Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Planning 2016 Vacation US Pro Challenge Asking for input

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-26-15, 11:04 AM
54OldnWay

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wife and I are planning to go out to CO. for the 2016 US Pro Challenge. We will be out there for a week. I should mention we have never been to a bike race up close and personal. My question is how would should we spend our time so as to get the best experience. For instance should we book our hotels at the finishes, or the starts. I want to see a couple mountain sections of the race.
If this was your vacation how would you plan it. I know the 2016 race Isn't planned yet but I sure I need to plan early.
Thank You
Your input is appreciated
Old 01-26-15, 05:22 PM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
My wife and I spectated at few stages of the USAPC two years ago. The best was the start of the individual TT as it's strung out over a long period of time so you can get close to the action and riders and see a lot of activity in the pits. The finish depends on the type of stage but it's over-with pretty quickly, with a bunch finish being the most exciting, I think. Usually all the vendor booths and exhibits are at the finish so that's cool to check out, but they're basically the same each stage. Staying out along a good climb is kind of nice, but it's got to be really steep because those guys go amazingly fast up hills. We stayed in Denver and drove to the starts and finishes.
Old 01-26-15, 06:18 PM
54OldnWay

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Looigi
My wife and I spectated at few stages of the USAPC two years ago. The best was the start of the individual TT as it's strung out over a long period of time so you can get close to the action and riders and see a lot of activity in the pits. The finish depends on the type of stage but it's over-with pretty quickly, with a bunch finish being the most exciting, I think. Usually all the vendor booths and exhibits are at the finish so that's cool to check out, but they're basically the same each stage. Staying out along a good climb is kind of nice, but it's got to be really steep because those guys go amazingly fast up hills. We stayed in Denver and drove to the starts and finishes.
Thanks for your reply. So you stayed in Denver and drove to each start and finish. Did you see all the stages
Old 01-27-15, 01:22 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
A couple of years ago they finished a stage here in downtown Colorado Springs with three laps of downtown. While I couldn't attend due to work, I did watch online and thought that kind of "lapping" finish would make for an even more exciting live spectating experience since the riders would pass you more than once. If any of the stages in 2016 end that way, you might want to consider them.