Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Made from mostly unwanted junk Wheel Trueing stand

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-21, 06:59 PM
EaOutlaw1969

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Here are some pictures of my home made wheel truing stand. I wanted the Park Tools 4.2 but I did not want the price tag. So I am in the middle of making one that once I clean it up I can use while sitting in the living room. I have 3 trikes and 3 other wheels that all need to be trued and get the tires seated properly. with all the wheels I have to deal with it just does not make financial sense to let someone else get paid to do a half ass job. I did order a Park Tool 238K Caliper Upgrade Kit for TS-2 Truing Stand https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I am pretty sure I can find away to rig this kit up to my stand. It will not look as fancy as the Park and will not be anywhere close to as easy to set up as the Park tools stand yet I am more proud that is is hand made by me.
BTW I made most of this from a old bent up folding metal sawhorse, a old tripod, and a old wore out bent up folding table I had to fix. ( some of the material and fasteners came from Home Depot
Sorry about the mess in the back ground trust me I will clean it up soon.

Likes For EaOutlaw1969:
Old 08-07-21, 08:18 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Creative, but could not cut up my folding sawhorses

Old 08-07-21, 09:10 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
That’s pretty creative. But really…after everything it takes to build it…it seems like buying the Park stand would be easier.

Dan
Old 08-07-21, 09:26 PM
EaOutlaw1969

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Creative, but could not cut up my folding sawhorses
Do not worry no actual in good shape saw horses were harmed in this documentary.
Old 08-07-21, 09:41 PM
EaOutlaw1969

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
That’s pretty creative. But really…after everything it takes to build it…it seems like buying the Park stand would be easier.

Dan
You are right with the time it took and the cash I have spent so far I could have purchased the just bought the least expensive Park Stand Well I could have purchased it yet I would still be waiting on it to arrive.
I have two tadpole trikes Both TerraTrikes one Rogue and the other is a GTS plus I have a Delta trike they all need to have their wheels trued and have the tires seated properly So I do not mind doing what I can during rainy days we have been having.
But since you are buying I need https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-TS-...g-goods&sr=1-1
And I could use https://www.parktool.com/product/centering-gauge-1554-1
Thanks for the donation. Be sure to send the wheels you need built or trued and I will take care of that in appreciation.
Old 08-08-21, 08:46 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
I like it, reminds me of the pleasure I get from the learning, innovation, satisfaction I get and re-purposing scrap. Being a tinkerer myself I built my stand with what is basically given in Roger Musson's excellent book, Professional Guide to Wheel Building. I have modified it a few times and dial indicators are next but would have to completely rebuild or have a second stand for e-bike or fat tires.
Old 08-08-21, 04:44 PM
EaOutlaw1969

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I like it, reminds me of the pleasure I get from the learning, innovation, satisfaction I get and re-purposing scrap. Being a tinkerer myself I built my stand with what is basically given in Roger Musson's excellent book, Professional Guide to Wheel Building. I have modified it a few times and dial indicators are next but would have to completely rebuild or have a second stand for e-bike or fat tires.
I figured by building the stand the way I am it will allow me to adjust it for any size tire and wheel combination without replacing any parts.
Old 08-08-21, 05:27 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by EaOutlaw1969
I figured by building the stand the way I am it will allow me to adjust it for any size tire and wheel combination without replacing any parts.
Exactly, fit for purpose.
Old 08-08-21, 07:47 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by EaOutlaw1969
I have two tadpole trikes Both TerraTrikes one Rogue and the other is a GTS plus I have a Delta trike they all need to have their wheels trued and have the tires seated properly
On a related note, now that I think back, all of my son's bikes before his current (but outgrown) Cannondale Quick 24" have wheels which are noticeably out of true. All of them are slightly out of round (i.e., non-constant radius) and a few further have noticeable left and right oscillations.
Old 08-09-21, 06:22 PM
EaOutlaw1969

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Old 08-09-21, 06:33 PM
EaOutlaw1969

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The Bike tool station- truing stand has got more love more to updates coming. I will be also adding storage provisions for all my bike tools and small spare parts. aside from what I keep on my trike I may end up adding locking swivel casters that came off of my snap on tool cart. I did manage to get my Nuvinci N380 hub laced in to my TerraTrike 26" wheel. I am not crazy about he 2 cross pattern I was limited to. I hope it holds up to my abuse. I plan on going to HD and getting new twin Tape measurers, and twin plastic Combo speed square, angle finder. I will get this stand zeroed out then work out away to make adjusting the stand less labor intensive.
Old 08-09-21, 07:56 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I iike it a lot, and I have a Park stand. Mine works great, but yours is .... cool.
Old 08-10-21, 04:09 PM
EaOutlaw1969

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
I iike it a lot, and I have a Park stand. Mine works great, but yours is .... cool.
Thanks
Old 08-10-21, 04:14 PM
EaOutlaw1969

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Some more upgrades to the stand more to come I did some work to the wheel, lubed the spokes, nipples and tensioned the spokes where the wheel is reasonably ( Retail ready} yet not true enough to pass a dial indicator test.