Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I almost stepped on a snake.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-06-21, 12:03 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts

I cycle a lot on tracks in farming areas. I walked behind some trees for a call of nature, or in American, a bathroom break. There was a snake under some leaves, and I stepped just a few inches from it. It decided to get away as fast as possible. If I had stepped on it, I would probably have been bitten. It was only a small snake, about 2 feet (600 mm) long. There are many larger snakes around.

Where I am is python territory. I have seen a python caught by locals, about 5 inches in diameter. These are several meters long. If the locals catch them, they can feed an entire village or two.

Pythons are rare, as the locals eat them. Then you go cycling through these areas, and discover more. Snakes shed their skins. I have come across several snake skins while cycling. Two of them were so big, they must have been pythons. I have not seen a live python in the wild, but seeing the skins tells me they are there. If I ever see one, I am putting some distance between it and me quite quickly. But the concern is when you don't see them.

Of course I could just stay home, and put on weight until I die of a heart attack.

I could also ride on the larger roads, and get hit by a car or truck.

If I ever go silent on this forum, with no explanation. You can take a poll to see who thinks I got bitten by a snake, and who thinks I got hit by a car or truck.
Likes For alo:
Old 07-06-21, 12:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Ok
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-06-21, 12:19 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-06-21, 01:09 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Almost stepping on a snek in Texas -- off the pavement, anyway -- is like almost stepping on a stick or leaf.

I've shooed many an adolescent rattler off the road where they'd fallen asleep basking in the warm sun, and water moccasins off the MUP near the river. They come out after dark to enjoy a bit of warmth, then go into semi-hibernation as the nighttime temperature cools off. A squirt from a water bottle does the trick with rattlers. Doesn't work with water moccasins because... water. They're like "What? Already had my bath. Piss off."
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-06-21, 02:56 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Here's a war story.

In Aug 1990 I was deployed to Saudi Arabia and immediately sent to the Iraq border to dig in fighting positions and wait for tanks to come roll over us (which didn't happen haha). I was taking a break from digging and sat down against some brush on the ground. I heard a hissing noise that sounded like a kitten and felt something hit the canteen that was on my back hip. I thought "there aren't any kittens out here" and jumped up. A horned sand viper was hidden in the brush and had taken a strike at me. I ended up killing it with my shovel. My canteen saved me from one of the most deadly snakes on the planet and I would have been screwed because we were out in the middle of nowhere. Saw a cobra every now and then as well. The Bedouins who live out in that desert are some hard core people.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 07-06-21, 05:09 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
It really depends on where you are and what type of snake.

Around here most of our snakes are Garter Snakes and Gopher (Bull) snakes. Both harmless. If I find a live gopher snake on the road, I'll try to shoo it away, just in case the next vehicle coming down the road isn't as snake friendly.

There are some rattlers (which look somewhat like the gopher snakes), but they're pretty rare now.

We don't have python weather here. Although the snake is an invasive species in Florida.
Old 07-06-21, 05:26 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
My parents' generation fought in WW II. One uncle was in the Pacific theater going island to island. On one after dark beach head, they were told to trench in and hunker down waiting for dawn. My uncle awoke to find a coral snake that he had blindly cut in half attempting to dig into the sand/coral/stone beach. He'd given up in frustration and simply slept. That was his story, anyway.
Old 07-06-21, 05:32 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
tl;dr: OP was bored and wanted to post something today.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-06-21, 05:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Should have brought your pole.

Americans say “nature break.”

Dumb to walk into those conditions if you live in snake county, as you claim.

D-

See me.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-06-21, 06:14 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
OP hasn't posted in six hours. How long should we wait before organizing a search party?
Old 07-06-21, 06:21 AM
Koyote

Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
OP hasn't posted in six hours. How long should we wait before organizing a search party?
fify.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-06-21, 08:32 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Perhaps he’s realized that the jig is up (a few stragglers aside) and will retire this sock for another one, at least temporarily.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-06-21, 09:07 AM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Pee from bike for safety
gm
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 07-06-21, 09:43 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I have been bitten on the hand twice by a python, a smaller one like you described. It left a pair of horseshoe shaped sets of tiny puncture marks on my hand, but no other effects. The snake let go as soon as she realized I was not of edible size. I imagine I would be telling a different tale, or not here to tell any tale at all, if it were a full grown reticulated python or an anaconda.
Old 07-06-21, 09:50 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
I encounter a snake every time I take a nature break. I just wrangle it back in after I finish and go back to what I was doing before.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-06-21, 10:43 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
OP's in Florida, which is now python territory thanks to pet owners who, at one time, thought they wanted to own a python.

Originally Posted by OP
Pythons are rare, as the locals eat them.

Please move to "Florida man" thread.
Old 07-06-21, 11:04 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by seypat
I encounter a snake every time I take a nature break. I just wrangle it back in after I finish and go back to what I was doing before.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-06-21, 11:04 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
The images of how big some of the Burmese Pythons in FLA is unsettling.
Old 07-06-21, 02:08 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
i often come across big snakes sunning self and it always is a scary thing.
bunny hop mostly away to safety.
Old 07-06-21, 02:20 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
If I ever go silent on this forum, with no explanation. You can take a poll to see who thinks I got bitten by a snake, and who thinks I got hit by a car or truck.
I'm voting for "impaled on steerer extension or pole." Or maybe "choked on sock."
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-06-21, 02:24 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Silly Americans, I have to explain what "nature break" means to you because you are so unsophisticated you couldn't possibly understand what that means!

(this works better in a Monty-Python-French-Soldier-Taunting-King-Arthur voice)
Old 07-06-21, 02:35 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Now that's funny I don't care who you are lol
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 07-06-21, 02:51 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Man bitten by python while on toilet https://www.huffpost.com/entry/austr...b03ef2d08bc31a Law of the jungle, big snake attacks smaller snake.
Old 07-06-21, 09:04 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Here's a war story.

In Aug 1990 I was deployed to Saudi Arabia and immediately sent to the Iraq border to dig in fighting positions and wait for tanks to come roll over us (which didn't happen haha). I was taking a break from digging and sat down against some brush on the ground. I heard a hissing noise that sounded like a kitten and felt something hit the canteen that was on my back hip. I thought "there aren't any kittens out here" and jumped up. A horned sand viper was hidden in the brush and had taken a strike at me. I ended up killing it with my shovel. My canteen saved me from one of the most deadly snakes on the planet and I would have been screwed because we were out in the middle of nowhere. Saw a cobra every now and then as well. The Bedouins who live out in that desert are some hard core people.
Super hardcore.
I drove by them. It was hot. Funny that they weren’t wearing shorts and tank tops (heavy sarcasm).
But hey, what do they know about dress in hot weather? They should learn from us westerners.
Old 07-06-21, 09:31 PM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Silly Americans, I have to explain what "nature break" means to you because you are so unsophisticated you couldn't possibly understand what that means!
It seems you didn't read what I actually said. I have never heard an Australian say "nature break." Most use words not polite enough to write on this forum. The few that I have heard trying to be polite, have said "call of nature." However, there are probably Australians somewhere that use other expressions.

It seems like you think there are only Americans on this forum. There are actually people from all over the world, and with some, English is not their first language. They don't understand unusual expressions.

When Phil Liggett has come across these situations in the Tour de France, he explains what it means. He knows some people wont understand unusual expressions.

You will also find, the number of people who read this site, but don't contribute, would probably be somewhere between 20 and 100 times the number of people who contribute. Many of them don't speak English as a first language.

Maybe you could spend time with people who don't speak English as a first language.
Likes For alo:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.