Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sunglasses - Polarized yay or nay for cycling?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sunglasses - Polarized yay or nay for cycling?

Old 02-21-19, 12:22 AM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
To Polarize or not?

I have prescription Oakley Flak 2.0 XL in both Road Prizum & polarized Shallow Water versions (and extra clear lenses for night riding).

IMO Road Prizums do not cut glare off water to see fish, and my polarized do not provide road surface definition as well as the Roads.

Either are very comfortable for long periods in bright light. My vision in lower light, (overcast), is better with the Road Prizms.

I like to both fly fish and ride. So if I had to choose only one they’d be polarized. And if I didn’t require prescription lenses I would buy inexpensive polycarbonate safety glasses to ride & fish. YMMV
Old 02-21-19, 05:43 AM
buck1973

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I just have transitions lenses in my glasses, so polarized is kind of out of the question. However, I've never felt like I needed polarized sunglasses while riding. While fishing, on the other hand, I've had polarized slip-on sunglasses for my glasses which helped me see under the water.
They make transitions lenses which become polarized only when they transition. I think they are called transitions vantage. I have them in both my Oakley riding glasses and my every day glasses and really like them.

Last edited by buck1973; 02-21-19 at 05:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-24-19, 02:52 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by teekay
I've been riding with polarized sunglasses without any problems for the past couple months.
One little BIG inconvenience is that the cycle computer display does not appear that clear AT ALL at certain angles.
I used cheap to mid priced polarized sunglasses for years but quit using them for the reason mentioned in the quote. I just got tired of not being able to see the data on the computer. Normally, I wear transition prescription glasses. I was at a bike shop and saw a pair of Tifosi photochromatic sunglasses, bought them and haven't looked back. This was about 5-6 years ago. I live on the west coast of Florida so there is plenty of water to look at during some of my rides (fortunately, no snow) and have not really seen the need for having polarized glasses. Plus, I can wear the same glasses in any type of lighting condition.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-24-19, 07:14 PM
wedgeSG

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 5.2 '14 Giant Thrive - (wife's)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I like the photchromatic option too. Nice just being able to wear them instead of trying to secure them somewhere.
Old 02-25-19, 03:44 AM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
I like Oakley PRIZM road for situational awareness ; I think they're non-polarized .
Also like thier Photochroma 's for the natural rendition with some sun protection .
And I'm looking for another alternative to add to those .
Old 02-25-19, 08:56 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
I prefer polarized lenses when I'm riding, but then I don't need to look at any LCD screens while I'm riding, either.
Old 02-25-19, 05:44 PM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by robncircus
Hi
I will always used polarized while driving but now I wonder if I need another pair for cycling.
Discuss.
Rob
So what is the difference between driving your car and driving your bike as far as seeing goes????
Likes For Jarrettsin:
Old 02-25-19, 06:51 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I use Bi polar lenses. They're great.. no, they are terrible.
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 02-25-19, 06:51 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I forgot where I read -or saw- it, but this is the same line of reasoning that Oakley uses as to why their Prizm road lens doesn't use polarization.
Old 02-25-19, 09:04 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
So what is the difference between driving your car and driving your bike as far as seeing goes????
Not much, you have glare whether your driving or riding or snow skiing or fishing etc, knowing that, polarized glasses reduce that glare therefore reduce eye strain.

I'm a firm believer that you don't gain much if anything going to a pair of sunglasses that cost more than $125, and you can find really nice ones starting at around $70. Of course if you're cycling you NEEEEEEEEEEEED to be wearing $350 sunglasses otherwise you will be snubbed by the bike crowd and treated like you're a clown on a bike.
Old 02-25-19, 09:50 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
Not much, you have glare whether your driving or riding or snow skiing or fishing etc, knowing that, polarized glasses reduce that glare therefore reduce eye strain.

