Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike day is the best kinda day!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New bike day is the best kinda day!

Old 01-24-23, 06:16 PM
  #26  
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 20,344

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8820 Post(s)
Liked 3,352 Times in 1,811 Posts
Originally Posted by Ynotnow
Gorgeous bike!
If I had to do it over I would have gotten the etched logos like you, since the decals on the downtube kind of obscure the spiral.
You can just strip the decals. The twist makes sure everyone knows what it is anyway.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 01-24-23, 09:28 PM
  #27  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 6,574

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 eTap AXS, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 846 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Not my first road bike, but definitely a first in disc brakes on the road, Di2, totally hidden cables/hoses/lines. Oh, and not being a black road bike, that's a first in a long time.
That is a sexy green and the tan side walls look fantastic with it.
__________________
Brian | 2023 Trek Domane SLR 7 eTap AXS | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5
Originally Posted by AEO
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

jaxgtr is offline  
Old 01-25-23, 11:03 AM
  #28  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,965

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Not my first road bike, but definitely a first in disc brakes on the road, Di2, totally hidden cables/hoses/lines. Oh, and not being a black road bike, that's a first in a long time.
Very nice! Not black bike is key.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-26-23, 10:01 AM
  #29  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,413

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4595 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by Ynotnow
Much appreciated!

I'd never actually ridden a road bike before a few weeks ago, and that was just test riding in a parking lot.

I'm so used to it being a necessity on a mountain bike that I didn't stop to think it might not be the case on the road.
t.
For typical scuffs and light scratches with a Ti bike, get a Scotch Brite 7448 pad or two to buff out if it should occur:
Sy Reene is offline  
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-28-23, 08:59 AM
  #30  
SSRI
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Great choice on the matching Ti STEM and Seatpost
SSRI is offline  
Likes For SSRI:
Old 01-28-23, 10:23 PM
  #31  
Ynotnow
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 7 Posts
Got a slight break in the weather, so I was able to take it on a quick 20 mile ride.

It is everything I had hoped for and more.
I actually beat my best time on this route the very first attempt on the new bike, and that's factoring in the cold temps and not being in peak riding shape.

I have been contemplating buying a nice set of carbon wheels, but I can't see how it would possibly make the bike any better.
It is incredibly fast, gets up to speed in an instant, and climbs exceptionally well, so I just can't see it making much difference.

Any carbon wheelset folks want to chime in with their experience?
Ynotnow is offline  
Old 01-28-23, 11:28 PM
  #32  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,965

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
Originally Posted by Ynotnow
Got a slight break in the weather, so I was able to take it on a quick 20 mile ride.

It is everything I had hoped for and more.
I actually beat my best time on this route the very first attempt on the new bike, and that's factoring in the cold temps and not being in peak riding shape.
Congratulations on your new bike. You should be able to beat your prior best time on this route if it was achieved on a mountain bike.

Originally Posted by Ynotnow
I have been contemplating buying a nice set of carbon wheels, but I can't see how it would possibly make the bike any better.
It is incredibly fast, gets up to speed in an instant, and climbs exceptionally well, so I just can't see it making much difference.

Any carbon wheelset folks want to chime in with their experience?
Boyd Rouleur weigh 800 g front, 960 g rear; not sure if these figures include the weight of tubeless tape or valve stems.

Rouleur Alloy Disc Wheelset – Boyd Cycling

Roval Alpinist CL II (currently on sale) weigh 606 g front, 769 g rear, including tubeless tape and valve stems.

Roval Alpinist CL II | Specialized.com

You should be able to tell a 200 g/wheel difference.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-29-23, 09:16 AM
  #33  
Lombard
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,689

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 565 Posts
Personally, I like the neoprene chainstay protectors like this one:

https://planetcyclery.com/lizard-ski...8aAjOhEALw_wcB
Lombard is online now  
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-29-23, 11:03 PM
  #34  
Ynotnow
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Congratulations on your new bike. You should be able to beat your prior best time on this route if it was achieved on a mountain bike.



Boyd Rouleur weigh 800 g front, 960 g rear; not sure if these figures include the weight of tubeless tape or valve stems.

Rouleur Alloy Disc Wheelset – Boyd Cycling

Roval Alpinist CL II (currently on sale) weigh 606 g front, 769 g rear, including tubeless tape and valve stems.

Roval Alpinist CL II | Specialized.com

You should be able to tell a 200 g/wheel difference.

Not doubting you at all, particularly since I've never road cycled, I just find it hard to wrap my head around 200 grams being noticeable.
That would be like taking a bowel movement before a ride, or losing 7 ounces of body weight would make a difference.

Had to be something else to it besides the weight that I don't understand.
Ynotnow is offline  
Likes For Ynotnow:
Old 01-30-23, 06:17 AM
  #35  
Lombard
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,689

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by Ynotnow
Not doubting you at all, particularly since I've never road cycled, I just find it hard to wrap my head around 200 grams being noticeable.
That would be like taking a bowel movement before a ride, or losing 7 ounces of body weight would make a difference.

Had to be something else to it besides the weight that I don't understand.
Rotational inertia. To be clear, 200g difference in a wheelset will not make you significantly faster, but you will feel faster because you will accelerate up to speed faster. Once up to speed though, weight is weight and 200g is negligible. IOW, if you are expecting to improve your average speed with a 200g lighter wheelset, you will be disappointed.
Lombard is online now  
Old 01-30-23, 10:27 AM
  #36  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,965

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
Originally Posted by Ynotnow
Not doubting you at all, particularly since I've never road cycled, I just find it hard to wrap my head around 200 grams being noticeable.
That would be like taking a bowel movement before a ride, or losing 7 ounces of body weight would make a difference.

