Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

HITT intervals (just starting out)

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 09-24-22, 08:20 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts

It appears that my training is lacking in HITT work. Although I push myself once a week I'm never doing it in a structured format. I'm going to be using my Garmin to setup some timed intervals. I plan on doing the "work" part of the interval as high as I can stand for about 30 seconds and then rest for 1 min and then repeat. My question is, how long should the "rest" period be? Should I wait until my HR lowers to a certain percentage of MAX HR or just use a timed interval? What would be a goal for my "work" portion of the interval, 30sec, 1,5,10min? I realize everyone is different so I'm thinking there may be some common wisdom as per percentages etc.
Old 09-24-22, 09:20 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
There are zillions of different protocols for HIIT. I think the most common are full gas for 30"-45", recovery between intervals 2X-3X the length of the interval. Ignore your HR, just do them. A common schedule is 10'-15' of warmup, 15' total for the intervals, 15' cool-down. You're using the right amount of gas if you couldn't do it for 60" without blowing up. Full gas.

They're usually done indoors, but I've enjoyed doing them as hill sprints outdoors, but with a different protocol: 30"-45" full gas out of the saddle, then 5' easy spinning between. This is a different workout, more akin to speed work than HIIT, but is very effective. Do them until you're not making it as far up the hill anymore, say 5 or 6 repeats. A famous coach published this, similar: https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/a...urance-events/
That's 4:40, etc. between sprints.
Old 09-28-22, 07:51 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
A common schedule is 10'-15' of warmup, 15' total for the intervals, 15' cool-down.
CFB is on the money.

The easy spinning warm-ups and cool-downs are very important. Boring but important.

Here's an interval I like:
Over Unders - 2 x 8 minute O/U around 90-95 rpm
warm up > 3 min at steady state (90-95% max) > 1 min max > 3 min steady state > 1 min max > 5 min rest, easy spinning at good rpm > repeat > cool down

Got the 2 x 8 min beat, add a 3rd repeat. Next month make it 10 minutes; 4 min steady state > 1 m max > 4 m steady state > 1 m max

Last edited by BTinNYC; 09-28-22 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-29-22, 07:32 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the info and tips. I've been reading as much as I can in order to understand my computer generated training results in order to make sure I'm going in the right direction. I really need to structure some of my workouts and this info helps. I never seem to advance as much as I think I should for the amount of time I'm in the saddle and have decided to back off of my random attempts at improving and really put pen to paper.
Old 09-29-22, 11:32 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
I do a least 2 HIIT workouts per week. The workout below is a structured warmup and then 3 sets of 8x(30”on 1’off) with rest between sets and then recovery ride. I did this on my TT bike on the road (flat) but sometimes I do it on the road bike but always in the drops. One set is not enough to generate results/adaptation. One may only be able to do one set but that is another matter. Picking the right power level for the on segment is important. Too much and it is impossible to finish and not enough and it is not functional. I also do 1’on 2’ off in the same format and 30”on 30”off but that is 10 reps and 6 sets with rest between sets.

Last edited by Hermes; 09-29-22 at 01:39 PM.
Likes For Hermes: