particularly heavy sweater and prone to salt-buildup and chafing. On long rides this can become such an issue that I almost need to stop. I find I can can wear mesh undershirts even on the hottest days and they prevent any chafing of my upper body. I don't find they make me much warmer.
Old 07-24-21, 04:08 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4272 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
I prefer a base layer for comfort all year round and I wear them on the indoor trainer without a jersey too. Assos are my favourites, summer and fall versions. Summer base layers provide additional sun protection too.
Old 07-24-21, 05:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
IMO it depends on how loose your jersey is. If your jersey is skin-tight, and for hot weather it should be, then adding a baselayer simply increases insulation. If your jersey is loose, so that it's not saturated with your sweat, a baselayer might help if you unzip half-way so you can get air over it. I've tried it both ways. The biggest difference is of course when climbing when there's not as much airflow. The closer your sweat is to airflow, the faster it will evaporate. When I take off my tight climbing jersey, it's dry by the time I get it off.. I ride in a dry climate which can get quite hot.
Old 07-24-21, 08:37 PM
Stanley1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Part of the reason I asked the question is that I have a base-layer garment that I bought probably 20 years ago. I bought it to help me, I thought to stay warm. When I wore it, in 55-60 degree weather I found that I froze myself. I had thought that it was was for cold weather since it had a long sleeves. Obviously, I discovered that this was intended for warm weather. I hardly wore it since. But after all this conversation I wore it this week on a day when the temperature was 80 and the humidity was very high. Must admit, that it kept me cooler. There is the bulkiness of an extra piece of clothing. But I was surprised that overall it felt cooler.