Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Pimp my A-line (Brompton)

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-22, 06:57 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts

I hope that this doesn't overlap too much with Childcarepro's thread.
Last week, my fiancé's A-line came in.
I unboxed it Friday, and got to modding it.

Initially, I'd thought about getting my fiancé a bike as an anniversary present.
However, multiple patients told me about kids, cancer, dementia, and the fragility of life.
I figured that:
a.) I have no idea how long I can enjoy life with my fiance/wife in good health. So, might as well enjoy it.
b.) Out of my bikes (xootr swift, miyata 1000LT, Brompton M6R 2014), she loves my Brompton the most by far.
c.) She doesn't know how to use shifters.

I'd thought of a Bike Friday Pakit, Brompton, or a Tern BSB.
In the end, the Brompton was the most logical of the three choices: it's proven, takes up little space, and can adapt to friends if she ever decides to upgrade.
Likes For mlau:
Old 06-07-22, 06:58 PM
mlau

Quite light, and very nicely made. I was thoroughly impressed with the refinement of the fold. It feels like a "Job's era" apple product.

Stock A-line. Quite handsome, aside from the handlebars
Likes For mlau:
Old 06-07-22, 07:01 PM
mlau

As many people have noted, the handlebar grips are rubbish.
They are thin, hard, and uncomfortable.

I had some Velo Orange foam grips sitting around.

These were super nice, and only $15!

It's too long stock, so I cut it down. Thankfully, I have a Japanese marking gauge. You could probably use a small saw and pipe cutter.
I thought these would be perfect for a honey/white color motif for this bike.
Old 06-07-22, 07:04 PM
mlau

The stock plastic pedal was actually pretty nice, and about half the weight of the metal pedals I had on hand.
I kept the plastic pedal on the right side.

For the left, I installed the MKS FD-7 pedal.
It's a pretty nicely made pedal, and doesn't' stick out noticeably more than a Brompton pedal.

The front luggage block was installed too. IMHO, this is a must.
Likes For mlau:
Old 06-07-22, 07:08 PM
mlau

The bike had it's virgin ride on Sunday.
My fiancé was pretty happy about it. It's her first bike since highschool.

Since this picture, I've installed a Crane E-ne bell, and the Brompton AMP 500 light (I don't want her hitting a pothole, like I did)...
I'm planning to install fenders, and some EZ wheels.

Later this week, I should be receiving a Honey Brooks B17 and a rear bike light.
https://www.amazon.com/Padonow-Smart...%2C156&sr=1-29

I'm testing this on my M6R, but still need to figure out how to install it right. Pretty nice form factor.
Old 06-07-22, 07:09 PM
mlau

Just to ask the Brompton crowd:
Would you recommend the EZ-wheel extenders?

She really doesn't like that the bike rolls sorta lopsided in grocery cart mode.

I'm also thinking of getting her a frame strap for easier rolling.
Old 06-07-22, 08:15 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
Just to ask the Brompton crowd:
Would you recommend the EZ-wheel extenders?

She really doesn't like that the bike rolls sorta lopsided in grocery cart mode.

I'm also thinking of getting her a frame strap for easier rolling.
For shopping cart mode, the extenders help but what really makes sense is a rack. Ultimately, I removed the extenders and went with a modification to the drive side of the the rack extending that wheel out to as far as the drive side pedal. That works great in shopping cart mode and does not effect the fold.
Old 06-09-22, 11:33 AM
mlau

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
For shopping cart mode, the extenders help but what really makes sense is a rack. Ultimately, I removed the extenders and went with a modification to the drive side of the the rack extending that wheel out to as far as the drive side pedal. That works great in shopping cart mode and does not effect the fold.
Thanks, Schwinnsta!

Do you have pictures of the mod? Also, for the rack, is it the mini rack or the full sized Brompton rack?
Old 06-09-22, 12:14 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts

Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 06-09-22, 11:28 PM
childcarepro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The stock plastic pedal was actually pretty nice, and about half the weight of the metal pedals I had on hand.
I kept the plastic pedal on the right side.

For the left, I installed the MKS FD-7 pedal.
It's a pretty nicely made pedal, and doesn't' stick out noticeably more than a Brompton pedal.

