Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Meanwhile Eroica Britannia and Goodwood Racing Estate get together for their future

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Meanwhile Eroica Britannia and Goodwood Racing Estate get together for their future

Old 08-26-21, 07:44 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts

Hello all, while we wait for definitive word on Eroica California, I came across these articles and announcements regarding Eroica Britannia and The Goodwood Estate, home of horse racing and Motorsports, especially vintage motorsports. Seems to me a natural fit together and overlap of interests for many of us. Of course, Goodwood has its own endowment, resources, and a hugely successful motorsports history, track and facilities, and the goodwill of the region. Eroica Britannia discussed their difficulties in securing routes and support in Derbyshire after the 2018 event. Even though both Eroica California and Eroica Britannia were established nearly the same time in 2015 or so, Britain’s long history of bike culture and enthusiasm helped them grow to 5,000 cyclists (5x what Eroica California had in 2019) and 25,000 festival goers over their three day festival and multi-town participation, plus encouraging all sorts of racing, work, fun bikes to appear and riders to play dress up and party. Of course, food, alcohol, and just plain whimsy didn’t hurt either.

Whether this could be a future model for Eroica California is unclear, since it requires wealthy benefactor(s), support from local or regional interests, and of course driving forces in people and resources to make it work. I personally still love the small town feel of Cambria, Paso Robles, wineries, and country roads. The lack of competing road traffic, tourists, etc. and a relatively bike friendly atmosphere is a big plus.

I’ve heard Eroica was at first interested in the Napa-Sonoma valley and with good reason, similar countryside to Eroica Gaiole. A tie-in with Sonoma Raceway could be interesting as well as provide huge grounds to work with. The same could be said for the Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey and it’s surrounding environs by the sea and inland. Just thinking about doing laps on either course on a bike (particularly the Corkscrew after climbing the backside hill) would be breathtaking as well as riding in the surrounding hills. Getting to take laps in a vintage sports car would be a huge draw too for some of us.

I know these are unlikely scenarios and I certainly would want the Cambria location of Eroica California (and any possible Midwest or East Coast version) to eventually survive, grow and flourish. Somehow the vintage and modern bike community has got to figure a way to get this event (pandemic notwithstanding) to re-establish itself, build a solid team on the ground here, and get it going again when safe to do so. I know cycling events in the US have had a hard time over the last 20 years staying afloat even in the best of times and of course, we aren’t getting any younger. Food for thought, and someone has to think big and build a great team for this to happen.

https://www.goodwood.com/media-centr...tage-festival/

https://eroicabritannia.co.uk/

Bartley Yee
Waiting for clarity in La Habra, California, USA
Old 08-27-21, 10:28 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by mech986
Hello all, while we wait for definitive word on Eroica California, I came across these articles and announcements regarding Eroica Britannia....
I rode Eroica Britannia in it's first year and it was perhaps my favorite venue for an Eroica event! That first year I believe that it was only 1900 riders and after that the numbers got much larger. which is where the trouble begins. When an event gets too big it really starts to lose some of it's appeal, as did Eroica Gaiole for me in 2012. 7500+ riders is cool in a way but when you get to a food stop or get your book stamped and each one takes half an hour then that definitely detracts from the experience.

I've done a LOT of cycling events in California over the past 36 years and I have seen the state go from a nice place to hold a cycling event to being downright unfriendly to large cycling events. Traffic, local regulation, insurance and difficult logistics all work against a producing a successful event in the state. I do not think that Eroica California can be viable for much more than 500 riders, and if limited to that number it likely could not be financially practical.

Oregon might be a viable alternate option for an Eroica event. It has great cycling routes, a vibrant wine region and is currently much more cycling friendly than California. Perhaps there are other regions that would work as well, but I believe that in a few years Eroica California will be a thing of the past.

https://utahrandonneur.wordpress.com...ica-britannia/
Old 08-27-21, 12:00 PM
JoeBass

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 89 Posts
From what I've seen of Eroica Britannia, it looks like more of a celebration of vintage England, which winds up being more inclusive and attracting folks that may not even be interested in vintage bikes. I have no idea how you'd achieve this kind of thing in the U.S..
Old 08-27-21, 11:54 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Bombing down the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca on a fine vintage bicycle would be simultaneously life-affirming and worthy of inclusion in one's obituary.

Especially because I'll never get to do it in a McLaren F1...

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 08-28-21, 12:30 AM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts
My wife and I have been to the Goodwood Revival three times. Amazing time. I would love to see something like that, a celebration of Vintage Bikes... Everyone wears appropriate period clothing... Massive vendor area, displays. maybe many ride options, invite races... Awesome...
Likes For La Brea Bike:
Old 08-28-21, 04:26 AM
mech986 

Originally Posted by ShannonM
Bombing down the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca on a fine vintage bicycle would be simultaneously life-affirming and worthy of inclusion in one's obituary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwVQfrstsA8

--Shannon
love it. In keeping with the vintage theme, a 1970 Porsche 908/3 “Flounder” with veteran race driver Brian Redman at the wheel against a couple of Porsche 917K’s and 906’s. First camera angle just in front of the cockpit

And from the cockpit. No ground effects, no massive wings, just great mechanical grip, 1200 pounds curb weight, 300+ HP from a 3 liter flat 8 Porsche engine.

