Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cheap Bike Workstands

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cheap Bike Workstands

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-21, 07:48 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Cheap Bike Workstands

Anyone have one and are they any good? The Park Tool one is about £300, have seen others that are about £50, can't justify spending £300 on one but could £50.

Just wondering if the cheap ones are worth getting?
Old 05-07-21, 08:13 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I'm sure it varies. Which ones are you looking at? There used to be a wall mount stand I was thinking about getting that people liked a lot. Not sure if they are still available
Old 05-07-21, 08:17 AM
Schwann

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen homemade stands that consist of a 2x4, a rag, and a couple of clamps. Very cheap and very portable.
Likes For Schwann:
Old 05-07-21, 08:21 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm sure it varies. Which ones are you looking at? There used to be a wall mount stand I was thinking about getting that people liked a lot. Not sure if they are still available
Seems to me something that attaches to the stud walls in my garage would be about ideal. No stand needed. I'd buy it.

Last edited by Reflector Guy; 05-07-21 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-07-21, 08:45 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by sw20
Anyone have one and are they any good? The Park Tool one is about £300, have seen others that are about £50, can't justify spending £300 on one but could £50.

I've seen posts over the years where people scored half-decent bike gear, including stands, at stores like LIDL (ALDI in the US) but like most of their inventory its completely random and based on luck.

I used an old trainer that didn't work any more and removed the resistance unit as a stand for years until I ponied up the money to buy a nice one from Feedback Sports.

I've heard of people hanging their bike from the ceiling; I tried that but it swung around too much and was more hassle than it was worth.
Old 05-07-21, 09:04 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Yup...

I got an inexpensive one, maybe $50-60 a few years back. It's been great. My model is no longer available, but there are similar ones one Amazon and EBay.

I can't speak to the needs of carbon frame bikes, as mine are mostly aluminum alloy frames, with one steel frame. I'd look for a stand with four long legs, for stability. Also a V shaped clamping surface so cables are not crushed. Also an extendable arm to hold handlebars while bike is on stand.

I clamp on top tube, even on my aluminum frame ebike, which weighs about 60 pounds I'd guess. If you have carbon frame, you'll need to clamp seat post, which is a more difficult maneuver than simply lifting top tube onto horizontal clamp jaws. I keep a piece of foam material handy to wrap top tube where clamp will be, and keep clamp just tight enough so bike is stable and doesn't move around when I turn cranks or spin wheels.

Buy the best one that suits your budget. A work-stand is the best bike related accessory I ever invested in. Once you have one, you'll never want to be without it. But you can get a decent one for under a hundred; just don't expect it to be professional shop grade.
Old 05-07-21, 09:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I've heard of people hanging their bike from the ceiling; I tried that but it swung around too much and was more hassle than it was worth.
I have a hook on the garage wall that is very convenient if I need to do something quick. The hook sticks out about 10", it usually has garden implements hanging from it. I hang the bike from the seat. It works pretty well, and the bike doesn't move too much. Not much good for pedaling though.
Old 05-07-21, 10:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
If you are working on a dozen or so bikes a day, you probably need to spend some money on a good bike stand.

If you are only working on one, two or three bikes a few times a year.... I've no idea. I just hang the top tube on the corner of a table or on some 2x4's clamped on a ladder or something. Cheap and the items serve more than one purpose so they justify the space in my garage they take up.

In fifty years of bike DIY, a work stand is the least of my wants.
Old 05-07-21, 04:57 PM
sw20

Originally Posted by unterhausen
this is one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jobsworth-B...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 05-07-21, 05:01 PM
jponio

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this one, no issues with it. Search on Amazon (I can't post URL's as i'm under 10 posts.)