The front luggage block was installed too. IMHO, this is a must.
Did you get a Brompton or aftermarket front luggage block ? I was going to get a lightweight aluminum luggage block to save weight, but looks like the Brompton is already not that heavy because it's plastic. Was also going to get ultralight folding pedals, but you state the A line already has lightweight plastic pedals. So I'm getting a sense of why the A-line is so light! Missing parts and plastic parts!
Old 06-10-22, 12:15 AM
childcarepro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Review?

mlau , if you could do a review of the A-line, that would be wonderful and help others decide between it and a C-line!

The A-line seems a solid choice for those looking for a basic lightweight Brompton. It also happens to be a great choice for people (like me) interested in swapping out parts to save weight, since you save money on the A-line by getting older Brompton parts. If I'm getting rid of most parts, why pay extra for newer parts? Also interesting how little weight the older parts add vs a C-line's newer components.

My other thought for my use case was a C-line Urban (2-speed derailleur) and upgrade to 4-speed derailleur, but it costs $505 more, weighs 1.7 lb more, and only comes in black. Considering I could possibly sell the 16" rear wheel for $200-250, that brings my cost on the A-line to $750 $800-850. Pretty unbeatable, actually!

Last edited by childcarepro; 06-10-22 at 05:52 PM. Reason: My math was wrong
Old 06-10-22, 12:37 PM
mlau

Originally Posted by childcarepro
Did you get a Brompton or aftermarket front luggage block ? I was going to get a lightweight aluminum luggage block to save weight, but looks like the Brompton is already not that heavy because it's plastic. Was also going to get ultralight folding pedals, but you state the A line already has lightweight plastic pedals. So I'm getting a sense of why the A-line is so light! Missing parts and plastic parts!
I bought the front block from brompton
Likes For mlau:
Old 06-10-22, 02:28 PM
mlau

mlau , if you could do a review of the A-line, that would be wonderful and help others decide between it and a C-line!

The A-line seems a solid choice for those looking for a basic lightweight Brompton. It also happens to be a great choice for people (like me) interested in swapping out parts to save weight, since you save money on the A-line by getting older Brompton parts. If I'm getting rid of most parts, why pay extra for newer parts? Also interesting how little weight the older parts add vs a C-line's newer components.

My other thought for my use case was a C-line Urban (2-speed derailleur) and upgrade to 4-speed derailleur, but it costs $505 more, weighs 1.7 lb more, and only comes in black. Considering I could possibly sell the 16" rear wheel for $200-250, that brings my cost on the A-line to $750. Pretty unbeatable, actually!

I'll try to give it a ride this weekend, and do a writeup.
On my end, I'm trying to figure out why it feels so much lighter than most of Brompton's other bikes....the fenders aren't all that heavy. I don't think a Brooks is all that heavy either? Not really sure why.
One huge benefit IMO is that there's slightly more handlebar real estate.

Btw, what would your replacement wheel be?
Old 06-10-22, 06:02 PM
childcarepro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll try to give it a ride this weekend, and do a writeup.
On my end, I'm trying to figure out why it feels so much lighter than most of Brompton's other bikes....the fenders aren't all that heavy. I don't think a Brooks is all that heavy either? Not really sure why.
One huge benefit IMO is that there's slightly more handlebar real estate.

Btw, what would your replacement wheel be?
Thanks, that would be helpful!

More handlebar real estate than what?

I’m planning to get a set of Silverock alloy wheels: “SILVEROCK Bike 349 Wheelset 1-3 Speed 16 x1 3/8" U Brake Jump Hole for Brompton 3sixty 360 Folding Bicycle Ultralight Wheels” from AliExpress w/ 14 holes front and 21 holes rear for 800 g total. I read that stock Brompton wheels weigh 650g, so should save 500 g on the set. Of course the front wheel won’t work with the Swytch, so I’m hoping improved gearing, efficiency, and lower rolling resistance will obviate the Swytch altogether.

Last edited by childcarepro; 06-10-22 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Updated facts
Old 06-11-22, 05:53 PM
childcarepro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How Does She Climb?

Hey mlau, I hope you’re out there riding your fiancée’s A line right now!

If you can, I’m particularly interested in how the A line climbs with the BWR internal gear hub. Our Townie i7 does not climb well at all. 3rd gear was a good starting gear on the flats, but even in 1st, it was pretty bad at climbing.

And for cruising, how does the A line do without working hard? Our Townie i7 cruises easily at 10 mph in 5th, but it’s hard to get much past 10 mph in 6th or 7th because of road + wind drag, and possibly transmission losses?
Old 06-13-22, 08:45 PM
mlau

If you can, I’m particularly interested in how the A line climbs with the BWR internal gear hub. Our Townie i7 does not climb well at all. 3rd gear was a good starting gear on the flats, but even in 1st, it was pretty bad at climbing.

And for cruising, how does the A line do without working hard? Our Townie i7 cruises easily at 10 mph in 5th, but it’s hard to get much past 10 mph in 6th or 7th because of road + wind drag, and possibly transmission losses?

Just hopped on her bike:
Good: The 3speed sturmer archer rolls quite nicely! Each of the speeds quite useful. The bike is quite zippy and light feeling. I actually like the plastic throwaway pedal on the nonfolding side. Hub gear is great for stoplights, as you can downshift/upshift without moving....I would recommend keeping this if you plan on a switch kit. Space for a better bell (I like brass crane bells).
Bad:. The stock grips suck...pretty much anything is nicer. The stock seat clamp massively sucks....I'm getting a pentaclip. The stock seat is moderately uncomfortable...very much looking forward to popping on the Brooks b17.

Neutral:. no rack (personally, I like no rack, but it's a subjective thing). no fenders. old style shifter works...but isn't elegant, or as easy to use as the modern style. Very upright....which is comfy around town, but not aerodynamic at all.

Can't comment:. Alameda is quite flat. I can't comment on climbing ability.

Nonsequitor:. the saddle shifted soooo much on me. But my fiance didn't experience any of that. Probably because I have much bigger butt.

In essence, I see the A line as a fantastic platform to mod to your desire. Much of the stock accessories aren't that great (seat, grips, pedals, reflectors, seat clamp).

I'm glad that I bought the A line....even though it's turning more into an upgraded C line (at about $600 less, even with upgrades, Brooks saddle, fenders, Brompton lights, grips, carrier block, etc).

The A line strips off everything unnecessary from a Brompton, and distills it to it's purest/cheapest form.

-Matt
ps. waiting on the pentaclip to finish this bike.

pps. Note that I'm coming from a used, but *fully* loaded m6r (titanium seatpost, pentaclip, Brooks b17, ergon gp3, SON dynamo hub with fancy German lights).

In some ways, I like her bike more....which is quite the compliment.
Likes For mlau:
Old 06-13-22, 08:49 PM
mlau

can't comment on climbing.

As for cruising, it's hard to get past 12-15 mph IMHO. This bike is very non aerodynamic. That being said, the hubs freewheel nicely and smoothly.

For low speed cruising, this was quite pleasurable.

Note that your swytch kit will introduce significant resistance when power is off. (for me, worth it, since I'm a lazy guy. I hate fighting against the wind, especially on a Brompton)
Old 06-14-22, 02:06 AM
childcarepro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just hopped on her bike:
Good: The 3speed sturmer archer rolls quite nicely! Each of the speeds quite useful. The bike is quite zippy and light feeling. I actually like the plastic throwaway pedal on the nonfolding side. Hub gear is great for stoplights, as you can downshift/upshift without moving....I would recommend keeping this if you plan on a switch kit. Space for a better bell (I like brass crane bells).
Bad:. The stock grips suck...pretty much anything is nicer. The stock seat clamp massively sucks....I'm getting a pentaclip. The stock seat is moderately uncomfortable...very much looking forward to popping on the Brooks b17.

Neutral:. no rack (personally, I like no rack, but it's a subjective thing). no fenders. old style shifter works...but isn't elegant, or as easy to use as the modern style. Very upright....which is comfy around town, but not aerodynamic at all.

Can't comment:. Alameda is quite flat. I can't comment on climbing ability.

Nonsequitor:. the saddle shifted soooo much on me. But my fiance didn't experience any of that. Probably because I have much bigger butt.

In essence, I see the A line as a fantastic platform to mod to your desire. Much of the stock accessories aren't that great (seat, grips, pedals, reflectors, seat clamp).

I'm glad that I bought the A line....even though it's turning more into an upgraded C line (at about $600 less, even with upgrades, Brooks saddle, fenders, Brompton lights, grips, carrier block, etc).

The A line strips off everything unnecessary from a Brompton, and distills it to it's purest/cheapest form.

-Matt
ps. waiting on the pentaclip to finish this bike.

pps. Note that I'm coming from a used, but *fully* loaded m6r (titanium seatpost, pentaclip, Brooks b17, ergon gp3, SON dynamo hub with fancy German lights).

In some ways, I like her bike more....which is quite the compliment.
Thanks for the detailed writeup! I'm highly encouraged by your assessment, especially given that it compares favorably to your M6R.

I'm thinking I should try it out before I order any major mods (other than grips and titanium seat post and handlebar) in case I find it more functional as is than our Electra Townie Balloon i7's !

can't comment on climbing.

As for cruising, it's hard to get past 12-15 mph IMHO. This bike is very non aerodynamic. That being said, the hubs freewheel nicely and smoothly.

For low speed cruising, this was quite pleasurable.

Note that your swytch kit will introduce significant resistance when power is off. (for me, worth it, since I'm a lazy guy. I hate fighting against the wind, especially on a Brompton)
Bummer about the resistance on the Swytch… are you sure it's not your dynamo? or the combination? YouTube reviews say it doesn't have a lot of resistance/friction when off.

WRT the Swytch kits, I already paid $550 x 2 kits when I preordered, so I upgraded to Brompton kits for another $150 (+ $99 LCD display & $29 rear light). I'll see how the A line rides/climbs out of the box, and see if I feel we really need the Swytch kits. I lean toward yes, only because even with very low gears and a dual chainring, prolonged hills would be no fun for a leisure ride and a non-starter for any kind of commuting d/t arriving sweaty. YouTube reviews show that for steep hills, so we might still need reduced gearing even with the Swytch kit.

Adding the Swytch Air would add 4.5 lbs to the front wheel (per DrJames on YouTube, 2629 g for new motor + wheel, less 568 g for stock wheel), plus the 700g Air battery (vs Swytch Pro 7Ah @2.08 kg), for 2761 g (6 lb) added weight. Swytch Air + A-line = 29.2 lbs, which is 8 lb lighter than our Townie 7i's, but will feel like a ton of bricks d/t its mass to volume ratio when folded.

Incidentally, re: weight changes of adding Swytch motor + Silverock wheels – Sturmey-Archer:
• add the Swytch Air front wheel to stock: +2.63 kg
• remove stock front wheel: -0.57 kg
• remove Sturmey-Archer + stock wheel: -2.3 kg
• add Silverock 3-speed 21H alloy wheel: +0.56 kg
• add Swytch Air battery: +0.70 kg
NET: +330g + Stock: 23.1 lb = 25.4 lb

Looks like a 20-lb Brompton electric is within reach! Just need to find 2500 g to lose.
Titanium front fork: –275g
Titanium rear triangle: –350g
Titanium stem: –288g
Titanium handlebar: -131g
Titanium seat post: –170g
TOTAL: –1214 g

Halfway there!
Old 06-14-22, 09:59 AM
mlau

Thanks for the detailed writeup! I'm highly encouraged by your assessment, especially given that it compares favorably to your M6R.

I'm thinking I should try it out before I order any major mods (other than grips and titanium seat post and handlebar) in case I find it more functional as is than our Electra Townie Balloon i7's !

Bummer about the resistance on the Swytch… are you sure it's not your dynamo? or the combination? YouTube reviews say it doesn't have a lot of resistance/friction when off.

WRT the Swytch kits, I already paid $550 x 2 kits when I preordered, so I upgraded to Brompton kits for another $150 (+ $99 LCD display & $29 rear light). I'll see how the A line rides/climbs out of the box, and see if I feel we really need the Swytch kits. I lean toward yes, only because even with very low gears and a dual chainring, prolonged hills would be no fun for a leisure ride and a non-starter for any kind of commuting d/t arriving sweaty. YouTube reviews show that for steep hills, so we might still need reduced gearing even with the Swytch kit.

Adding the Swytch Air would add 4.5 lbs to the front wheel (per DrJames on YouTube, 2629 g for new motor + wheel, less 568 g for stock wheel), plus the 700g Air battery (vs Swytch Pro 7Ah @2.08 kg), for 2761 g (6 lb) added weight. Swytch Air + A-line = 29.2 lbs, which is 8 lb lighter than our Townie 7i's, but will feel like a ton of bricks d/t its mass to volume ratio when folded.

Incidentally, re: weight changes of adding Swytch motor + Silverock wheels – Sturmey-Archer:

Looks like a 20-lb Brompton electric is within reach! Just need to find 2500 g to lose.

Halfway there!

FWIW, my M6R was bought secondhand off ebay from a lady that did a world tour.
I'd dropped it off to a local shop to unsatisfactory results (the rear hub stopped working after they dicked with it).
I replaced the rear wheel myself...which felt pretty great. And my bike worked again.

I think that my front shifter needs adjusting, and my rear hub needs to be repacked with grease.
My Brompton is probably due for an overhaul.

On a side note, I'm thinking of buying a Swytch kit for my fiance's bike. However, I'm not sure what option to get....air or max?
Old 06-14-22, 10:02 AM
mlau

Halfway there!

Have you thought of copying Raxel? I dunno the guy personally, but his builds were genious.
FWIW, I don't think that an ebike makes sense with a lightweight build.
I like the Brompton ebike because it's super quick for acceleration, stable at low speeds/city riding, and very comfortably upright (I bend over all day).

IMO, a lightweight build highlights the joy of the ride...the interface between you and the road....with minimal interruptions.
Old 06-14-22, 10:53 AM
childcarepro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you thought of copying Raxel? I dunno the guy personally, but his builds were genious.
FWIW, I don't think that an ebike makes sense with a lightweight build.
I like the Brompton ebike because it's super quick for acceleration, stable at low speeds/city riding, and very comfortably upright (I bend over all day).

IMO, a lightweight build highlights the joy of the ride...the interface between you and the road....with minimal interruptions.
Yeah, I did. But then I realized I don't know the first thing about building bikes, so I should probably start with a complete, working bike and replace parts rather than starting from scratch. To start with, there's a bewildering array of options for every part. This is the first thing that made me realize I was in over my head!

Edit: Once I got past all the major parts (main frame, front fork, rear triangle, stem, handlebar, seat post), then I came face to face with the myriad other parts with myriad different options. YIKES.

Last edited by childcarepro; 06-14-22 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Forgot…
Old 06-14-22, 10:58 AM
mlau

Yeah, I did. But then I realized I don't know the first thing about building bikes, so I should probably start with a complete, working bike and replace parts rather than starting from scratch. To start with, there's a bewildering array of options for every part. This is the first thing that made me realize I was in over my head!

Edit: Once I got past all the major parts (main frame, front fork, rear triangle, stem, handlebar, seat post), then I came face to face with the myriad other parts with myriad different options. YIKES.

I think we're in the same boat.

I'd recommend trying the A-line as is first. It's actually a pretty nice bike!
Also, the main frame of the Brompton is supposed to be the key (as a number of bike forumites were steering me away from the EasyTi main frame due to noodliness).
Old 06-14-22, 11:01 AM
mlau

Front fender added. It was pretty straightworward! Brooks leather saddle added using stock seatpost clamp. Stiffer initially on the butt, but less tingling. However, my gearwrench wrench failed. Urgh

I'm hoping the install the rear fender tonight. Just need to get to the hardware store for the bolts/nuts/washers to finish this project (for now).
Likes For mlau:
Old 06-14-22, 10:15 PM
mlau

So very close! Alas, the wrong sized m5 screws I bought at the hardware store. After the rear fender is installed, I'm almost done. Does anyone have a recommendation for an Eazy wheel? I measured the roller wheels, and these are 44.8 mm in diameter.
Old 06-16-22, 12:08 PM
mlau

Hardware store didn't have enough m5 screws at 18 mm (only had one in the entire store).
I ordered some off Amazon (probably should have done that to begin with, as a huge set costs only twice much as 4 washers/2 nuts/2 m5 15 mm screws/2friction washers.
Also, Eazywheels coming in today.

Excited to finish this project (finally finishing a project for once!)
So far, this has been a pretty straightforward, and fun project.

Next, will be an e-bike conversion with the Swytch kit on this bike.
Sometime, I'll do a breakdown of my costs (not including tax)
Likes For mlau:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.