Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Honest opinion piece on disc brakes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Honest opinion piece on disc brakes

Old 02-15-21, 12:40 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
I switched my moutain bike to disc (cable) in the rear when I broke the last frame. I could change the front but really like the wheel with the Ringle hub I’ve built up 15 years ago. Anyway the rear rim brake never worked well. The disc was a good improvement.

My road bike is rim brake carbon wheels. Work well. Better than the aluminum wheels. Next bike I want disc all around. My issue is I take the wheels off for hauling I the trunk. Cable disc stay open and I can get them back on easy. I’m afraid hydraulic will close up and using a wedge will be a pain. How much trouble do others have?
If you can insert a credit card into your wallet, you can insert a wedge into a disc brake caliper. And it will take about the same amount of time.
Old 02-15-21, 12:42 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by rydabent
I appreciate new tech if it is an improvement like clik shifting, clipless pedals and disc brakes are. In my judgement plastic bikes are NOT an improvement because of their price and how fragile they are. And like all plastics they get brittle in their old age.
You don't seem to have a clue about cf bike prices, nor about the durability and longevity of such frames.

Stop making stuff up. Really. Just stop.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-15-21, 12:59 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I don’t have a bike with disc brakes, but an easy way to get an honest opinion is to reverse the sequence.

If disc brakes had been the norm for decades and the “industry” decided to introduce rim brakes would anyone be able to defend using rim brakes.
I've got a few questions about these new rim brakes:

They're only going to be used on road bikes?
I'm going to have to change brake pads when I swap my carbon wheels and aluminum wheels?
Braking will be worse in wet conditions?
There's a chance my carbon wheels will overheat and delaminate on a long descent?
They're going to limit the size of my tires?

And this is all to save a couple hundred grams?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-15-21, 01:10 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I've got a few questions about these new rim brakes:

They're only going to be used on road bikes?
I'm going to have to change brake pads when I swap my carbon wheels and aluminum wheels?
Braking will be worse in wet conditions?
There's a chance my carbon wheels will overheat and delaminate on a long descent?
They're going to limit the size of my tires?

And this is all to save a couple hundred grams?
More importantly, it will preserve your status as a retro-grouch. (Don't forget to wear those gloves with leather palms and crochet-knit backs.)
Old 02-15-21, 01:16 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Koyote
More importantly, it will preserve your status as a retro-grouch. (Don't forget to wear those gloves with leather palms and crochet-knit backs.)
This is 70sSanO's parallel universe where disc brakes precede rim brakes, and retro-grouches become future-grouches.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-15-21, 01:18 PM
tomato coupe

Does anyone have a link for the "honest" opinion piece that started this thread?
Old 02-15-21, 01:24 PM
Koyote

This is 70sSanO's parallel universe where disc brakes precede rim brakes, and retro-grouches become future-grouches.
My mind is officially blown.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-15-21, 01:29 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,039 Times in 3,800 Posts
I appreciate new tech if it is an improvement like clik shifting, clipless pedals and disc brakes are. In my judgement plastic bikes are NOT an improvement because of their price and how fragile they are. And like all plastics they get brittle in their old age.
Your "judgement" is not based on facts or evidence specific to actual CF bicycle frames in the real world.

EDIT: Here's some input from a few people familiar with carbon fiber in bicycle applications...
Originally Posted by Lennard Zinn
Carbon fiber essentially does not fatigue as long as the carbon-and-resin matrix is not damaged.

Originally Posted by Look
There is no limitation because carbon has a natural flexibility. It can be used a hundred years while maintaining the same stiffness.
Originally Posted by Easton
The good news is the fatigue life of carbon fiber is immensely more than that of metals.

Originally Posted by Kestrel
For carbon forks in general, there should not be any limited life span, as carbon composites themselves are not subject to fatigue failures as metals are. So the fatigue life of a properly made carbon composite is 'infinite'.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-15-21 at 01:44 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 02-15-21, 01:30 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
If you want them, you need a new a bike. And who wants to sell more bikes?
Reminds me of 650B, except that there's actually a few reasons to like discs...
Old 02-15-21, 01:40 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 672 Posts
I switched my moutain bike to disc (cable) in the rear when I broke the last frame. I could change the front but really like the wheel with the Ringle hub I’ve built up 15 years ago. Anyway the rear rim brake never worked well. The disc was a good improvement.

My road bike is rim brake carbon wheels. Work well. Better than the aluminum wheels. Next bike I want disc all around. My issue is I take the wheels off for hauling I the trunk. Cable disc stay open and I can get them back on easy. I’m afraid hydraulic will close up and using a wedge will be a pain. How much trouble do others have?
None.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-15-21, 01:48 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts

Wedging them back open isn't difficult, but I still like to be proactive. Shimano has orange spacers that you can pop in between the pads and they also have yellow doohickies (technical term) that slide in under the brake/shift levers and prevent both inadvertent shifting and braking actuation.

Both of these items come with levers/calipers when purchased separately and, if I were buying a complete bike, I'd ask for the shop to provide them (if they don't immediately throw them away, they should have buckets full of 'em).
Old 02-15-21, 01:54 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I only have two bikes. My recumbent I bought in 2011 and specifically upgraded to the disc brake version because the primary use for this bike was commuting when I lived in Seattle. I wanted good, reliable wet weather brake performance. I've found them easy to use, not too finicky (really needing about the same adjustment as my old rim brakes) and plenty reliable. I won't say I'd never go back to rim brakes, but I do remember having to be more particular about the pads I selected if I wanted good wet weather performance.

