Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

MTB winter cycling boots

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

MTB winter cycling boots

Old 10-18-22, 11:20 PM
Bent4life 

Bikes: Bachetta Ti Aero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
MTB winter cycling boots

I need some advice on a warm MTB winter cycling boot. No off-road riding just a commute to work on good roads. I ride a recumbent so cleats are a must have. Ordered some 45 North Ragnaroks but wearing a midweight wool sock they are too tight in the toe box.

Living in the Midwest I was hoping I could continue riding in 15–30-degree F temps.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-22, 08:51 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
With winter clothing, I struggle with "temperature range overlap"--the high end of one item has a few degrees gap between the low-end range of the lighter item, or there's a lot of overlap.

Your 15-30F desired range crosses two of my ranges:

For -5F to about 25F, I use Lake MXZ 303X Wide Winter Cycling Shoes
For 25F to lower 40s, Sidi Frost Gore Winter MTB Shoes

The 25F feels too warm for the Lakes and a little cool for the Sidis. If I could have a do-over, I'd have ordered an even larger size for the Sidis to add another pair or thicker socks than what I can currently stuff in there.
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 10-20-22, 10:48 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Bent4life
Ordered some 45 North Ragnaroks but wearing a midweight wool sock they are too tight in the toe box.
I've only read about the 45Nrth winter shoes, never tried them, so this is just conjecture...but, given how warm the 45Nrth boots ostensibly are, do you need to wear a midweight wool sock with them?
Or, step up from the Ragnarok to the Wolvhammer, and then allegedly you won't need any socks!