Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How to lock your bike...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How to lock your bike...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 01:08 PM
the cyclops

Bikes: 2010 Jamis allegro 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to lock your bike...

After much reviews,and much research on the proper way to lock your bike and the proper locks needed,I went with these...

A 4ft,12 mm steel cable,a brinks high security padlock and a 4X9,15 mm Kryptonite U-lock.
Here is a video also that explains a how to lock your bike,but after watching this video and many like it,I asked myself how the hell do I carry these locks with me when I am not in full commuting mode?(With my rack,rear bag,etc)So watch the video,and answer these questions about your own bike...
How do you lock your bike?
What kind of lock(s) do you use?
How do you transport these lock(s)?
What grade do you think your bike would have gotten?
https://www.bikecommuters.com/2007/06/20/hot-to-lock-your-bike/

Last edited by the cyclops; 07-01-11 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-01-11, 01:11 PM
MijnWraak
Noobie of the year :)

Bikes: 1980's Miyata Seven Ten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you lock your bike?: Sheldon Brown method. I would prefer to get the frame and rear wheel, but see next answer for reason.
What kind of lock(s) do you use?: Mini U-Lock. Not wide enough to fit around frame and tire, and not long enough to fit front tire with it.
How do you transport these lock(s)? Saddlebag.
What grade do you think your bike would have gotten?: Doesn't matter to me, I'm not too worried about thieves where I park my bike at work.

AS for your question about transporting yours - the U-Lock comes with a frame adapter it looks like, so you can likely put it under your toptube. And the cable can be looped around the back of your saddle through the rails.
Old 07-01-11, 01:39 PM
the cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MijnWraak
How do you lock your bike?: Sheldon Brown method. I would prefer to get the frame and rear wheel, but see next answer for reason.
What kind of lock(s) do you use?: Mini U-Lock. Not wide enough to fit around frame and tire, and not long enough to fit front tire with it.
How do you transport these lock(s)? Saddlebag.
What grade do you think your bike would have gotten?: Doesn't matter to me, I'm not too worried about thieves where I park my bike at work.

AS for your question about transporting yours - the U-Lock comes with a frame adapter it looks like, so you can likely put it under your toptube. And the cable can be looped around the back of your saddle through the rails.

OK,thanks.So you use a mini U and a cable?...I live in a relatively low crime area,but from time to time I stop on my route at the grocery stroe,or to grab a bite to eat and just want to know my bike will be there.May be a little overkill but if it got stolen I would be kicking my self in the arse.
Old 07-01-11, 01:45 PM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kryptonite U-lock/cable. Lock through bike-frame and solid pole etc., cable through wheels to same lock. Seat/helmet on very small cable also to the same lock.

Kryptonite U-lock/cables

Saddle bag. I always have it on my bike. When I do road rides I take my road-bike and I don't lock it, I keep it in my possession.

B- or B. I only use one main lock, and the cable I use for seat/helmet is pretty flimsy.
Old 07-01-11, 01:59 PM
the cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
Kryptonite U-lock/cable. Lock through bike-frame and solid pole etc., cable through wheels to same lock. Seat/helmet on very small cable also to the same lock.

Kryptonite U-lock/cables

Saddle bag. I always have it on my bike. When I do road rides I take my road-bike and I don't lock it, I keep it in my possession.

B- or B. I only use one main lock, and the cable I use for seat/helmet is pretty flimsy.
OK,gotcha on the 2 bikes thing.I only have my hybrid so I use it for commuting(which is no problem when transporting locks) but when I go out for exercise,especially when Im by myself I need to have these with me.I am a long distance runner,more so than a cyclist,so I go out for some long rides when I go out for fitness riding and when I have to stop for a bathroom break is my only issue...When you gotta go,you gotta go!!! lol and there is no way I would go in somewhere to do my business and leave my bike unlocked.
mijnwraak sugessted the cable around my seat,which MIGHT work,the cable seems to be touching mybrakes a little,but I may be able to remedy.But the mount that came with the giant u-lock is not pratical in any application.It wont even fit around my top tube,and even if it did my brake cable runs the length of the tube so no-go.I tried to mount it on various places and just not happening...hmmm.I will figure it out Im sure.

Last edited by the cyclops; 07-01-11 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-01-11, 03:41 PM
the cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess Im destined for a grade of C on my non-commuter rides,cause there is no way that u lock is coming with me with out a rack or bag.The cable is wrapped around my handlebars easily enough,but I tried every conceivable place with different bungees and there is just really not a way.Maybe I will just put the rack back on,and leave it on.
Old 07-01-11, 03:50 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1) How do you lock your bike?
2) What kind of lock(s) do you use?
3) How do you transport these lock(s)?