I'm a firm believer that you don't gain much if anything going to a pair of sunglasses that cost more than $125, and you can find really nice ones starting at around $70. Of course if you're cycling you NEEEEEEEEEEEED to be wearing $350 sunglasses otherwise you will be snubbed by the bike crowd and treated like you're a clown on a bike.
Don't be ridiculous. They're only $260+tax
Old 02-26-19, 10:19 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,810 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I have always avoided polarized glasses for that reason.
But I have one polarized pair (Ray-Ban Aviators), only because I found them along a bike path one day.
I carry them on the (motor)bike to wear at rest stops when I take off the helmet (which has built in sun visor).
It is really annoying looking at my iPhone, because they make the screen purple when oriented one way, then green after a 90-degree rotation.
I just learned why the iPhone shifts between green and purple with polarized glasses.
See the section at 1:50 here:
Old 06-22-21, 08:52 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by robncircus
Hi
So I'm in the market for a new pair of sunglasses. In the past I have ridden with everything form $8.00 glasses from 7-11 to most recently my $150.00 polarized Bolles which I stepped on. I was at one of the LBS today looking at glasses. I mentioned that I like them polarized and the sales person said that polarized are actually dangerious for cycling due to the fact they block glare which could potentially make a cyclist miss water, ice, etc... on the road.
I have never heard of this before but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were? I will always used polarized while driving but now I wonder if I need another pair for cycling.
Discuss.
Rob
The absolute best sun glasses I have found for cycling is blu-block polarized ones.
Old 06-22-21, 09:14 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
+1 for high quality polarized. Cheap ones may not do the job. They protect your eyes from UV rays hitting your eyes from the road glare. Not quite as bad as UV reflected off of water but still bad. Wearing non-polarized sunglasses is worse than wearing no sunglasses at all.
Old 06-22-21, 10:56 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
As one who always wears glasses - all glasses have limitations. Sunglasses are no different. Different types of glasses have different limitations. Polarized ones often eliminate information from reflected light. Non-polarized, even dark sunglasses can have issues with reflections being too bright and making the less bright scenes harder to see.

I like polarized sunglasses for cycling though if I rode more in potentially icy conditions, I might get a pair that weren't for winter use. (But - a lot of ice cannot be seen even with regular glasses. Ride prudently or accept the occasional slide-out.) For sailboat racing on San Francisco Bay, I hated polarized. I couldn't see the light reflected on the water surface; ie the information about the wind and current right there. Instead I could count the fish. Not very useful. Replaced them with very expensive prescription Vaurnets, the lenses with the mirror gradient top and bottom. Super sailboat racing glasses! I could spend hours with the sun in the frame controlling the spinnaker with the reflection off the water also blocked and still be able to look down into the cabin and see. But on a bicycle? That gradient simply didn't work. Almost dangerous.
Old 06-22-21, 11:03 AM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I mentioned that I like them polarized and the sales person said that polarized are actually dangerious for cycling due to the fact they block glare which could potentially make a cyclist miss water, ice, etc... on the road.
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
The translation to this could be one of two things:
Either, "We don't have any polarized glassed in stock right now."
Or, "We don't carry polarized glasses."

Either way it sounds to me like the salesperson was trying to feed you a line of baloney.
That's what one would think as first reaction. Perhaps the salesman (that subsumes women as well as men) heard of a law suite brought about by a cyclist, maybe was even instructed by the shop owner to warn people who ask for polarized glasses as a liability precaution. Or the clerk just read that somewhere and being too honest for the good of the business, can't help mentioning it to people who ask...

I remember watching TDF on TV and after some rider fell off his bike, he got up and was frantically looking around and it turned up, he was looking for glasses he dropped in the fall. The commentators said, he looked for them because they cost five hundred dollars (or some such amount, no idea if they made the amount up but the guy sure acted as if they were expensive). Probably paid from his pocket, not the stock glasses issued as part of team supplies. I don't really know if pro racers in TDF get glasses from sponsors or team issued, or what.

I have un-tinted prescription glasses and so ride with them, really only time I ever needed sunglasses was when I visited Boulder, Co. Not sure because it was in fall and sun was brighter in the dry air, I couldn't even walk around outside without them, never mind riding a bike. But that's not talking about polarized glasses.
Maybe those who ride on those roads where you are susceptible to see fata morgana effect, it warrants using polarized glasses, right?

