Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Trek 520 VS 1120 vs building a bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: Which bike would you choose
Trek 520
77.78%
Trek 1120
22.22%
Custom built with new Trek Frame
0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Trek 520 VS 1120 vs building a bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-21, 12:54 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by M Rose
After much thought, and riding the road a couple of times, I have decided to look for a used 520 to build off of.
keep an eye on groups on eBay, I picked up my Rival 1 for a decent price on eBay.de
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 08-16-21, 01:13 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
keep an eye on groups on eBay, I picked up my Rival 1 for a decent price on eBay.de
EBay and Craig’s List are my go to used online sources… I don’t do the FB thing. I’m hoping to find a 2019+ 520 for a decent price… maybe even just a frame to build off of.
Old 08-16-21, 01:18 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by M Rose
EBay and Craig’s List are my go to used online sources… I don’t do the FB thing. I’m hoping to find a 2019+ 520 for a decent price… maybe even just a frame to build off of.
My Rival group was new and from a bike shop so warranty still applies.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 09-30-21, 11:28 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
For longer distances the 1x drivetrains leave a lot to be desired. Unfortunately only the less expensive "mountain" bikes have the front derailer and 20 or more gear options speeds instead of 11 or 12 speeds. I would be looking at one of the Trek Domane gravel bikes. A bonus with these bikes is having factory mounting points for a rear rack to support panniers for touring.

Building your own bike will increase your costs by 50% or more as each part will cost often double or triple what Trek pays for the same part. The problem at this time is the short supply of bikes in the less than $5,000 price range and in particular in medium frame sizes. Best to see what is actually available to buy at local bike shops in your size and price range.
Old 09-30-21, 02:36 PM
M Rose

Originally Posted by Calsun
For longer distances the 1x drivetrains leave a lot to be desired. Unfortunately only the less expensive "mountain" bikes have the front derailer and 20 or more gear options speeds instead of 11 or 12 speeds. I would be looking at one of the Trek Domane gravel bikes. A bonus with these bikes is having factory mounting points for a rear rack to support panniers for touring.

Building your own bike will increase your costs by 50% or more as each part will cost often double or triple what Trek pays for the same part. The problem at this time is the short supply of bikes in the less than $5,000 price range and in particular in medium frame sizes. Best to see what is actually available to buy at local bike shops in your size and price range.
funny you mention the Domane… I have the AL 2 on order.
Old 10-28-21, 06:32 PM
M Rose

Well, the Domane came in last week, along with a Grando 520 Grando… I ended up putting my money down on the 520.
Likes For M Rose: