Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

angry and insane pedestrian follows me to work and complains to my boss

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

angry and insane pedestrian follows me to work and complains to my boss

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 05:01 AM
lxa

Bikes: surly cross check, univega vivatech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good read. i was hoping for a twist ending to this thread like the op revealed he really did steal her purse, or that the op was actually the lady posting this to test people or something. the deliberate generality of the story (withholding the location, how old are any of the characters actually?, etc), makes it easier for readers to imagine themselves in the scenario (as the pedestrian, as the boss, or as the op). i think it should be produced for the stage, complete with the chorus of posters reacting to the action of course.
Old 07-14-11, 05:20 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by the cyclops
Im sorry,this pic was too good not to use....
glad I could get you off...now that you've had to replace a ruined keyboard, you are a true BFer!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 07-14-11 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-14-11, 07:23 AM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Commando303
Ad-hominem points (suppositions about my age; presumptions about my upbringing) can't carry you far in a conversation. I can assume you're white, male, sixty-plus years of age; generally disillusioned by culture and annoyed by what you see as an irreverance in youth, which was happily absent a time ago. As well, you could be a sixteen-year-old girl, perhaps Mexican, in the second-floor bedroom of a Chicago apartment, who happens to feel much the same way, if from different experiences. It really doesn't bear on my regard for your position. Recall, I didn't ask you for evidence to back up your presentation of "days past"; I said it's impertinent to me whether the depiction is accurate.

I think you've lost yourself in your upset about this topic. As much is evident in the banalities you've dropped about manners and mores (not, mind you, about respect). Somewhere, maybe early, in this sickly-bloated thread, you firmly fixed yourself to making the original post an issue about age rather than about anything else. I'll briefly play the game you started, of picking on my years (to which you can naught but guess) rather than my thoughts, and suggest you're more than a little sad about not being treated the way you'd like to be. Maybe your family doesn't talk to you as you'd like; maybe your kids don't; maybe your grandkids are rapscallions; maybe the neighbors irritate you with their tone; maybe it's the news or the movies or just some unfortunate illusion in your mind. It doesn't matter.

If your feeling is that the line of what bounds acceptable conduct repositions per someone's age, you're wrong — and that is your feeling: Several times you've begun with the generality of treating persons with politeness and respect, then quickly blended in your point that special consideration must be granted from the age-difference between a pair. You're wrong; any bitterness, desperation, and else you might carry around will not take you nearer to being right.

Unless something new and interesting is said, I think I'll extract myself from this discussion, here.
My comment about your age was not an ad hominum, nor was it an attack. It was a comment about why you seem so put out by the very concept of what defines rude behavior. The youth/younger generation were raised without proper boundaries and enforcement of civil behavior. Your "anger" at the very concept is an excellent example. Along with your homer simpson avator--a program which epitomizes the glorification of uncivil behavior.

Respect is all about manners and mores--at least as it applies to strangers...

Sorry I am not wrong about what used to be considered (and still is by the civilized) polite behavior. And your insistance that such behavior is granting "special privileges" just underscores that you don't get it. You seem typical of your generation. Which frankly is something that hasn't changed over time, but what has changed is we now allow the young to set the acceptable standards for a society... Well that isn't really true, we just let the lowest common denominator define "acceptable" in almost any situation.

Oh, and I have no problem with how I am treated... Perhaps you missed my point that such uncivil behavior is simply a reflection of the character of the uncivil individual (that and how they were raised). You do seem to have a tendency to put a personal spin on things... Perhaps you are sensitive about your own age and manners... Perhaps you've heard the "respect for your elders" from a family member and feel a little guilty about your own behavior...

On a related note, there was a story in my local paper about a mother who was upset because an emergency room doctor gave her a "prescription" for her son... He is in need of a spanking... The reaction. The doctor was terminated and the women (who described herself as overprotective) is of course suing the hospital for monetary compensation... I don't think there can be any doubt that the doctor simply pointed out the obvious. Or that the child is likely to grow up to be much like the OP (or even worse)...
Old 07-14-11, 07:28 AM
iheartbenben

Bikes: Raleigh R600 105/DA, Specialized Allez Elite 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe she will get what's coming.

Old 07-14-11, 07:36 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
The thread isn't over until someone gets a spanking...
Old 07-14-11, 07:44 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
The thread isn't over until someone gets a spanking...
now you're just trying to turn me on
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-14-11, 08:05 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Have we successfully scared the OP off yet?

Old 07-14-11, 09:07 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
will the Queen do?

Philip doesn't care.
Old 07-14-11, 03:08 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's always fun to read the first, then last page of a thread this epic.
Old 07-14-11, 03:59 PM
the cyclops

Bikes: 2010 Jamis allegro 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
now you're just trying to turn me on
Old 07-14-11, 08:18 PM
Pete In Az

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kengrubb
Yes, but use in what capacity? I suppose, for a rat infestation, one could post copies of the picture and it should work better than a skilled piper. However, it might blind the rats, and then one would be stuck with a bunch of blind rats scampering about.
Not to mention the possibility of a butchers wife/carving knife fiasco.
Old 07-14-11, 08:25 PM
the cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete In Az
Not to mention the possibility of a butchers wife/carving knife fiasco.
Now leave him alone.I think chip projects a certain.....Rugged masculinity,kind of an older Brad Pitt.Silky locks that shines with a brilliant radiance that comes from within...Or something like that.
Old 07-14-11, 08:31 PM
kengrubb

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn World, 2007 Kona Dew

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by the cyclops
I think chip projects a certain.....Rugged masculinity,kind of an older Brad Pitt.Silky locks that shines with a brilliant radiance that comes from within...Or something like that.
Michael Palin jumped into my head.
Old 07-14-11, 08:36 PM
the cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-14-11, 08:47 PM
kengrubb

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn World, 2007 Kona Dew

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I was thinking more like this. Posting because I wanna see Chip as Margaret Thatcher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
palin_dress.jpg (83.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-14-11, 09:00 PM
the cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^^lololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-11, 05:57 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm sure there is still lots of room in there for his buddies too!
Old 07-15-11, 06:07 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What would I do without my daily dose of the Angry and Insane Pedestrian thread?
Old 07-15-11, 06:36 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
What would I do without my daily dose of the Angry and Insane Pedestrian thread?
I don't know about you, but this thread is eating into my spank-the-monkey time
Old 07-15-11, 07:02 AM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-15-11, 07:30 AM
the cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by the cyclops; 07-15-11 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-15-11, 07:43 AM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Image preview is a great tool.......
Old 07-15-11, 07:47 AM
the cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeguy
Image preview is a great tool.......
fixed...It originally posted as it should have,then something went a-miss.
Old 07-15-11, 02:14 PM
JeffSG
Charlotte, NC Commuter

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wahoo with Mammoth wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I listen to music while I ride with ear buds. That blocks out all of the 'compliments' that I recieve during the ride. It's never a good idea to respond to someone's criticism in the manner you described. It can only lead to trouble or an altercation. Blow them a kiss and keep on going.

Ride safe,

Jeff
Old 07-15-11, 03:27 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
If someone follows you to work or home to harass you, call the cops. In my province, your employer has a duty to protect you from workplace harassment incurred by co-workers or by customers. Following an employee to his workplace and trying to get him fired is ridiculous unless you can prove the employee was working at the time. Riding a bike while wearing a fast food uniform top is rarely a job pre-requisite and the lady behaved foolishly. In university I managed a gift shop and had to call the police twice one summer because a couple of workers were followed (and in one girl's case, stalked and assaulted) by a couple of random idiots. One worker, while wearing the uniform tshirt, sat down in the subway on the way to work and was accused of taking the seat from a guy who saw it from across the subway car. The guy followed the worker to the gift shop, yelling rude names and insults at him, all the way into the store. He demanded I fire the worker for theft of his seat. I called the police when he refused to leave. The girl's situation was far worse and I won't get into it but, again, it was sparked because she wore her uniform tshirt to work. In both cases, the workers did swear at their harassers after being insulted and harassed but I don't blame them in the least.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.