Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Old 07-03-21, 12:58 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
The driving force in the bicycle industry is to make cyclists buy more bicycles and associated gear in order to make more money. The innovations in bike technology have been for the most part good, but few have been necessary. I could have sent the rest of my life on bikes with rim brakes, but now they are fairly uncommon as hydraulic discs are everywhere. Who really needs all the high tech stuff that brings bicycle costs into the thousands?

Another push in the industry is to make cyclists lust after speed so that they will buy the latest gear to shave off a few grams of weight and improve their "times." Titanium bolts and that sort of stuff are expensive and, for the most part, fairly useless.

Most of the cyclists I know and see aren't concerned with high tech innovations or with speed. They simply like to ride their bikes.

But no one compels cyclists to buy new stuff. If you want to and have the money, there you go. If you like some of the latest innovations, they are there to buy. No harm done. I do wish, however, that bicycles weren't so expensive.
Very good post. The bike companies have to make money somehow. Actual innovation is rare. Like all hobbies, the enthusiasts are always looking for the next "thing". In cycling it's all about weight reduction and speed. I just bought titanium quick releases. Do I actually NEED them? No. The old ones are a little rusty so I wanted to get a new pair. Will they actually do anything better than what I already have? No? But for $35 I said what the heck. I'm a bit of a weight-weenie. Don't know why some people seem to have a problem with how other people spend their money.
Likes For pgjackson:
Old 07-03-21, 02:21 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Don't know why some people seem to have a problem with how other people spend their money.
I have no problem with how informed people spend their money.

It's uninformed people being sold fancy stuff that only increases their cost of ownership that I take issue with.

Why someone else decided that needed its own thread is beyond me.
Old 07-03-21, 02:33 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris

It's uninformed people being sold fancy stuff that only increases their cost of ownership that I take issue with.
What if the uninformed people are just following the lead of the informed people? Would that be okay?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-03-21, 04:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,600 Times in 5,946 Posts

You must be new here.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-03-21, 04:13 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts

How are you determining if they’re informed or uninformed?
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-03-21, 05:11 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
For me, I'm looking for things that make my riding more enjoyable. Faster is not on the table due to a bum ticker. Looking at my MTB and gravel bike, there are a few things that do that. There are a few things that I bought just because they were in-style at the time of purchase, especially on the MTB. There are a few things that go well together as a whole package and aren't so good if you do only one or two of them (like the combination of tubeless tires, thru axles, hydraulic disc brakes). I would not tell you that I think these bikes are perfect and solve everything, or that there's nothing to be nostalgic about. But overall it's better.

I do think that bike companies keep old-school stuff in production just to provide a reason for different price levels for things that are likely not all that different in cost to make. Tubeless is a good example of this, so is the price of 3x systems somehow being less than 1x
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-03-21, 05:20 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
How are you determining if they’re informed or uninformed?
That's easy. Informed people spend their money the way you do. Uninformed people buy things that you don't want or need.
Old 07-03-21, 05:54 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe

That's easy. Informed people spend their money the way you do. Uninformed people buy things that you don't want or need.
Prezactly!
Old 07-04-21, 06:28 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I've posted on other threads about my 25.5 mile midweek route, which I've ridden with 7 different bikes now. There's 4 minutes difference in best time between my newest bike (2020) and my oldest (1982). Same route, same rider, similar effort (based solely on HR, since they don't make power meters for Dura Ace 7200 cranks). Basically a 5% difference.
FWIW, on flat ground it would take a roughly 15% higher power output to gain 5% in speed (using somewhere in the very low 200's watts output as a base). That is not inconsequential.

FWIW, I view the shifting mechanisms now vs the 70's/80's as absolutely huge.

dave
Old 07-05-21, 11:58 AM
Perpedualmotion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moving the shifting mechanisms from the downtube to the bars is the kind of simple, low consequence thing that could be done in isolation.

Index shifting on the other hand - it might lower rider skill needs a tiny bit, but it's also another dimension that now needs to be kept in adjustment sending the bike to the shop. Most consumers wouldn't dare touch those screws.

But even if it's on your worthwhile list, it's again an inexpensive to initially implement, isolated change.
Should almost never need to touch 'the screws' to re-align index shifting - any changes are almost always due to cable tension tension changes due to housing compression into the plastic ferrules. While these occasional adjustments might require a shop/pro mechanic to perform them if a rider doesn't have the mechanical/technical know-how to DIY - that cost is very low compared to the price of a doctor's office visit (or even just the hassle of enduring road rash) that could happen from the loss of control while futzing with a downtube friction shifter. Especially compared with the instant shift you can execute with 'brifters' while keeping both hands on the handlebars. FWIW, I like the ride of a slightly older high-quality steel frame, which I have rebuilt with somewhat more modern 2x10 equipment with dual-pivot calipers, etc... Had a number of very nice carbon bikes (Trek Madone, Cervelo R-Series, Specialized Roubaix) and while they are nice and very light, I'm not racing and a kilo or two won't kill me. Plus, I kinda prefer the 'spring' you get from the steel.
Old 07-05-21, 12:15 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Right? By the logic of these types of threads we should all be content with our 16" screen B&W Zenith televisions and AM mono car radios.

I abandoned my radioamateuring days when first transistors and then integrated chips pushed out the tubes

Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
...You also have a lot of boneheads that say a vinyl record is superior to a compact disc and that is just absurd. ...
Yeah, it is mind boggling that young folks are crazy about LP's these days. There is no scientific reasoning for that.
Well, the vacuum tubes had a soul and the same goes for LP vinyl records.
Many still watch those old movies from 1930s, 40s with poor picture, never mind the sound and if those were somehow re-mastered to look and sound up to date, they would lose most of the appeal they have. Well, the sound is often atrocious and those auto generated close captions are more than useless, but hey... it is all nostalgia or move to retro as a fashion.

Last edited by vane171; 07-05-21 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-05-21, 12:37 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Is a consumer better off riding a 1978 steel road bike that's maintainable with simple tools I bought 40 years ago? Is much of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitive racing edge. Eg, Is carbon anything as an anti-feature.​ ?
This is my approach.
Old 07-05-21, 12:56 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
As an interesting aside- there just wasn't a whole lot of innovations with the bicycle, between saying 1950 to 1980. This was the TdF winning bike from 1947:

Coppi

TdF bikes from 1978:

So one could think of the circa 1980 'classic bike' as a time tested, timeless, well rounded product, or you could also think of it as a hopeless dinosaur from an era of stagnation.
My bike from circa 1975 is exactly like Coppi's, in appearance anyway.

Even if the your claim above was disputed here, I would think that thanks to that long period of tech stagnation, we had seen those virtual works of art on wheel hubs and frame lugs and many other components. I agree with the other poster here, that if you put today's TDF guys on these 1978 bikes, they would fare pretty well almost the same.
I wonder if we could have such historic TDF re-enactment one day, with the current pros doing it.
Old 07-05-21, 01:15 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I got my "new" steel framed (independent fabrication) bike in 2007, making it 29 years newer than yours. And I suspect Ithat I like it's brakes and shifting and other bits better than i would on a 1978 bike....i know I ilke them way better than on the Peguot I had in 1971.
Old 07-05-21, 01:29 PM
Ed333

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
These types of posts crack me up. Does *anyone* actually *need* a bike? No. Walking or running work fine. We *could* all be riding single speed beach cruisers! I think the average consumer is pretty smart at determining their need, and assessing the value of different features/materials/technologies.

And all my bicycle tools are pretty simple. Now I'm wondering what complicated tools I might be missing...and if they're available in a high-performance lightweight carbon version that cost more!
MattTheHat said "Does anyone actually need a bike? No.

I beg to differ, I have been in the situation where a bike was the only way I could hold dpwn a particular job because of the commute distance and my finances.. I am not alone. But people like that probably are not on this forum, or maybe any forum. Just saying.
Old 07-05-21, 02:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
I abandoned my radioamateuring days when first transistors and then integrated chips pushed out the tubes

Well, the vacuum tubes had a soul and the same goes for LP vinyl records.
Many still watch those old movies from 1930s, 40s with poor picture, never mind the sound and if those were somehow re-mastered to look and sound up to date, they would lose most of the appeal they have. Well, the sound is often atrocious and those auto generated close captions are more than useless, but hey... it is all nostalgia or move to retro as a fashion.

I have no idea what you are talking about with old movies. Optical sound was actually fairly high quality and has transferred to digital quite nicely. As for "poor picture" , that's absurd unless you're one of those "black & white is automatically bad" people. Seriously, learn something about cinematography before you'd say anything as silly as they'd lose their appeal if remastered. Watch TCM for a day and tell us those prints haven't been restored to pristine through remastering and are a hell of a lot more fun to watch than the worn-out prints that used to tour theatres and get shown on TV.

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-05-21 at 04:52 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-05-21, 02:55 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
It seems Americans pay more for bicycles than people in most parts of the world. Part of this is due to a large proportion of Americans wanting the latest high tech bikes. I am not saying it doesn't happen everywhere to some extent. It just seems a higher proportion of Americans think like that.
Likes For alo:
Old 07-05-21, 03:22 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
I love my carbon bikes, I love my steel bikes, I even enjoy my aluminum bike. Not especially fond of my one downtube friction shift, but like the bar end friction shifts. I enjoy my Di2, and the other integrated "brifters". Disc brakes work for me, as well as rim brakes on the older bikes. It all depends what mood I'm in that day. Choice is a good thing, not always based on economics. I buy and build my bikes to ride, not as an investment, and spend very little time worrying what other preferences people spend their money on. I used to really enjoy passing guys on fancy carbon, while riding my old school steel, until I became the guy riding carbon. Now I hate getting passed by e-bikes, but that's life. No plans to go "e" yet ... I'm only 72. Buy what you want, love what you ride ... but just ride.

Been riding this Legnano since new in 1964.

Built this Raleigh from an abandoned stripped frame.

My newest bike, Di2, discs, carbon everything ... its all good, just ride.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 07-05-21, 03:46 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
I got my "new" steel framed (independent fabrication) bike in 2007, making it 29 years newer than yours. And I suspect Ithat I like it's brakes and shifting and other bits better than i would on a 1978 bike....i know I ilke them way better than on the Peguot I had in 1971.
I probably got my Peugeot maybe a year earlier. Some "fancy" bike shop on the east side of Manhattan.
Old 07-05-21, 03:49 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
Would you prefer a 1978 car over a newer model?
Yep. There are very few late model cars I'd actually own, versus dream about. If it comes with more than what my 08 CVPI had; it's doing too much.
Old 07-05-21, 10:55 PM
alo

Originally Posted by Outrider1
Would you prefer a 1978 car over a newer model?
The most expensive collectable Australian cars are from the early 70s. I suspect it might be similar in America. How valuable is a Mustang or Corvette from the early 70s?

We don't normally drive them as daily drivers these days, because they are too expensive.
Old 07-06-21, 05:05 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
It seems Americans pay more for bicycles than people in most parts of the world. Part of this is due to a large proportion of Americans wanting the latest high tech bikes. I am not saying it doesn't happen everywhere to some extent. It just seems a higher proportion of Americans think like that.
No reason to be so jealous
Old 07-06-21, 06:26 AM
alo

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
No reason to be so jealous
I am sure you would love to pay the prices I can buy things for here. For example, I am running a new derailleur which cost $2.25, and a new chain which cost $1.40.

I read about people asking how much you need to pay for a decent mountain bike in America. Most will say something over $1000. Maybe a good price for a decent, but not too expensive, mountain bike would be $2000. A lot of people pay around $250 to $300 for a fairly decent mountain bike here. Let's say you want something even better, it would still be well under $1000. I am close to where the bikes are manufactured. Most of the cost in America is transport and profit. I get shocked how much things really cost.

You can get a good indication of prices if you search alababa.

Keep in mind, most bikes sold in America are made in Asia. The same bikes are much cheaper in Asia.
Old 07-06-21, 09:12 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,600 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
The most expensive collectable Australian cars are from the early 70s. I suspect it might be similar in America. How valuable is a Mustang or Corvette from the early 70s?

We don't normally drive them as daily drivers these days, because they are too expensive.
American cars of the 60s through about 1972 are the most collectable. Any sporty car from that era - pony cars, muscle cars, sports cars - all crazy expensive. And of course, the number each model produced with what specifications is known, and so the rare ones get even more ridiculous prices. After '72, American cars kept getting worse year after year, not really recovering till about 2000. Nowadays they're pretty good. Of course, so are everyone else's cars.

So, yeah, a 1978 car would not be very desirable. Maybe collectable as a novelty?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-06-21, 09:34 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
I am sure you would love to pay the prices I can buy things for here. For example, I am running a new derailleur which cost $2.25, and a new chain which cost $1.40.

I read about people asking how much you need to pay for a decent mountain bike in America. Most will say something over $1000. Maybe a good price for a decent, but not too expensive, mountain bike would be $2000. A lot of people pay around $250 to $300 for a fairly decent mountain bike here. Let's say you want something even better, it would still be well under $1000. I am close to where the bikes are manufactured. Most of the cost in America is transport and profit. I get shocked how much things really cost.

You can get a good indication of prices if you search alababa.

Keep in mind, most bikes sold in America are made in Asia. The same bikes are much cheaper in Asia.
Your problem is working out what is real vs fake.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.