Old 08-28-21, 04:37 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
Sounds like a perfect match for the Finger Lakes Region of New York and a Watkins Glen raceway event. Beautiful terrain, ton of wineries, fair amount of breweries and my fave distillery. Also lots of available lake front home rentals.

If a ride across Iowa can survive all these years, this should be possible. All it needs is vision, determination and action. The latter can be hard to come by in these online brainstorms. Of course I’m a guilty party.
Likes For plonz:
Old 08-28-21, 05:49 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
There will be a vintage bike event in 2022 at the Auburn museum - Classic Bicycles Auburn
Now, people actually have to attend to make it a success. Calling it a cool idea on the internet or making an excuse not to attend will not make it a success. Wringing your hands over the details of the event will also not make it a success.

Also, my old job required my attendance at the vintage car race at Road America for many years. Now, that was a while ago, but I do not recall anyone in vintage costume. Other than the Ferrari owners wearing gold chains, but that is timeless. Do they do that now in the US or is that a British thing?
Likes For iab:
Old 08-28-21, 08:46 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
There will be a vintage bike event in 2022 at the Auburn museum - Classic Bicycles Auburn
Now, people actually have to attend to make it a success. Calling it a cool idea on the internet or making an excuse not to attend will not make it a success. Wringing your hands over the details of the event will also not make it a success.

Also, my old job required my attendance at the vintage car race at Road America for many years. Now, that was a while ago, but I do not recall anyone in vintage costume. Other than the Ferrari owners wearing gold chains, but that is timeless. Do they do that now in the US or is that a British thing?
Thanks for the link. Added to my travel plans for next year.
Old 08-28-21, 10:37 AM
FrejusFlyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwVQfrstsA8

--Shannon
I got to do it as a passenger in a Ferrari. The driver was well trained, but scared the bejesus out of me. I'll stick to bikes.
Likes For FrejusFlyer:
Old 08-28-21, 11:07 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Things are different out here in California.
Chuck Schmidt tossed in the towel before his 2008 event.
He made mention that there were zero prepaid registrations.

There are lots of prior issues that Eroica California has had to endure and will have to overcome.
Separate is the pandemic situation. I think decent chance the official plug will be pulled by Tuesday 8/31
My guess is many will still venture to the area and do an unofficial and unsupported ride.
Lodging has been secured, possible paid for. Free time off allocated.
The scale will be small and manageable.
there are expected announcements from the organizers that in normal times would be made public by now, Swap details, the "dinner" details, Concours show?
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-28-21, 11:19 AM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
^^^^its been pulled as I write this. Postponed until next year, message via email.
Old 08-29-21, 05:11 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 486 Posts
I see the biggest impediment to a larger and better L'Eroica (U.S.) event as the riders, themselves. Enthusiasm for, and the consistent riding of, vintage bikes should be much more prevalent, but as we look around, we see (even guys my age, 63) riding new, Chinese carbon. As you have noted, Britain has a long and storied history of serious and organized cycling; N.C.U., B.L.R.C., C.T.C., and as we see from the healthy numbers at L'Eroica Brittania in years past, many of these riders have not forgotten about vintage bikes and riding. Napa would be cool, as would Monterey. The move of L'Eroica Brittania from Bakewell to Goodwood will increase the numbers of riders manifold (is that an auto joke?) because of its proximity to more, large population centers, and perhaps moving L'Eroica California to Monterey would increase access and consequent numbers, so it may be worth a look. I do like your idea of an East Coast L'Eroica, and think there is enough enthusiasm to sustain one, but I could be wrong.
Has L'Eroica California expressed an interest in expanding?
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 08-30-21, 08:03 PM
monkeytusmc 

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie SS, Colnago C40 B-Stay Mapei, 2013 Greg Lemond Commemorative TDF 90 (#55 of 100), 1992 Greg Lemond Team Z, Dario Pegoretti Marcelo "Why Not?", (2) x Zunow Road Bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
^^^^its been pulled as I write this. Postponed until next year, message via email.
do you care to post that email here? I have not received anything
Old 08-31-21, 01:29 AM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
^^^Thats the problem with this event, they do not communicate unless you chase them down . It took a couple of emails and other inquiries to get them to actually respond. Then I finally got the email as others on this forum as well as the CR list that was loosely translated. I don’t know how to post the actual email that was sent to me , but I posted the actual text of the email here and on the CR list immediately after I got it last week. I had told the event coordinator that people need to be told soon because some travel plans and reservations need to be considered. Unless the Eroica folks start communicating better , this event is not viable. I understand the times we are in and we all are dealing with it but it is no excuse for lack of communication.IMHO Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 08-31-21, 12:27 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeytusmc
do you care to post that email here? I have not received anything
That would be telling.
Old 08-31-21, 03:07 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,584 Times in 1,763 Posts
For events like Eroica to succeed on the long term they need a solid foundation. Most countries in western Europe, especially Italy, France and Belgium, have a long road racing history. Every generation has grown up with the Tour de France, the Giro d'Italia or the Ronde van Vlaanderen and has been worshiping its champions for a hundred years or more. L'Eroica and similar events, like Anjou Vélo Vintage and the Retroronde attract large international crowds and have the sympathy of the people.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 08-31-21, 03:39 PM
monkeytusmc 

