Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Yoga

Old 05-10-22, 10:53 AM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Yoga

I definitely need to start chanting me some Namaste. My lack of flexibility needs to be addressed. Does anyone who does yoga/serious stretching exercises use any of these commercial/structured programs, or just YouTube it? I had gotten an ad for an outfit out of Canada that seemed pretty impressive. Although there is no shortage of this topic on YouTube. Thank you all.
Old 05-10-22, 02:10 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3743 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts
As I age I find it very important to stretch and I've started doing it after every workout. I don't do any special programs and I only stretch on my own, but I do a full body stretch, including trying to do a full splits. At the gym I use one of these...

Likes For work4bike:
Old 05-10-22, 07:19 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
^ Those types of stations are exceptional, for providing so many hand holds and foot holds. All sorts of stretches are possible, and one can generate noticeably greater force with many of them, while also maintaining better balance. Great stuff.

For various yoga movements, take a look at these. While most of these are far too advanced for these old bones, and they will be for most people who aren't well beyond "intermediate" stages, I find it's a good reference. Same website, but there's a section on primary yoga poses and a section on poses for flexibility.

https://www.sensational-yoga-poses.com/poses/

https://www.sensational-yoga-poses.c...exibility.html
Old 05-10-22, 08:09 PM
couldwheels
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
I only do quad and glute stretches off the bike (20 second each pose). NEVER use the backrest of your chair when sitting in front of your computer or working.

For back stretches, I do it entirely on the bike. Begin the first five minutes of the ride in small gears, minimal resistance, riding SLOWLY while hands on the drops with elbows bent. Relaxed, not tensed in that position. You shouldn't feel any pain, soreness, feeling overstretched when doing it. If you do, back it off a bit. Pedal at high rpm cadence but otherwise legs relaxed and at low power output level (recovery level effort).

I did some yoga before but found the above to be better for me.
Old 05-11-22, 07:30 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
fwiw - I do a handful of yoga stretches but Wifey goes to traditional classroom type yoga classes, at the gym. she also does zumba classes. during lockdowns, etc., she did the same using zoom meetings with her laptop
Old 05-11-22, 07:43 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Yoga is amazing. They have good apps out there that allow you to customize a guided workout. Even at the noob level it's hard af.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 05-12-22, 12:47 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
You don't have to do yoga to stretch. They are related but not mutually exclusive.
Likes For HeyItsSara:
Old 05-30-22, 07:58 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
As I age I find it very important to stretch and I've started doing it after every workout. I don't do any special programs and I only stretch on my own, but I do a full body stretch, including trying to do a full splits. At the gym I use one of these...

I avoid stretching after workout. It has caused cramps and even muscle injury.

I do stretch but only before workouts. Not after.
Old 07-15-22, 11:26 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Mrs. Road Fan and I take a yoga group lesson once a week (90 minutes) and I have for about 10 years. Cost is about $14 each / lesson. I don't really have a perspective on what are beginner poses versus intermediate or advanced. We do Iyengar yoga, which has levels for nearly sedentary seniors up to mid-80's (at least, depends on ability), and a '30's mom just started bringing her 11 year old. Props are recommended for those needing them.

Having a qualified teacher is a really important part of getting a good start. The positions can be extremely beneficial, but also can be harmful if done incorrectly. A big part of it is getting enough supervised experience to recognize when your self-practice is more than you can handle or exceeds your comfort level. I don't see how you get that from a website of Youtube. "Just do what you can do" is important, but you have to learn to recognize the level of effort or stretch you could get into. Your capability grows - only this last year am I getting close to touching the floor with my knees locked, and learning to relax in a head or shoulder stand, to just be there and breathe.

We stretch a lot in this class but do not do it much at home. But all our physical activities, even getting up from the TV chair to get another beer, are a lot easier! Some of it is just increased strength, but that's not a bad thing, right?
Old 08-11-22, 06:23 PM
Sunwukong

Bikes: Ribble R872, single speed frankencycle

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Surya Namaskar is a perfect yoga flow for cycling
Old 09-22-22, 06:39 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
FYI... stretching doesn't have to be coupled to an Eastern religion like it is with yoga. I.e., yoga is tightly coupled with Hinduism.

Thus, if you'd like to improve your flexibility w/o the religious overtones, I've found "primal movement" to be helpful way to combine flexibility and strength training all-in-one. As a cyclist, our core and upper bodies are typically very weak, so it's helpful to increase strength as well as flexibility. A quick search for "primal movement" should return all sorts of free videos.
Old 09-24-22, 06:49 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
FYI... stretching doesn't have to be coupled to an Eastern religion like it is with yoga. I.e., yoga is tightly coupled with Hinduism.

Thus, if you'd like to improve your flexibility w/o the religious overtones, I've found "primal movement" to be helpful way to combine flexibility and strength training all-in-one. As a cyclist, our core and upper bodies are typically very weak, so it's helpful to increase strength as well as flexibility. A quick search for "primal movement" should return all sorts of free videos.
The world of yoga has many aspects, variations. Some being very 'spiritual' and some tied to Buddhism, Hinduism and a few other eastern religious currents.
Hatha Yoga is what most of us recognize as the form of yoga we are exposed to - the combination of movements and poses and personal 'intent' we get in classes, studios, etc.
The advantage of Hatha Yoga is that it has a very long tradition and history of doing, learning and instructing. Primary is the internal focus awareness of the self, which doesn;t require a 'religious' intent. Also Primary is a physical experience which is well balanced to address the body's integration of all physical and mental aspects.
You mention 'primal movement', I'll add 'Foundation', and I'm sure there are more variants of all these.
The major plus I find from Hatha Yoga IS the strong foundation of instructional strength. In the years I've done my yoga practice and also attended 'classes' with a variety of 'instructors', I continue to learn new things about myself, my being. In spite of the differences of each instructor, their general direction and application of yoga to their participants have been centered on each participant's current state, their needs, and finding ways to help each integrate their physical and mental being towards a more 'holistic' form. This is generally not an easy thing to convey. But yoga, over the long period seems well constructed for that task.
In any case, Yoga, like cycling, can be different things to each of us. Those who want to add some 'religious' aspect can easily do so, but not required.
Yoga, if done with a group or 'instructor', is best done 'In Person', not video. Yes, video is convenient, but quite a bit less effective in conveying the full aspect of what yoga can bring to a person.
Ride On
Yuri - not an Instructor, but I do know a good thing, when I have it...
Old 09-26-22, 01:20 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Good yoga is great. Made my legs stronger!
Old 11-17-22, 11:43 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 77 Posts
I follow this channel. My back gives me fits during the winter if I dont complete some yoga on a regular basis. https://www.youtube.com/@GentleYogaandWellness
Old 01-16-23, 01:38 PM
WT21

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
I do at least 15 minutes and up to 30 mins of ashtanga-based stretching. Mostly what I've picked up from Beach Body, so not "proper yoga." But yoga helps with flexibility, core and strength. I've been doing this for probably 10+ years now, so most the routines I do are my own, but Beach Body has a nice Yoga studio with a TON of workouts in their annual subscription plan, if you are into that kind of thing (my wife likes Beach Body for many of the other workouts, too).