My velo has drum brakes (90mm). They seem to stop well in pretty much any condition and haven't done anything to them since I bought it (used, it was already all set up). I like them so far, but again, wouldn't be averse to switching to discs if there was a good reason. I don't think rim brakes are a thing with velos.
Old 02-15-21, 01:57 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Spenco. Red, white and blue backs. My skin darkens easily. They caused the worst tan marks. Some people thought I had a skin condition.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-15-21, 02:30 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
If you can insert a credit card into your wallet, you can insert a wedge into a disc brake caliper. And it will take about the same amount of time.
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Wedging them back open isn't difficult, but I still like to be proactive. Shimano has orange spacers that you can pop in between the pads and they also have yellow doohickies (technical term) that slide in under the brake/shift levers and prevent both inadvertent shifting and braking actuation.

Both of these items come with levers/calipers when purchased separately and, if I were buying a complete bike, I'd ask for the shop to provide them (if they don't immediately throw them away, they should have buckets full of 'em).
I guess I’m just procrastinating and want to do some test rides. Last April COVID put a kink in my plans. That still and a new roof.

But based on my limited one on the rear experience disc on a bike is like when I went from a motorcycle with drum breaks all around to a single disc on the front.
Old 02-15-21, 03:26 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Does anyone have a link for the "honest" opinion piece that started this thread?
This I think:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...he-year-490145

Otto
Old 02-15-21, 03:36 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by ofajen
Thanks, but I don't think that's it.
Old 02-15-21, 03:42 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
If disc brakes had been the norm for decades and the “industry” decided to introduce rim brakes would anyone be able to defend using rim brakes.

Can you imagine the response from the suggestion of using the rim as a braking surface? Having to buy a new bike with rim brake caliper mounts because none of the existing bikes had any way to mount them. And having to replace a rim one day from brake wear?

John

The added stress to the frame from the single thru-bolt or side mounts at the top of the seat stays constantly being flexed. "OMGee! that'll cause metal fatigue at 45,000 miles & you will be dedz!"
Old 02-15-21, 06:02 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Thanks, but I don't think that's it.
Yeah I looked up The Russian Crank and found nothing related on his blog. Only a few articles are visible. Maybe it was in a newsletter that isn’t on his blog. I just remembered seeing that Cycling Weekly thing on the same topic.

Otto
Old 02-15-21, 06:11 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
About 10 years ago when Niner introduced their right CF bike there was a video of the founder beating on the CF fork with a hammer and there was no damage.

If CF bikes were fragile they wouldn't make most if not all of the high end MTB market, plastic bikes are ugly but they're not delicate and they age just fine.
Old 02-15-21, 06:14 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Back on the topic of disc brakes. I’ve been rocking my cheap 80s builds in recent years. Really no benefit for me to switch my skinny tire (road frame) bike to disc brakes. I’m running the same Superbe calipers I’ve used for over 40 years and might just run them another 40.

OTOH, I ride my big tire (26er) bike on dusty/muddy trails and rim brakes can get messed up. The rear u-brake froze up on my last ride due to accumulated mud and water that froze on the frame, brake and cable during the ride. Quickly fixed with water from my water bottle to unfreeze and clear away the ice mud. Still, the rims and tires are always a complete mess this time of year, which doesn’t help with braking

So, I’m thinking at some point I’ll get a bike that runs disc brakes and can do 27.5 or 29er, since that’s what most of the groovy new tires are made for. I’m thinking perhaps a Surly Ogre or something like that, since it can run as a proper SS without needing a chain tensioner.

Otto
Old 02-15-21, 07:08 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
Sorry for the delay responding. I had to hurry and post replies and place orders in my parallel universe. In another week the internet will not have been invented over there.

At least my bikes are cutting edge.

John
Old 02-15-21, 07:43 PM
Troul 

Sorry for the delay responding. I had to hurry and post replies and place orders in my parallel universe. In another week the internet will not have been invented over there.

At least my bikes are cutting edge.

John
Where will you use those items when the order arrives? The discovery of fire will become obscure while everything else is at the mercy of serendipity.
Old 02-15-21, 08:07 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Where will you use those items when the order arrives? The discovery of fire will become obscure while everything else is at the mercy of serendipity.
“Tullio, it is a brake and shifter combined together. It will make you a lot of money. Yes, I like the Gran Sport too, but this is the future, well technically the past, but it will change the bicycle industry. We could be partners. I’d like to call it CTI, Campagnolo Total Integration.”

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 02-15-21, 08:31 PM
Troul 

“Tullio, it is a brake and shifter combined together. It will make you a lot of money. Yes, I like the Gran Sport too, but this is the future, well technically the past, but it will change the bicycle industry. We could be partners. I’d like to call it CTI, Campagnolo Total Integration.”

John
& ...... now it's 100 B.C. Soon Trex will be looking at a meteorite blasting in from the sky.
Old 02-15-21, 09:36 PM
RandomLetters98

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
V-Brakes work fine, I see no particular need for disc brakes. Any more stopping power would just throw me over the front wheels.

The bicycle industry is a fashion industry. The manufacturers have no sentiment, the split second a new design comes in they stop making their old one and move the entire production over to the new type, no matter how daft it is.

Personally I think the massive tyred 29" bikes they sell now and all those beachcomber type bikes are the worst things the industry has made since the dragsters and ten speed racers in the 1970s.
Likes For RandomLetters98:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.