Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What kind of bike is best? If there is a coupon, which model should I buy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-21, 08:10 PM
EliasGoodman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last time I asked people why cycling is difficult to lose weight and was answered enthusiastically. I thank you all for that. Currently, I want to ask for more opinions about replacing myself with a new bike to lose weight more effectively. Currently I still have 1 voucher to buy, so I want to ask which bike model should I change to? Which bike model is right for me in training to lose weight and gain weight?
Hope someone can help me with this problem.
Old 06-02-21, 08:42 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
a lot of unmentioned parameters that need answered before anyone can remotely give you some ideas. Type of riding, where are you riding, what are you goals, hills, flat, stuff like that.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 06-02-21, 09:02 PM
EliasGoodman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
a lot of unmentioned parameters that need answered before anyone can remotely give you some ideas. Type of riding, where are you riding, what are you goals, hills, flat, stuff like that.
I needed a long-distance bike to reduce the need of the rod and have high durability. I absolutely only go on flat roads but need the certainty of the car to bring me safety.
Old 06-02-21, 09:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
What sort of voucher do you have? Is it for a specific brand, or store or, or value?

I'm guessing a rigid frame and fork flat bar hybrid would be good. Trek FX series, for example.
Old 06-02-21, 10:14 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
If you need a long-distance bike for the road I'd get an endurance road bike. What do you consider long distance?
Old 06-03-21, 08:22 PM
EliasGoodman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What sort of voucher do you have? Is it for a specific brand, or store or, or value?

I'm guessing a rigid frame and fork flat bar hybrid would be good. Trek FX series, for example.
Your opinion deserves attention. I will consider when deciding to buy my car.
Old 06-03-21, 08:23 PM
EliasGoodman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
If you need a long-distance bike for the road I'd get an endurance road bike. What do you consider long distance?
I am using the wrong word. But you are getting it right with what I am saying.
Old 06-05-21, 08:26 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
This is only going to work for you if you get a bike that is one you will ride more than you ride your current bike. You will need to find one that is reasonably comfortable, Try out a variety of bikes of different styles before you plunk down your money. These days it takes more than $500 to get beyond the entry level bikes from a bike store. If you want one that is going to be reliable stay away from mass merchandisers. If you know anyone who is an accomplished cyclist take that person with you when you go shopping. If not, try locating a recreational bike club (not racing club) at your location and ask for advice. They will know which local bike stores are worth visiting. If you google on "bike club" and the "name of your town" one should come up.

Since you are new here you probably haven't read the many posts about how hard it is to find a new bike these days. They are in very short supply so a bike store may not even have a single bike in the frame size that you need and still be within your price range.
If you really want to lose weight you should consider monitoring your food intake and portion size. It is pretty easy to increase the amount you eat as you burn more calories riding a bike. It's a natural thing for your body to do.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 06-07-21, 07:47 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Never met a bike I didn't like
Likes For Mark Dominck:
Old 06-07-21, 09:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Tell us how you expect to ride the bike. Are you going to be a leisurely effort for less than an hour? 30 minutes? Or do you think you'll be riding long distances for 2 maybe 3 hours or more at a time? Will you try to ride that like you are going for a land speed record or in a relaxed manner?

How often will you ride?

What appeals to you more, riding on paved roads and paths? Or going off road on unpaved trails that have some challenging terrain or obstacles that take a little skill to do?

You mentioned weight loss. For the most part, IMO when I can ride long and easy, I see the most weight loss. When I ride hard I tend to eat back all the Calories and more that I burned off. And that is short hard rides or long rides at a max effort.
Old 06-07-21, 10:38 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Dominck
I repair all kinds of bikes. A lot of them. For over half of the bikes, I'm sorry that I ever met them. Half of the remainder are passable, and can serve their owners acceptably. A few are quite decent and rideable. There are few indeed that I'd love to embrace, and with whom I'd live a lifetime. Maybe 1 in a 1000 that I meet. Maybe 1 in 50 million that are manufactured.
Old 06-07-21, 02:19 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
You can lose weight on a spin bike, if that's your only goal.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-08-21, 06:57 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I repair all kinds of bikes. A lot of them. For over half of the bikes, I'm sorry that I ever met them. Half of the remainder are passable, and can serve their owners acceptably. A few are quite decent and rideable. There are few indeed that I'd love to embrace, and with whom I'd live a lifetime. Maybe 1 in a 1000 that I meet. Maybe 1 in 50 million that are manufactured.
You have met a lot more bikes than I have I can see how you would have a different view of bikes
Old 06-08-21, 08:01 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Dominck
You've obviously never ridden a Walmart BSO.
Old 06-08-21, 08:04 AM
Milton Keynes

