Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Tall mount for Garmin GPS?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-22, 12:04 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts

I've got a 1030 with the standard mount. Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to require about 3" of clearance on the bar to get around the stem bolts. While I always admired Captain Dashboard (2008-04-17 - Kickstand Comics featuring Yehuda Moon), I'd like to be able to fit my hands on the bars, too. Does somebody make a quarter-turn lock compatible mount that's perhaps 1/4-3/8" taller than Garmin's factory mount so I can mount the GPS over the stem?
Old 08-15-22, 12:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I'm trying to understand why you are having an issue. Garmin usually includes an out front mount and their age old plastic mount with all the rubber bands.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/571684

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/65215

I don't see how either can interfere with your stem bolts. My drop bars are only 38 cm wide and I don't have any issues putting my hands that sometimes require XXL gloves on the bars.
Old 08-15-22, 03:02 PM
pdlamb

Issue? I don't care to have the mount sticking out in front, and the GPS unit strikes my stem unless it's mounted far enough away from the stem to avoid interference.
Old 08-15-22, 03:14 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Maybe one of these ?. Installs on the 2 top bolts of the stem front plate. Turn it 180 degrees so it installs over the stem ? Or use the mount that attaches with the rubber bands, place it on the h-bar to either side of the stem.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Tek-Out-...ps%2C81&sr=8-3
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 08-16-22, 07:16 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Maybe a top cap mount?
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 08-16-22, 07:47 AM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Maybe one of these ?. Installs on the 2 top bolts of the stem front plate. Turn it 180 degrees so it installs over the stem ? Or use the mount that attaches with the rubber bands, place it on the h-bar to either side of the stem.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Tek-Out-...ps%2C81&sr=8-3
Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 08-16-22, 07:48 AM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Maybe a top cap mount?
Hmph, what a dummy I am! I remember seeing one of these but since I didn't need it then, I forgot about it.
Old 08-16-22, 10:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Issue? I don't care to have the mount sticking out in front, and the GPS unit strikes my stem unless it's mounted far enough away from the stem to avoid interference.
Strikes your stem? I'm still not understanding why your bike is so different than apparently every other that hasn't had an issue like what seems to be bothering you. It's not that I'm trying to trivialize your concern, it's just that essentially you have said you want something else, but not what would satisfy your needs. You only said you want to be able to fit your hands on the bars too. And my hands fit on my bars with the mounts Garmin provides with the units.

You can put the out from mount on either side of the stem and then your GPS unit will either be offset from the stem or roughly inline with the stem. Whichever floats your boat.

And with the plastic mount, you can put it on the stem where it's out of the way of the stem bolts and not where you might want to put your hands. I used that for about 10 years before moving to a out front mount. Never had any issue with it.