SONGMICS Bike Repair Stand with Multiple Quick Release Design USBR06B
Old 05-08-21, 03:15 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Check out Bikehand. I know a few forumites use it. I was also a "who needs a repair stand" guy, but after I got it I realized how much nicer it made life. I store my bike in the stand. Beats leaning against the garage wall. (I don't have an n+1 problem. All my other bikes are in pieces).

scott s.
Old 05-08-21, 05:22 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
20 years ago I scored a used shop quality Park double stand for $150usd. Still using it today. Even using the ever excellent Feedback Sports stand or the Park folding stand, one realizes how important a solid stand is. One that does not move around while working on a bike. My suggestion is to save your money for another 6-12 months and buy the 300 euro stand instead of a 50euro stand that is barely capable of holding a bike. Delayed gratification usually pays off.
Old 05-08-21, 05:26 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
I also have a "Bikehand" stand. I've used it for 2-3 years, works fine. Folds up easily, adjustable.. I bought a used one locally for $45.

It appears this stand goes by "CXWXC Bike Workstand" on the UK amazon. It has other names also. Assuming it's the same quality as the Bikehand..you should be fine with it.
Old 05-08-21, 05:41 AM
sw20

just bit the bullet and ordered this, will update once received!

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BNTORQ...rkstand-bundle
Likes For sw20:
Old 05-08-21, 05:59 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
just bit the bullet and ordered this, will update once received!

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BNTORQ...rkstand-bundle
WOW, a stand AND a torque wrench set for 50GBP? That's a smokin' deal!

(If you're in the UK; otherwise add customs and duty and shipping and maybe it's less good.)
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 05-08-21, 06:59 AM
sw20

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
WOW, a stand AND a torque wrench set for 50GBP? That's a smokin' deal!

(If you're in the UK; otherwise add customs and duty and shipping and maybe it's less good.)
I'm in the UK only £6 shipping!
Likes For sw20:
Old 05-08-21, 12:31 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
I know it seems hard to justify. I bought one of the cheaper Park models. Have had it for many years. As someone said, if you work on many bikes many times a year, maybe step up a model.
Old 05-08-21, 02:39 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
My first bike stand I made by cutting down piece of scrap pipe, welding it to a $5 harbor freight welding clamp, gluing on a piece of rubber, welding that to an extension arm, then clamping that into my bench vice. Works extremely well, except for having to move the bike every time I needed to use the vice. I made a couple of these, using them to hang bikes in my shed.

Finally I bought a Park Tool PCS-4 stand. High end stand price wise, but man alive, worth every penny. You can buy cheaper stands but IMO a bit of a false economy. I can guarantee you will quickly forget about the price and thank yourself everytime you use the stand.
Old 05-09-21, 07:58 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Are you near an Aldi food store? A couple of years ago they (yes, Aldi) had a nice one available in stores here in the U.S. for only $25 (US). Here’s a link to one on the Aldi UK website for just £19.99 (UK).
https://www.aldi.co.uk/bikemate-bike...04017449330400

Dan
Old 05-09-21, 09:20 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I've been fiddling with bikes since the 1960's. During most of that time we didn't have very much money so I had to make do.

When I first started working on my bikes regularly, I hung the bike vertically by the front wheel. That actually worked pretty well but if the rear derailleur was at a convenient height, the handlebar was too high.

I also tried putting a screw hook un the underside of my deck and hung my bikes by a noose around the saddle nose. Height was adjustible but the bike would swing around quite a bit.

The best home made stand I made looked like a three legged sawhorse. A QR front axle held the bike onto to a 2 X 4. The bottom bracket rested on the end of the same 2 X 4 and the rear wheel hung off in space. My out of pocket was zero. It worked pretty good. It was solid. I could do anything on it but front brake or headset adjustments. I adjusted for different sized bikes by moving the QR axle to a series of holes drilled in the 2 X 4. If I had a need to work on a lot of conventional bikes again, I'd build myself another one.

For the 20 years or so, I had a Park dual arm shop stand. It was better than anything I had previously but it was always in the way when I wasn't using it and it weighed a TON.

After Mrs. Grouch and I converted to riding recumbent trikes, I fiddled with several different ways of working on them. My 78 year old body doesn't take well to bending and stooping anymore. Even topping up the tires with air was a pain in the back. I gave my Park workstand to a local bike co-op and buought a commercially made Trike Tight workstand. I cn do pretty much anything with it with no bending or stooping. It cost more than I wanted to spend, but I'm happy to have bought it.