2) Depends on the day and the ride. I have Masterlock Cuffs, a fairly long, good U-Lock and a long thick cable, and a homemade very long NY chain of serious links, paired with a Masterlock padlock, both wrapped in old tubes. Most days the U-Lock and cable. Our house could use another U-Lock for when the choice should be two U-Locks and a cable (girlfriend is now using my spare U-Lock and riding most days to work).

1) Usually through the rear wheel, the bike rack (or something suitable) and the front wheel. Gonna have to get some Pitlocks when I finally invest in a really good saddle.
With the U-Lock locking front wheel to frame and cable through the rest.
The chain is simpler but weighs a ton. It has its moments though. It's long enough to lock up a friends bike properly as well as mine and makes it so I can leave my frame that I am very attached to and the rear wheel that I can't afford to replace (48 spoke Sun Rhyno Lite tandem) locked up at places that I want to go that lesser locks wouldn't be able to secure.

How do you transport these locks?

3) The NY chain I wear like a bandoleer (locked to itself at a good length for this with the tail of chain behind the lock wrapped around the low point - near my hip). The Cuffs end up in my Chrome or a pannier but I rarely use these. Most days it's the cable and U-Lock riding in a small laptop ("notebook/netbook" whatever those half size laptops are) case that I got at a thrift store for $2. It already had two small D rings sewn into it that I used two small leather straps (about the same size as tow clip straps) to secure it to one side of my rear rack. It also portages my pump, bungees and bungee net, the net doing double duty securing the lower half of the case to the lower part of the rack. The latter isn't really necessary, gravity pretty much keeps it there, but this way I don't have to worry about it and I was looking for somewhere to stow my net when I'm not using it anyway.

I hate having my locks make noise while I am rolling so I've taken to stowing the U-Lock as two separate components.

I'll post a pic of this set-up later.

Last edited by Medic Zero; 07-01-11 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-01-11, 04:24 PM
the cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Medic Zero

2) Depends on the day and the ride. I have Masterlock Cuffs, a fairly long, good U-Lock and a long thick cable, and a homemade very long NY chain of serious links, paired with a Masterlock padlock, both wrapped in old tubes. Most days the U-Lock and cable. Our house could use another U-Lock for when the choice should be two U-Locks and a cable (girlfriend is now using my spare U-Lock and riding most days to work).

1) Usually through the rear wheel, the bike rack (or something suitable) and the front wheel. Gonna have to get some Pitlocks when I finally invest in a really good saddle.
With the U-Lock locking front wheel to frame and cable through the rest.
The chain is simpler but weighs a ton. It has its moments though. It's long enough to lock up a friends bike properly as well as mine and makes it so I can leave my frame that I am very attached to and the rear wheel that I can't afford to replace (48 spoke Sun Rhyno Lite tandem) locked up at places that I want to go that lesser locks wouldn't be able to secure.

How do you transport these locks?

3) The NY chain I wear like a bandoleer (locked to itself at a good length for this with the tail of chain behind the lock wrapped around the low point - near my hip). The Cuffs end up in my Chrome or a pannier but I rarely use these. Most days it's the cable and U-Lock riding in a small laptop ("notebook/netbook" whatever those half size laptops are) case that I got at a thrift store for $2. It already had two small D rings sewn into it that I used two small leather straps (about the same size as tow clip straps) to secure it to one side of my rear rack. It also portages my pump, bungees and bungee net, the net doing double duty securing the lower half of the case to the lower part of the rack. The latter isn't really necessary, gravity pretty much keeps it there, but this way I don't have to worry about it and I was looking for somewhere to stow my net when I'm not using it anyway.

I hate having my locks make noise while I am rolling so I've taken to stowing the U-Lock as two separate components.

I'll post a pic of this set-up later.
Kool,nice detailed post,thanks! What are masterlock cuffs?amd looking forward to the pics man!
Old 07-01-11, 04:43 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-01-11, 05:11 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-01-11, 05:27 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts

U-lock through the spokes of the rear wheel, around the seat stays and the bike rack.

OnGuard Pitbull

I leave it attached to the rack at work.

