Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sunglasses with Prescription Glasses

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sunglasses with Prescription Glasses

Old 09-10-21, 07:27 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,579 Times in 2,895 Posts
Got these cheapies on Amazon for $30+ which came with 5 different lenses. UVA, UVB and polarized. Also came with inserts, so had my optical shop make some bi-focals and snapped them in and they work great. Good eye protection, long distance and near vision - and my nifty eyebrow grease protectors.

Old 09-10-21, 08:17 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
I wear multi-focal contacts and a pair of Tifosi sunglasses. Don't waste your money on the "Fototec" lens, they really don't change much. I just bought another pair for $23 on Ebay (new) with clear lens. I'll keep one pair with the darker lens and the other with clear for cloudy days.
Old 09-10-21, 08:23 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Rudy Project Rydon glasses with clear photo chromatic lens and prescription insert.They change quickly and are great when on a long ride and don't get home till after dark.

My prescription progressive lenses cost only $80 since they are just regular plastic.

Clear

Dark
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-11-21, 06:42 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Contacts plus expensive Rudy Projects and Oakleys, that are cycling specific.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-11-21, 06:50 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
If you're on a budget and need distance correction, there are any number of online sources for prescription sunglasses provided you have a recent prescription. Aviator-style prescription sunglasses with metal frames and UV coated lenses can be had relatively cheaply - for well under $50 as I recall.

That works fine for me. But I don't consider my eyewear a fashion statement; I wear them to be able to see clearly. Some seem to be more concerned with fashion and brand than I and thus spend far more on their eyewear.

To each his/her own.

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-11-21 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Correct awkward wording.
Old 09-11-21, 07:39 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I have very small prescription glasses and most sunglasses can be worn directly over them .. the super budget geeky look.

Recently since my prescription seems to have stopped shifting I got some Oakley progressive polarized sunglasses. Not a whole lot of difference but I do look less geeky. Oakley now makes progressives optimized for particular sports including cycling. I decided to just get the all-around ones since I wear the sunglasses in many settings, also my non-sunglass progressives always did well for me on the bike.
Old 09-13-21, 08:05 PM
wundermary

Bikes: 1991 Technium Olympian

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a pair of regular dark scrips. I've been wearing scrip shades for 40+ years and I always get grey 80% dark with polarized lenses, because I like that Ray Charles look lol I'm nearsighted to the point of being handicapped without my glasses and have never worn contacts, so I'm not much help in that department.

What I have found is that I can wear a pair of scrip sunglasses for at least 2 scrips out before I need to replace them, so they're a good investment, too. I've eyed the sport style dark glasses and am thinking I'm going to try a pair, myself. The flip-up pair someone posted further up look pretty nice.

I've been having great service from Zenni for years but I see you have not. It's not like they're the only game in town. I will say I ordered 2 pairs from Zeelool and wasn't happy with the quality on either pair. I also ordered a pair through my optometrist a couple of years ago and was happy with those.
Old 09-13-21, 08:48 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4345 Post(s)
Liked 2,993 Times in 1,849 Posts
Another vote for Rudy Project
Old 09-13-21, 09:09 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
[QUOTE=Mtl01;21038131]I got a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses with my progressive prescription. They were quite expensive but work very well for me. I use them for driving and cycling.

I too highly recommend Maui Jim prescription sunglasses.I have been wearing Maui Jim forever now. The price is well worth it.
Old 09-14-21, 07:47 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I have perscription sunglasses. I don't like to wear them on my bike. They are better in my car. They are too big for me and tend to fall off. I brought them to my optician so he could tighten them up, but I guess I have reached the limits of how tight he can make them without breaking the frame. I'm currently doing the sports (transition) glasses over contacts. I probably need some cheaters built into those. Can't read my cycling computer. I hate needing reading glasses. Never did before. The trick was to just take off my prescription glasses. Not so easy to pop out the contacts so I can read.
Old 09-14-21, 06:52 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
I have perscription sunglasses. I don't like to wear them on my bike. They are better in my car. They are too big for me and tend to fall off. I brought them to my optician so he could tighten them up, but I guess I have reached the limits of how tight he can make them without breaking the frame. I'm currently doing the sports (transition) glasses over contacts. I probably need some cheaters built into those. Can't read my cycling computer. I hate needing reading glasses. Never did before. The trick was to just take off my prescription glasses. Not so easy to pop out the contacts so I can read.
I was like you, look under my prescription glasses or take them off to read. I switched regular contacts for multi-focal (bifocal) contacts a few years ago, they changed my life. They're not perfect for reading,but allow me to read my computer, phone, car display, etc.
Old 09-15-21, 10:45 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Don't know what others have recommended, but Zenni prescription sunglasses with "aviator" frames are about $15 delivered and I've been using them for years.
Old 06-20-22, 02:39 AM
tomhank

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the best frame I've ever had in years of wearing prescription glasses, yes these are Oakley glasses, progressive vision done at Oakley, so if you're wondering if it can be done, the answer is Yes, light weight, stays in place, doesn't move, and looks sporty if you're in a workout or if you're a construction guy, the best thing is the wrap around of the frame with no cut off on the side view here are some pictures of me wearing it.
Old 06-20-22, 04:02 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Lots of options. My dedicated sunglasses have cable temples to keep them secure. The polarized lens on those hamper reading screens. With my everyday transition lens glasses I use a silicon ear hook which functions like a portable cable temple. They work well, are inexpensive and have a limited life. The fogging issue may require a downsized frame.
Old 06-21-22, 01:37 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Halfpoundbobby
Prescription sunglasses.
I can not endorse zenni enough.
I haven't gotten another pair from an optometrist since I stared ordering from them. My most expensive pair from them was like 50 doll hairs altogether.
My neighbor just turned me on to them. We were outside and she got her mail, in it was her prescription glasses from Zenni. Hers were a frame that had a magnetic sunglasses attachment. Once they were on, they simply looked like the same frame in a pair of sunglasses. Really nice.

She has been getting her glasses from them for years and hasn't had issues with her prescription.
Old 06-21-22, 07:15 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I wear bifocals. I get the everyday day glasses from Zenni. For sunglasses, I have a pair of Denali Summits that I use for everything outside. Cycling, running, tri, etc. They've held up well for 5 or 6 years. About time to get another pair. I'll see what Zenni has to offer in sport glasses. Probably get another pair of Denalis, though.
Old 06-21-22, 08:11 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I thought I had the best riding, skiing, driving and fishing prescription sunglasses until I received my first pair of Gatorz. There are a lot of fine sunglasses out there; however, I challenge anyone to find a more durable, stylish, wrap-around sunglasses that protect the eyes more and come with a lifetime guarantee than Gatorz, and Made in the USA!.

They are very competitively priced and come in a number of different styles. And no, I have zero financial interest in this.

I am totally sold on these. They became a thing in the military and special ops community because of their ruggedness. They come in non-mirrored, mirrored, polarized, non-polarized and various color lenses and are made from aluminum, not plastic.

They are sold straight from Gatorz (direct to consumer) so they avoid the middleman and distributor price markup. I got the Wraptors in Rx and absolutely LOVE them. They hug my face, don't fog up, are light and fit snugly. I suggest you check them out. They go on sale now and then and I just bought a non-Rx pair for some beaters at 40% off.

https://www.gatorz.com/

These are the ones I got:

Last edited by drlogik; 06-21-22 at 08:17 PM.