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie SS, Colnago C40 B-Stay Mapei, 2013 Greg Lemond Commemorative TDF 90 (#55 of 100), 1992 Greg Lemond Team Z, Dario Pegoretti Marcelo "Why Not?", (2) x Zunow Road Bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Got an email back today

Old 08-31-21, 05:22 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
For events like Eroica to succeed on the long term they need a solid foundation. Most countries in western Europe, especially Italy, France and Belgium, have a long road racing history. Every generation has grown up with the Tour de France, the Giro d'Italia or the Ronde van Vlaanderen and has been worshiping its champions for a hundred years or more. L'Eroica and similar events, like Anjou Vélo Vintage and the Retroronde attract large international crowds and have the sympathy of the people.
This, in a nutshell.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 09-01-21, 06:50 PM
mech986 

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I see the biggest impediment to a larger and better L'Eroica (U.S.) event as the riders, themselves. Enthusiasm for, and the consistent riding of, vintage bikes should be much more prevalent, but as we look around, we see (even guys my age, 63) riding new, Chinese carbon. As you have noted, Britain has a long and storied history of serious and organized cycling; N.C.U., B.L.R.C., C.T.C., and as we see from the healthy numbers at L'Eroica Brittania in years past, many of these riders have not forgotten about vintage bikes and riding. Napa would be cool, as would Monterey. The move of L'Eroica Brittania from Bakewell to Goodwood will increase the numbers of riders manifold (is that an auto joke?) because of its proximity to more, large population centers, and perhaps moving L'Eroica California to Monterey would increase access and consequent numbers, so it may be worth a look. I do like your idea of an East Coast L'Eroica, and think there is enough enthusiasm to sustain one, but I could be wrong.
Has L'Eroica California expressed an interest in expanding?
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
This, in a nutshell.
Agree with both of you. As far as Expansion, no, haven't heard anything simply because getting the one event held and stable has been the primary focus. I really think sans pandemic, the 2020 event would have been at least as large if not larger than the 2019 event (900+ classic and 200+ Nova riders. I had heard 2021 estimates of 1200+ Classic and 300+ Nova riders was the goal or signed up already (including prior registrations) but that cancellations were beginning to mount. My understanding is Eroica Germania, held mid August, had a decent turnout ~500, but many others declined due to worries about Covid and the general issues of travel and exposure. Certainly, Europe is still dealing with as difficult a time as we are here in the US. Economic viability isn't easy with that few riders when expecting and hoping for much more.

As for an East Coast Eroica, I certainly think its doable and offers some great options for routes and scenery. Whether there's wineries, picturesque small towns, and any major bike culture to tie into, well that would be up to potential organizers to propose and promote. One wonders whether existing Gran Fondos for instance could tie in an Eroica like Classic Steel event along with the regular ride? That could be one way to introduce and develop a regional following and provide viable options with less travel. You might even attract some of us left coasters to fly out and join the fun. The Dale Brown / Cycles D' Oro Classic Rendezvous event in North Carolina pulls in members from all over the country but isn't nearly as big.

Of course, all of this presumes that Eroica in Italy would be open to new or additional events in the same country.
Old 09-02-21, 05:12 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 486 Posts
I think participating in any large event, either in Sussex or San Robles, is folly right now, especially if we have to travel, but even if we don't, being in the slipstream of multiple riders, for an extended period, is probably not what we want, especially while breathing heavily or rapidly. While we keep our cardio/respiratory systems fit with solo rides, it gives us time to think about how these race organizers can adapt and prepare most effectively. Of course, postponing an event costs money, and effects more than the event itself, but the local hospitality and travel industries, as well. This is going to take some patience, flexibility and finance-management, both personal and public.
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 09-02-21, 08:25 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,584 Times in 1,763 Posts
Luckily I am not fast enough to be in anyone's slipstream for long, as I will be off to Valkenburg tomorrow, for Eroica Limburg.

I hope to get there in time to catch the TI Raleigh Memorial Ride, with Joop Zoetemelk, Leo van Vliet and 15 more former Raleigh team members. Jan Janssen, Erik Zabel, Johan Museeuw and Bernard Hinault will also be present, I've been told.

Talk about tying in with local racing history. Every Dutchman from a certain age remembers the 1980 TdF, where TI Raleigh took 11 stage wins, as well as the yellow and white jerseys. The province of Limburg has also been the home of the Amstel Gold Race since its conception, and the town of Valkenburg has been a regular host of the men's road cycling World Championships since 1938.

This Saturday we will all be riding (or walking) up the Cauberg, just like the guys below were doing in 1938 (the riding, not the walking). The winner, the Belgian Marcel Kint, is the second rider from the right:

Likes For non-fixie: