Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cold weather commuting: Down, Synthetic, or Waterproof jacket

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Cold weather commuting: Down, Synthetic, or Waterproof jacket

Old 10-14-22, 05:58 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
I wore a Gortex anorak jacket with under helmet hood on top of a gore waterproof cap. With the helmet tightened down, feels constricted. More difficult to turn your head side to side. I wonder if over the helmet hood would be more comfortable.

Also I only rode in the rain a few times. Never been able to stay dry. Either water gets through the flat pedal Velcro shoe covers, or neck area.

All the hoodless waterproof cycling jackets I tried on, when fully zipped, there’s a gap at the neck. I keep wondering how do cyclists keep the water out. Can’t be just a neck warmer.
Old 10-15-22, 07:43 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
I wore a Gortex anorak jacket with under helmet hood on top of a gore waterproof cap. With the helmet tightened down, feels constricted. More difficult to turn your head side to side. I wonder if over the helmet hood would be more comfortable.
I think this depends on the cut of the hood, and the material it's made of. The Showers Pass jacket I linked to has sufficient slack in the hood to allow me to move my head with very little restriction. It's thin enough to fit under the helmet, and waterproof so there's no need to wear anything under it. I *have* worn jackets with hoods large enough to fit over the helmet, but my recollection of them is that they were more restrictive of head movement.

Originally Posted by b88
All the hoodless waterproof cycling jackets I tried on, when fully zipped, there’s a gap at the neck. I keep wondering how do cyclists keep the water out.
I had a really nice Pearl Izumi jacket that was quite waterproof, but had no hood. There were attachment points for a hood but none was available from PI; they said "any hood would work". This was not the case. The neck *was* water-tight, so I just had to cover my head. I found a Gore-tex helmet cover that made my head look like a mushroom. There was complete freedom of head motion, as you'd expect.

EDIT: I forgot to mention my shoe covers. I bought a pair of THESE a few years ago. They are not completely impervious to water for some reason, but in a downpour my shoes will only be slightly damp on the surface. They're sort of baggy, but they are easy to whip out of my backpack and put on if I'm caught in a sudden rain. They are not suitable for walking significant distances because of their bagginess. They've worn fairly well over the years. I keep thinking about spraying them with ScotchGuard but haven't gotten around to it.

Last edited by sweeks; 10-15-22 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-15-22, 02:46 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Long time ago I've given up trying to stay dry in the rain. It's an impossible task. If you wear waterproof clothing you will be soaked with sweat. If you don't wear waterproof clothing you will get soaked with rain. I just hate the feeling of wearing anything that's waterproof. My priority is to keep warm, so I layer up with fleece and merrino wool. As long as I am warm I don't mind being wet. Some higher quality fleece clothing is surprisingly effective for cold rain. If it's below freezing I layer up and also add a wind resistant vest on those very cold frigid days.
Old 10-15-22, 03:55 PM
b88

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Long time ago I've given up trying to stay dry in the rain. It's an impossible task. If you wear waterproof clothing you will be soaked with sweat. If you don't wear waterproof clothing you will get soaked with rain. I just hate the feeling of wearing anything that's waterproof. My priority is to keep warm, so I layer up with fleece and merrino wool. As long as I am warm I don't mind being wet. Some higher quality fleece clothing is surprisingly effective for cold rain. If it's below freezing I layer up and also add a wind resistant vest on those very cold frigid days.

Last time I rode in the rain only about 30km wearing a gortex shell and waterproof cap, I was sweaty. It was about 20C. But given the choice in very cold wet weather, maybe I might choose the gortex route and get a little sweaty than fully drenched. As long as my butt stays dry I guess. And waterproof socks. It's the freezing fingertips that do me in every time. That and watering eyes. With a thermal cap on under the helmet covering the ears, the glasses don't stay on tight. I think goggles would work but only if I manage to find the slimmest pair.

Last edited by b88; 10-15-22 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-15-22, 10:46 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
These Leg Shields are overkill for keeping pants cuffs out of chainrings, but when I bought them decent cuff collars hadn't been invented. However, as light, compact, gaiters, Leg Shields seem to be better for cyclists than hikers gaiters are. If dry feet are what is wanted, my wife swears by Adidas booties. Too small for my XL American hooves. I just put plastic bags over my socks. Wet, yes, but warm. Warm and wet isn't so bad. Really.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 10-16-22, 07:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
These Leg Shields are overkill for keeping pants cuffs out of chainrings, but when I bought them decent cuff collars hadn't been invented. However, as light, compact, gaiters, Leg Shields seem to be better for cyclists than hikers gaiters are
would those be good as shin guards under work pants?
Old 10-18-22, 12:03 AM
b88

Originally Posted by rumrunn6

They look good enough for attacking dogs while trying to outrun them. Do they wrap around completely.
Likes For b88:
Old 10-18-22, 12:10 AM
b88

I just saw this stainless steel thermal bottle that keeps liquids hot for 12 hrs and liquids cold for 24 hrs. Always an exaggeration. Made by Eline. Called Deboyo Race. Then they have the plastic Nano Fly 0-100 thermal bottle which keeps stuff hot for 4 hours. No prices and when you try to enter your location, nothing happens. Stainless steel at freezing temperatures. Who has tried this.
Old 10-18-22, 12:12 AM
b88

came across these pics I must have shared in another thread
Altra Running

I can't make out what brand this is

but maybe looking for "running gaiters" would yield something lightweight

Bottom pair appears to be REI hiking gaiter. Quite a few negative reviews.

Last edited by b88; 10-18-22 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-18-22, 08:46 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
They look good enough for attacking dogs while trying to outrun them. Do they wrap around completely.
They wrap around completely but, really, they aren't even as thick as a scuba divers wetsuit. Dog teeth are SHARP. I was bit once and the dog wasn't even trying hard. I was shocked at how deep the scratches were. So ... no good for dog defense, and probably not useful in any kind of hard hat environment.
Likes For Leisesturm: