Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Trainer stands for heavy guy

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 02-16-21, 06:14 PM
grade

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am currently wanting to take my bike inside and put it on a trainer stand to bike inside instead of buying a stationary bike or spin bike etc. does anyone know of a trainer stand that can hold up to 450 lbs?

already discussed with doctors etc and working closely with appropriate people.
Old 02-17-21, 07:25 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
I would be looking at direct mount (rear wheel off) trainers. Well built trainers with less or no adjustments for packing away should give you a solid foundation. The Lemond Revolution is one that comes to mind although it's an older style wind trainer and can be noisy. There's most likely heaps more, just have a look around and give a harsh critique to anything you come across
Likes For brawlo:
Old 02-17-21, 11:03 PM
ahultin

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by grade
I am currently wanting to take my bike inside and put it on a trainer stand to bike inside instead of buying a stationary bike or spin bike etc. does anyone know of a trainer stand that can hold up to 450 lbs?

already discussed with doctors etc and working closely with appropriate people.
I have called most of the manufacturers twice, once before buying a dumb trainer in 2004 and once last year before buying a smart trainer for my wife (that i knew she would likely use half a dozen times at which point i would need to use it to save from it becoming a paper weight) Almost all trainers have a weight limit of 250 lbs. Both times i ended up with Cycleops (now Saris) I had a long conversation with Saris last year and while they state a weight limit of 300lbs, they test to MUCH higher than that and just recommended checking the quick release tension before every use.
Likes For ahultin:
Old 02-18-21, 07:22 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
OK, did post this on your other thread in the main bike forum:

Travel Trac Comp Fluid Used Trainer on Ebay, click here

This is a very strong / stable / heavily built trainer. I used this .... actually still have this since 2015 and haven't had any issues with it. I started using it when I was close to 370lbs.

Once you lose weight and have had it for a few years, you will realize the limitations it has since it does not have as good of resistance as other brands like the newer Saris trainers. But it still works really well, especially for those whom are using a trainer for the first time.

I would suggest going to Performance Bikes to buy new and get free shipping, but just checked their site and doesn't appear they either have anymore or don't sell anymore. Not sure which it is.

Edit: I have searched all over for a new Travel Trac Comp Fluid. It appears to have been discontinued. I still highly suggest this via used if you can find one close by or ebay. It is very sturdy, heavy steel and stable with holding the bike and you.

Last edited by travbikeman; 02-18-21 at 07:38 PM.