It depends on whether or not the grading scale is adjusted for location. If so, then I'd give myself an A. Theft is pretty rare where I park the bike, and the rear wheel and frame are reasonably secure. If I locked the bike like this in NYC, I'd probably get a C- because my front wheel and saddle are both vulnerable and not cheap. I have a cable that I could use to secure the front wheel, but I don't bother because of my location.
Old 07-04-11, 03:35 PM
the cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys! Hey jus wanted to let anyone know who might be interested....I found a pre-packaged security chain on the cheap from,of all places,wally world.Boron alloy,heat hardened,cut proof,etc.Made from the same steel/material that kryptonite,abus,onguard,thebikeregistery chain,etc use for their chains.Now some of these companies use square links,some 6 sided,and some regular links,but all the same material.
I found this chain on the "lock isle" of wally world,3 feet of this HEAVY chain was only $14.98 Couple that with a good disk or u-lock(you will however have to figure out a cover for this mammoth as to not scratch the finish of your bike) and you will have A+ security for a very reasonable price.You can buy this grade of chain online for 7.50 a foot+$10 flat rate shipping ie;this would cost you 32.50 deliverd on line.
I didnt purchase this chain today,but as soon as I found a super deal on a good lock,one that is just as strong as the chain,Im gonna scoop them both up and ride with that baby bandolier style like rambo!!!
Old 07-04-11, 05:37 PM
gdhillard

Bikes: 2008 Scott SUB 30, 1981 Miyata Ridge Runner, Dahon Speed 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got another Onguard Bulldog Mini from Amazon, on sale at $23.00, for my younger daughter's bike. This one came with a very cool bracket for mounting to a frame tube that was a huge improvement over the brackets that came with the ones purchased earlier. We each use the unlock to lock the frame to a metal pole or rack, and a cheap coiled cable through the wheels locked back to the ulock. No problems yet parking carefully in Albuquerque.
Old 07-04-11, 07:33 PM
the cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gdhillard
Just got another Onguard Bulldog Mini from Amazon, on sale at $23.00, for my younger daughter's bike. This one came with a very cool bracket for mounting to a frame tube that was a huge improvement over the brackets that came with the ones purchased earlier. We each use the unlock to lock the frame to a metal pole or rack, and a cheap coiled cable through the wheels locked back to the ulock. No problems yet parking carefully in Albuquerque.
Yes I locked my bike up at a local coffee shop here in Hickory,NC (rep my city!!!!) In this particular part of town you see a LOT of bikes, and as I was removing front tire,locking everything up I noticed the 2 female clerks looking at me "funny".When I came in to use the bathroom I got the "was this guy really triple locking his bike look".Now that tells 3 things...
1-The little cute girls behind the counter thought I was a moron
2-Not many people must lock there bikes up there
3-The theft of bikes must be fairly low in this area
So that did make me feel a little bit better,but I still want it just for the WOW factor...
From the thief:"WOW,I cant get this bike!"
From a fellow cyclist:"WOW,this guy is the king of FREDS"
Old 07-04-11, 07:38 PM
the cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#at=50
Old 07-04-11, 08:08 PM
Top Gunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How & What:
Low risk- Onguard Bulldog Mini U, Sheldon style through rear wheel. Abus Futura Mini U, front wheel & frame.
High risk- Kryptonite New York STD U, through seat or chain stays + rear wheel. Abus or Onguard Mini U, front wheel & frame.

Transport: Msgr Bag, Pannier, or tucked into belt.

I have no faith in the bracket mounting systems that come with most U-locks. I don't even bother. I removed the mount from the U-lock immediately & threw the bracket away, never looked back.

I also have no faith in cables. I just don't see the point, they can be clipped so easily. I'd rather use two U-locks. I've heard the argument about different tools, different locks, but I don't buy it. First, If a thief is using power tools, I'm sure he has a pair of bolt cutters somewhere. Second, power tools can cut through cables. Neither do I see the point in getting a beefy padlock for a cable. It's like adding one strong link to an otherwise weak chain. The math just doesn't add up.

That said, to each his own. Everyone is entitled to use what works for them. Not trying to be contentious. Just my opinion/experience.

ps- Pee-Wee's Big Adventure rocks.

Last edited by Top Gunner; 07-04-11 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-04-11, 10:27 PM
the cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Top Gunner
How & What:
Low risk- Onguard Bulldog Mini U, Sheldon style through rear wheel. Abus Futura Mini U, front wheel & frame.
High risk- Kryptonite New York STD U, through seat or chain stays + rear wheel. Abus or Onguard Mini U, front wheel & frame.

Transport: Msgr Bag, Pannier, or tucked into belt.