Last edited by vane171; 06-22-21 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-22-21, 11:21 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
That's what one would think as first reaction. Perhaps the salesman (that subsumes women as well as men) heard of a law suite brought about by a cyclist, maybe was even instructed by the shop power that be to warn people who ask for polarized glasses as a liability precaution. Or the clerk just read that somewhere and being too honest for the good of the business, can't help mentioning it to people who ask...

I remember watching TDF on TV and after some rider fell off his bike, he got up and was frantically looking around and it turned up, he was looking for the glasses he dropped in the fall. The commentators said, he looked for them because they cost five hundred dollars (or some such amount, no idea if they made the amount up but the guy sure acted as if they were expensive). Probably paid from his pocket, not the stock glasses issued as part of team supplies. I don't really know if pro racers in TDF get glasses from sponsors or team issued, or what.
Those sunglasses might have been prescription. If I lost mine in a bike race crash, I'd sure as heck want to find them to ride the next 50 miles not blind. (And prescription - they might well cost most of $500 but being able to see the rest of the race (and maybe tomorrow's and the day after) would be a lot more important.)

Just re-thought the post I am answering to - if he dropped them, that suggests they were stylishly tucked into his helmet, not on his face. Those guys don't need their sunglasses to see, just to make their lives better.
Old 06-22-21, 12:15 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
OK, I didn't think of that, of prescription glasses that is. However, don't these guys wear contact lenses if they need vision correction?

Not sure that glasses wouldn't fall off wherever you got them, that fall was quite a fall, into a ditch over the bars (so called 'catching a tiger' jump) is my vague recall of it.

There is quite legitimate glasses use, like in my case, in around August/September time, the region I ride my bike in is partly a farming land and you get those small flies around that get everywhere including your eyes (where they cause itch). I ride in light cotton shorts and these flies get caught on them and get squashed in cloth folds and it is a mess, much better to ride dressed in black during those times. If you ride close to 200km in a pro race that takes you through all kinds of land, I can see why you might need those glasses that are almost like goggles to protect against flies and such like. And high in mountains against too bright light. I doubt you really need polarizing function as much as you need for those two factors I mention here.

Last edited by vane171; 06-22-21 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-22-21, 12:23 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
+1 for high quality polarized. Cheap ones may not do the job. They protect your eyes from UV rays hitting your eyes from the road glare. Not quite as bad as UV reflected off of water but still bad. Wearing non-polarized sunglasses is worse than wearing no sunglasses at all.
Really?

1. Is the UV filtration rate higher with polarized lenses? I doubt it.
2. All UV-rated lenses protect from UV rays.
3. No, wearing non-polarized sunglasses is not worse than wearing no sunglasses. That's just silly--and potentially dangerous--advice.

Old 06-22-21, 04:38 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Really?
Yes, really. I stand by what I wrote. If there's an ophthalmologist on here, maybe they can verify or dismiss what I wrote.
Old 06-22-21, 05:21 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
sucks that all the rather effective polarized shades are framed. I wouldn't mind a frameless pair to replace the cheapies frameless 1s now.
Old 06-22-21, 05:27 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I looked at Oakley's site recently. They have a comment on there saying all Oakley glasses block 100 percent of uv whether they are polarized or not. Something about Plutonate material (?)
Yeah, it looks like Plutonite® is Oakley's marketing term for their polycarbonate lenses.

Well big woop, all polycarbonate lenses block 100% of UV.

Old 06-22-21, 07:43 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
My Serfas brand Portal sunglasses with the brown polarized lens are hands down the best glasses I've ever owned.

Unfortunately Serfs glasses are a thing if the past, and I've a few scratches now.

So in the market, For new glasses. perfect Brown polarized are hard to find.
Imo worse than no glasses, are glasses that catch the sun from behind your head.

I am also spoiled with the Serfs portals, at driving directly into a setting sun. No visor need on bike helmet, motorcycle helmet, or in a car.

If I only knew then what I know now, I would have bought a dozen pair.
Old 06-22-21, 07:46 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Polarized for me here in FL...biking, driving, boating and motorcycling.
Old 06-23-21, 08:16 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I wanted polarized lenses when I bought my new cycling glasses. Oakley Radar's. Instead I settled on the Oakley Prizm lens. The lens is supposed to be designed for road riding. I can't tell the difference from my other Oakley glasses TBH. But whatever. They look good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.