Asking what kind of bike you should buy is like asking what kind of car you should buy. Depending on how you plan to use it is the major factor. If you're just looking for something to casually ride around town, I'd suggest an upright straight bar bike like a hybrid. If you're looking to ride long distances (say, 40 miles or more) on pavement, I'd suggest a dedicated road bike. If you plan to ride gravel or trails, I'd suggest a gravel or mountain bike.
Old 06-08-21, 08:09 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by EliasGoodman
I needed a long-distance bike to reduce the need of the rod and have high durability. I absolutely only go on flat roads but need the certainty of the car to bring me safety.
Brand and model doesn't matter for weight loss. And you are not going to effectively lose any weight if you only go on flat roads.

The type of biking that will help you lose weight challenges your lungs and legs.
Old 06-10-21, 09:21 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Not sure about the voucher, is it for a bike shop or department store?

You best bet is to find a trusted local bike shop. Explain what kind of riding you'd like to do, what your budget is, what you didn't like about the last bike, etc. Most are incredibly helpful, if not, then find a different shop. Oh...and go on a Tuesday morning, not Saturday afternoon.

As far as loosing weight, much has been written, but it seems that input is way more important than output. For example, I just returned from a 6 day, 320 mile, fully loaded tour. I only gained a pound.
Likes For bblair:
Old 06-11-21, 11:49 AM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair

You best bet is to find a trusted local bike shop. Explain what kind of riding you'd like to do, what your budget is, what you didn't like about the last bike, etc. Most are incredibly helpful, if not, then find a different shop. Oh...and go on a Tuesday morning, not Saturday afternoon.

As far as loosing weight, much has been written, but it seems that input is way more important than output. For example, I just returned from a 6 day, 320 mile, fully loaded tour. I only gained a pound.
Bruce is doing wrong, no weight gain whatsoever. Is it because he toured southward rather than northward?
Old 06-14-21, 02:22 AM
EliasGoodman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
You can lose weight on a spin bike, if that's your only goal.
with each trip will help me lose weight and also let me relax after stressful working hours.
Old 06-14-21, 02:23 AM
EliasGoodman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair

Thank you very much for what you have shared. I am also looking for more good car companies to buy myself a car I like best. Thanks to cycling, I have successfully lost weight.
Old 06-14-21, 07:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Asking what kind of bike you should buy is like asking what kind of car you should buy.
The OP is now curious about cars...
Old 06-14-21, 10:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Asking what kind of bike you should buy is like asking what kind of car you should buy.
So which one a Chevy Lumina or a Dually Pickup or a BMW Isetta? Maybe a Manx Dune Buggy? I really just need it for driving drunk but I may occasionally use it for parking in other people's driveways.
Old 06-15-21, 06:45 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by veganbikes
So which one a Chevy Lumina or a Dually Pickup or a BMW Isetta? Maybe a Manx Dune Buggy? I really just need it for driving drunk but I may occasionally use it for parking in other people's driveways.
If you just need it for driving drunk then I'd suggest an armored personnel carrier. It can withstand a lot more damage.
Old 06-15-21, 07:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
If you just need it for driving drunk then I'd suggest an armored personnel carrier. It can withstand a lot more damage.
Hmmm...good choice can I also use it to go to the store on Sunday?
Old 06-21-21, 11:58 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by BadGrandma
Bruce is doing wrong, no weight gain whatsoever. Is it because he toured southward rather than northward?
Yes it is a well-known fact that the closer you are to Cleveland, the more you weigh. He also probably didn't eat as much ice cream as we did, but made up for it in beers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.