Had to be something else to it besides the weight that I don't understand.
As Lombard said below, it is rotational inertia, which I hope you do not experience with your poo while riding or otherwise.

Originally Posted by Lombard
Rotational inertia. To be clear, 200g difference in a wheelset will not make you significantly faster, but you will feel faster because you will accelerate up to speed faster. Once up to speed though, weight is weight and 200g is negligible. IOW, if you are expecting to improve your average speed with a 200g lighter wheelset, you will be disappointed.
First, it is 200 g per wheel, which is definitely noticeable. Second, the rotational inertia does not only affect acceleration, but also the handling of the bike.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 01-30-23, 10:45 AM
  #37  
Lombard
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,689

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
First, it is 200 g per wheel, which is definitely noticeable. Second, the rotational inertia does not only affect acceleration, but also the handling of the bike.
This may be true. Though it is questionable as to whether this would make you significantly faster than losing 400g of static weight on your bike.
Lombard is online now  
Old 01-30-23, 01:49 PM
  #38  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,965

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Though it is questionable as to whether this would make you significantly faster than losing 400g of static weight on your bike.
1. I never said it would make Ynotnow any faster.
2. It was not clear whether Ynotnow was asking about making his new bike (a) "any better", or (b) faster only. See below.
3. In addition to rotational inertia, there is also the issue of sprung vs. unsprung mass for handling. Consider a super light weight bike with a solid disc rear wheel vs. a heavier normal bike with lighter wheels, both bikes weighing the same overall; which one would be easier to turn?

Originally Posted by Ynotnow
I have been contemplating buying a nice set of carbon wheels, but I can't see how it would possibly make the bike any better.
It is incredibly fast, gets up to speed in an instant, and climbs exceptionally well, so I just can't see it making much difference.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 01-30-23, 05:11 PM
  #39  
Lombard
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,689

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
3. In addition to rotational inertia, there is also the issue of sprung vs. unsprung mass for handling. Consider a super light weight bike with a solid disc rear wheel vs. a heavier normal bike with lighter wheels, both bikes weighing the same overall; which one would be easier to turn?
I don't know about easier. They would feel different, but I don't know that one would be easier than the other.
Lombard is online now  
Old 01-30-23, 05:20 PM
  #40  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,965

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
I don't know about easier. They would feel different, but I don't know that one would be easier than the other.
Sorry, easy to turn is inapt. Maybe "more flickable"?
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 01-30-23, 05:27 PM
  #41  
Lombard
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,689

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Sorry, easy to turn is inapt. Maybe "more flickable"?
You mean twitchy? That makes sense.
Lombard is online now  
Old 01-30-23, 05:41 PM
  #42  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,965

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
You mean twitchy? That makes sense.
No, I thought twitchy or quick steering was largely down to wheelbase, head tube angle, and front offset (caster)?

I don't know how best to articulate it in road bike terms, but it is a consensus among performance drivers that reducing unsprung weight is advantageous to both acceleration and handling, and the latter is noticeable via a lighter steering feel.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 01-30-23, 06:08 PM
  #43  
Ynotnow
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the continued input fellas!!!!
Good advice is always appreciated!

The rotational mass thing makes sense now that I think about it, but I'm left wondering if that, in itself, is worth the price of admission.

What do you folks think about a carbon wheelset making climbing easier?
Does the rotational mass thing apply there as well or is it a matter of ounces making a true difference on steep, extended, climbs?
Ynotnow is offline  
Old 01-30-23, 06:25 PM
  #44  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 10,789
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8130 Post(s)
Liked 5,277 Times in 2,892 Posts
Originally Posted by Ynotnow
Thanks for the continued input fellas!!!!
Good advice is always appreciated!

The rotational mass thing makes sense now that I think about it, but I'm left wondering if that, in itself, is worth the price of admission.

What do you folks think about a carbon wheelset making climbing easier?
Does the rotational mass thing apply there as well or is it a matter of ounces making a true difference on steep, extended, climbs?
If you can get up a hill on carbon wheels, you'll get up on aluminum wheels with no problems.

It's all about fractional gains in speed and time. Won't really make anything easier or harder in a noticeable way.
Mojo31 is offline  
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-30-23, 07:06 PM
  #45  
Lombard
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,689

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
If you can get up a hill on carbon wheels, you'll get up on aluminum wheels with no problems.

It's all about fractional gains in speed and time. Won't really make anything easier or harder in a noticeable way.
^^^This.^^^ Furthermore, there are plenty of very light alloy wheels that won't break the bank. And you don't even have to go to ridiculously low spoke counts either:

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Ro...Wheel-Set.html

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Ro...Wheel-Set.html

Since these rims are ultra light, I would recommend going with a 24F/28R spoke count for stiffness.
Lombard is online now  
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-30-23, 08:48 PM
  #46  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,965

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
I just noticed we have the same bike work stand.

Originally Posted by Ynotnow
The rotational mass thing makes sense now that I think about it, but I'm left wondering if that, in itself, is worth the price of admission.
No. But it looks cool!

Originally Posted by Ynotnow
What do you folks think about a carbon wheelset making climbing easier?
Yes, slightly. Marginal gains.

Originally Posted by Ynotnow
Does the rotational mass thing apply there as well or is it a matter of ounces making a true difference on steep, extended, climbs?
On truly slow, extended, steep climbs, the wheels are rotating much more slowly, so (of course) there is less rotational inertia. Also, when one is slogging up a steep climb, handling is much less of a concern than when speeding down a descent.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Likes For SoSmellyAir:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.