I have no faith in the bracket mounting systems that come with most U-locks. I don't even bother. I removed the mount from the U-lock immediately & threw the bracket away, never looked back.

I also have no faith in cables. I just don't see the point, they can be clipped so easily. I'd rather use two U-locks. I've heard the argument about different tools, different locks, but I don't buy it. First, If a thief is using power tools, I'm sure he has a pair of bolt cutters somewhere. Second, power tools can cut through cables. Neither do I see the point in getting a beefy padlock for a cable. It's like adding one strong link to an otherwise weak chain. The math just doesn't add up.

That said, to each his own. Everyone is entitled to use what works for them. Not trying to be contentious. Just my opinion/experience.

ps- Pee-Wee's Big Adventure rocks.
^^^Yes pee wees big adventure does rock!!! And I dont think you're being contentious,you're just giving your opinion,so thats what I was wanting here.
I agree about the cable just being too easy.I am going to get that chain I described earlier,w/a nice lock,or the bikeregistry.com chain and relagate the cable/lock combo to my lawnmower eventually.The more I read about that chain from bikeregistry the more I want it,and its only $38 delivered,its kind of hard not to get it.
Old 07-05-11, 01:46 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Part of the reason I went with making my own was that I wanted to be sure that I had enough length to go through both wheels and lock up to a bike rack or even things with more girth. You might want to measure the distance between your wheels and estimate how much more you might need to lock to something. The bike registry lock looks pretty good, but I'd be concerned that the 39" might not be enough. I don't recall how long mine is, a little shorter than Pee-Wee's though!
Old 07-05-11, 09:58 AM
the cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Part of the reason I went with making my own was that I wanted to be sure that I had enough length to go through both wheels and lock up to a bike rack or even things with more girth. You might want to measure the distance between your wheels and estimate how much more you might need to lock to something. The bike registry lock looks pretty good, but I'd be concerned that the 39" might not be enough. I don't recall how long mine is, a little shorter than Pee-Wee's though!
A little shorter? LOL!!!!!!!! That thing was like 40 ft!!!! HAHA!!! I think 3ft will be enough,I have quick release wheels so easy to put frame/both wheels close together and lock it up...Still torn between DIY chain and the bikeregistry chain.There both the same material,but the bikeregistry one has square links,but the other has BIG links,just round.
And what size tube did you use,vs the size of the chain? How hard was it to get the chain in the tube?

Last edited by the cyclops; 07-05-11 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-05-11, 05:22 PM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by the cyclops
A little shorter? LOL!!!!!!!! That thing was like 40 ft!!!! HAHA!!! I think 3ft will be enough,I have quick release wheels so easy to put frame/both wheels close together and lock it up...Still torn between DIY chain and the bikeregistry chain.There both the same material,but the bikeregistry one has square links,but the other has BIG links,just round.
And what size tube did you use,vs the size of the chain? How hard was it to get the chain in the tube?
Back then I was running 1.9x26's, I don't recall any real difficulty sliding the tube over the chain. At the ends of the tube I trimmed it down to two lace like strips I then tied to the links. I did end up with about a foot of mine as bare chain, part of a second tube would have rectified this but I haven't gotten around to it. If you are going to wear it bandoleer style I would think that the round links would be more comfortable than the square ones.

Here's the pic of the thrift-store-find small laptop bag lashed down with a couple of leather straps with a little (probably unnecessary) assistance from one of my bungee nets:

The other leather strap is hidden by the bag behind where my Road Morph pump is poking out of the top of the outer pocket.

My girlfriend is no fan of used things and often raises her eyebrows to some of my solutions to things, but in this case she actually expressed that she was envious of this one and that it looked like it had been specifically designed for what I was using it for! I love that my lock makes no noise and is quick and easy to stow now. Of course when I need to run two panniers I need to pull this off, but that takes just a minute.
Old 07-05-11, 06:53 PM
the cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^Good job!!! I like the look of the bag,and thanks for the info on the cover...Although I think I am going to just purchase one ready to go.
I have decided to put the rack/trunk bag back on and just embrace the "weight issue",I suppose I will get a road bike one day and riding the hybrid with all the weight will actually be benificial in the long run.Im ordering the bikeregistry chain or the tulsa chain company security chain on pay day.The tulas chain is around $8 cheaper,but doesnt come with a lock,but damn if it isnt sweeeet!!! And I can get it with a red cover whick will match my black/red JAMIS...Link below,as well as the picture of my hybrid when it has all the gear.
https://www.tulsachain.com/asccustomp...&navParent=367
Old 07-05-11, 08:48 PM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an OnGuard U Lock (a shorter one, but not a mini) with a cable. I just hang it off my bar ends when I ride and wrap the cable around my shoulder/neck like a messenger bag. I usually secure just the frame (downtube) to the rack, and only bother doing the cable around the wheels if my bike will be there awhile, or if there are very few other bikes there.

