Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rails got knocked out of saddle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 09:27 PM
frigidformself

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Last night I fell off my bike, there was no real damage except that the bike seat popped off the rails. Does anyone know how to put the rails back in, do i need to take it to a shop, or just buy a new seat?

I'd rather not buy a new seat because I just bought this bike a month ago.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 06-22-07, 10:40 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Selle Italia? ProNet

Selle Italia: ProNet
The rail popped out of the saddle. Can I fix it?
The rail can pop out of the saddle if it's hit hard enough; the base flexes one way and the rail another. Don't try to reinsert the rail yourself. It takes a special tool to do this right. Send your saddle to the address below and we'll inspect it and re-insert the rail if the saddle is still sound. The charges are as follows:

Rail popped completely out - $4.50 postage only;
Rail popped out on one side - $15 plus $4. 50 postage (the rail has to be cut and replaced);
Rail bent or broken - $15 plus $ 4.50 postage;
Replace rail with tubular titanium rail - $30 plus$4.50 postage.

Don't send any money! But do send your snail mail address and email address. We will repair the saddle (if possible), return it and include a letter indicating the amount owed. Cyclists are honest (mostly)!

ProNet, Inc.
910 N Cambrian Avenue
Bremerton WA 98312
phone +1-360-782-2477
Toll free 800 279-3793
fax +1-360-782-2479
info@ProNetCycling.com
Old 06-24-07, 11:33 AM
ajd
+++ NO COURIER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same thing happened to me in exactly the same way -- the no-name saddle that came with brand-new bike popped apart on its second ride. LBS where I bought the bike replaced the saddle for free. The replacement saddle lasted ten years.
Old 06-26-07, 01:44 PM
cyclekharma

Bikes: 2004 Cervelo R2.5, 2003 Litespeed Capella, 2002 Cannondale R2000si

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rails popped out of the stock saddle on my brand new Cannondale R2000si in a 80km charity ride a few years ago for no apparent reason. Took about half an hour for the local boy scouts to pop the rails back in - and only after bending the base of the saddle on a wire security fence to get the leverage needed. It was only my second ride ever on this bike.

Took the saddle back to the bike shop to get it replaced stating that it was a faulty saddle. I was told by the bike shop that the rails would NEVER pop out without considerable force and they refused to acknowledge responsibility or replace with a brand new saddle, only with a well used 1lb comfort saddle. Needless to say, I have not since been back to this bike shop.
Old 07-02-07, 12:15 PM
frigidformself

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I actually just took the saddle back to the bike shop where I had bought my bike. The guy was nice about it, took the seat into the back and had the rails back in the saddle in about 15 minutes at no charge.
Likes For frigidformself:
Old 07-02-07, 12:30 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclekharma
Took the saddle back to the bike shop to get it replaced stating that it was a faulty saddle. I was told by the bike shop that the rails would NEVER pop out without considerable force and they refused to acknowledge responsibility or replace with a brand new saddle, only with a well used 1lb comfort saddle. Needless to say, I have not since been back to this bike shop.
Well that's brilliant, because your LBS was right. They should however have at least fixed it for you.
Old 07-17-14, 10:09 PM
Bwanna

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Old thread, but thought I'd share...

After boiling the saddle for about five minutes was able to soften the plastic lip on my seat enough to bend it up, slide the rail nose in, and then bend it back down. Held it with the channel locks until it cooled, and it appears to be good as new:

Likes For Bwanna:
Old 07-18-14, 06:17 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
mmm....saddle soup!
Likes For Soil_Sampler:
Old 01-13-23, 09:15 AM
kokyman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At this address: RED DIT (DOT) com/r/bikewrench/comments/10awbuf/saddle_rail_popped_out_cant_get_it_back_in_my/

...is my solution !
Old 01-13-23, 11:39 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by kokyman
At this address: RED DIT (DOT) com/r/bikewrench/comments/10awbuf/saddle_rail_popped_out_cant_get_it_back_in_my/

...is my solution !
Just so you are aware the thread is from 2007 and got zombied first in 2014. The issue has been solved for the OP and probably the first zombies as well. BF doesn't allow links to the R site (for reasons of NSFW content like adult pictures and videos) and also new members must make 10 posts in active threads in order to post links and pictures. (to prevent spam of course). If you are here to be a bike forums member please find some of the many currently active threads from 2023 and get involved there is some great stuff to weigh in on or provide great info for. Just avoid content that is older than a couple months you can see the date and time of post in the upper left hand corner of the post in blue like this:
Old 01-13-23, 11:51 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
@veganbikes, why the hatred of old threads with good info in them being dredged up? I've never see anything on what to do with popped rails. I haven't done it yet so it hasn't mattered to me but I appreciate learning what I never would have seen if kokyman hadn't revived this. If I ever pop a rail, I now know what to look for and a couple of sources that may be out of business now but who might be able to steer me elsewhere.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-13-23, 12:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
@veganbikes, why the hatred of old threads with good info in them being dredged up? I've never see anything on what to do with popped rails. I haven't done it yet so it hasn't mattered to me but I appreciate learning what I never would have seen if kokyman hadn't revived this. If I ever pop a rail, I now know what to look for and a couple of sources that may be out of business now but who might be able to steer me elsewhere.
Because there is just no need to dredge up old threads unless to read them which can easily be done by searching either here or sometimes the googles does it as well. If the thread was still active it would make sense but it died in 2007. Yes the info is fine but the info would still be fine if it was left alone because in the end there are probably hundreds or thousands of threads with excellent information that would bury current discussion or make BF unusable with all the stickies.
Old 02-03-23, 03:02 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Because there is just no need to dredge up old threads unless to read them which can easily be done by searching either here or sometimes the googles does it as well. If the thread was still active it would make sense but it died in 2007. Yes the info is fine but the info would still be fine if it was left alone because in the end there are probably hundreds or thousands of threads with excellent information that would bury current discussion or make BF unusable with all the stickies.
Veganbikes, why do you need to impose your opinion on everyone else about what is and is not of value? It should not be that there is only one way to stumble across something that one may find useful. Most of us do not already know the full of what could be found.
Old 02-03-23, 10:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
The dislike of old threads has always seemed a bit narrowminded IMO. Something about failure to learn from the past and being doomed to repeat mistakes.

I've dealt with a number of these "popped rails" situations and have less then good results in fixing them. A few of the ones that I managed to reseat have repopped in time. On a few tries the rails bent, on others I gave up. Andy
Old 02-03-23, 11:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Veganbikes, why do you need to impose your opinion on everyone else about what is and is not of value? It should not be that there is only one way to stumble across something that one may find useful. Most of us do not already know the full of what could be found.
Why do you need to impose your opinion in the same manner. It is an online forum people have opinions and share them that is the whole reason we are here. We aren't just wanting an echo chamber right?

Y'all have a good night
Old 02-06-23, 07:35 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
I suspect kokyman and other new posters could feel pounced upon and search out more relaxed/accepting forums.
Old 03-09-23, 11:37 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Why do you need to impose your opinion in the same manner. It is an online forum people have opinions and share them that is the whole reason we are here. We aren't just wanting an echo chamber right?

Y'all have a good night
Thanks, you too!
Old 03-10-23, 03:26 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I see this all too often. New members dredge old threads - that's how Google works, it directs them to these threads. Then old-timers dogpile on the newbie for reviving an ancient thread. On the other side of the coin, if a newbie starts a new thread, old-timers dogpile for not using the search function. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-10-23, 04:16 PM
Road Fan

I'm not a newbie. I just like to see people find what they need.
Old 03-11-23, 08:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Thanks, you too!
I believe I did, thanks! I wish there was way more night hours somehow I could use the sleep ; )