I keep my commuter bike at my desk at work so it doesn't need a lock. I just use my lock for my mountain bike when I ride to the train station.
Old 07-06-11, 06:13 PM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by the cyclops
^^^Good job!!! I like the look of the bag,and thanks for the info on the cover...Although I think I am going to just purchase one ready to go.
I have decided to put the rack/trunk bag back on and just embrace the "weight issue",I suppose I will get a road bike one day and riding the hybrid with all the weight will actually be benificial in the long run.Im ordering the bikeregistry chain or the tulsa chain company security chain on pay day.The tulas chain is around $8 cheaper,but doesnt come with a lock,but damn if it isnt sweeeet!!! And I can get it with a red cover whick will match my black/red JAMIS...Link below,as well as the picture of my hybrid when it has all the gear.
Which trunk bag is that? My girlfriend is looking for one and I am considering one as an alternative to a pannier for my work commute as well.

I forgot someone had asked about the Masterlock Cuffs too. Although I use mine infrequently, now that my girlfriend is using our second U-Lock I occasionally use it. Today I had to go pick up a package that I thought was at the Post Office in the U-District. Expecting to be inside for some time (there are always long lines there) and figuring it was a high theft area I brought the Cuffs in addition to my U-Lock and cable. I was reminded that the Cuffs are pretty easy to use and the flexibility of the joint in the middle is nice. Here they are and how I used them today:

The cable is through the rack, front wheel, and rear triangle with the U-Lock, although it would have been a little more secure with the Cuff's run from frame to rack I didn't expect that anyone was really going to cut her free and drag off my 50 pound rig, so I went with high deterrent instead to keep anyone from messing with the front wheel. I ran a number of errands on this trip and for most of the less risky stops I used only the Cuffs from the top tube to the bike rack. Despite the quick release, my front wheel takes a minute to get off, so I felt like that was enough at other locations today. It rode in the bottom of an Ortlieb pannier that I was using to carry my man-purse and loot I was picking up.

Last edited by Medic Zero; 07-06-11 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-06-11, 07:44 PM
jpatkinson

Bikes: Gunnar, Surly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will be getting a new commuter in the next couple weeks. I will keep it in my office at work, and plan to use it for errands around town. For locking around town (San Francisco), I plan to go with either the BikeRegistry chain + padlock approach, OR get an Abus chain OR get an OnGuard or Kryptonite chain + u-lock solution. I will just keep the chain in a pannier or strap it on top of the rear rack. The chain seems like the easiest and best option for securing both wheels and the frame, quickly and easily when I am shopping.
Old 07-06-11, 09:22 PM
the cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which trunk bag is that? My girlfriend is looking for one and I am considering one as an alternative to a pannier for my work commute as well.

I forgot someone had asked about the Masterlock Cuffs too. Although I use mine infrequently, now that my girlfriend is using our second U-Lock I occasionally use it. Today I had to go pick up a package that I thought was at the Post Office in the U-District. Expecting to be inside for some time (there are always long lines there) and figuring it was a high theft area I brought the Cuffs in addition to my U-Lock and cable. I was reminded that the Cuffs are pretty easy to use and the flexibility of the joint in the middle is nice. Here they are and how I used them today:

The cable is through the rack, front wheel, and rear triangle with the U-Lock, although it would have been a little more secure with the Cuff's run from frame to rack I didn't expect that anyone was really going to cut her free and drag off my 50 pound rig, so I went with high deterrent instead to keep anyone from messing with the front wheel. I ran a number of errands on this trip and for most of the less risky stops I used only the Cuffs from the top tube to the bike rack. Despite the quick release, my front wheel takes a minute to get off, so I felt like that was enough at other locations today. It rode in the bottom of an Ortlieb pannier that I was using to carry my man-purse and loot I was picking up.
Those cuffs are nice man,like hand cuffs...Are they bike specific?and how are the ratings on those things,are far as security?
The rack I have is a schwinn seatpost rack,w/custom supports I made from aluminum flat bar.The trunk is motorcycle tailbag I bought from walmart.com for $35 bucks,and I added the DOT reflectors on either side.

Last edited by the cyclops; 07-06-11 at 10:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.