Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Can my Endurance bike replace my gravel bike?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 01-21-23, 03:21 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I'm fortunate enough to have a first world problem. During 2016 and 2018 I acquired a pro-level road bike with 700x25 tires, a serious disc-brake gravel bike that can fit 700x40 tires and a disc-brake Endurance bike that can fit all 700x32 tires and some 700x33 tires.

I need to cull the herd. When I purchased the Raleigh Roker gravel bike, I was completing serious Gravel rides in the Ozarks, including the Cuba gravel crisis. These events required 700x35 tires or larger, due to the soft & unstable round, river-bed gravel that was often rutted by vehicles.

I now live along the Illinois/Wisconsin border and only ride firm gravel paths. I still like the control and stability of the gravel bike, but the Endurace bike on 700x32 slicks seems to be sufficient for the gravel rails-to-trails I'm currently riding.

Will I regret not having a serious gravel bike with larger tires? I might also sell the Endurance bike and have to choose between the road bike or the gravel bike depending on the route, but I’ll have to ride either pavement or gravel but not both on any given day.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-21-23 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-21-23, 03:55 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
...Will I regret not having a serious gravel bike with larger tires?
Yes, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
Old 01-21-23, 03:58 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by tyrion
Yes, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
Yes, if a bike fits well and performs as expected, I always regret selling ;-)
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 01-21-23, 04:13 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
Keep the gravel, put 28's or so on the endurance and use it as your primary road. If the wheels swap between the endurance and gravel, take the gravel on vacation with the extra wheels with narrower tires.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-21-23, 04:17 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Sell the gravel bike. It sounds like you will never need it.

I’ve sold many bikes and have few regrets.
Old 01-21-23, 04:22 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Keep the gravel, put 28's or so on the endurance and use it as your primary road. If the wheels swap between the endurance and gravel, take the gravel on vacation with the extra wheels with narrower tires.
Interesting! In other words, "sell the skinny tire road bike"!

Yes the Endurace bike is as fast as the road bike on most pavement and faster than the road bike if the pavement is less than perfectly smooth or it's a century ride. The gravel bike with road bike tires won't be as fast as my other bikes, but still useful enough.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-21-23 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-21-23, 08:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
I thought you moved to Italy.

If a 32mm tire is all you now need and you don't think you will want anything wider in the future, then keep the bike that fits best and sell the other.

If the gravel bike fits best, throw some 32 gp5k tires on that.
If the canyon bike fits best, then sell the Raleigh.
Old 01-22-23, 07:25 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Interesting! In other words, "sell the skinny tire road bike"!

Yes the Endurace bike is as fast as the road bike on most pavement and faster than the road bike if the pavement is less than perfectly smooth or it's a century ride. The gravel bike with road bike tires won't be as fast as my other bikes, but still useful enough.
I misread your original post and thought you had only a gravel and endurance bike.. with three bikes I would sell two, just keep the endurance bike. I’m an N-1 convert, I sold my race and mountain bikes and only have one bike now, an endurance bike. I have a separate set of wheels with gravel type tires on it for the occasional gravel ride (I never do MTB any more, too many injuries). You could start by selling the road bike and then see down the road where to go from there.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 01-22-23, 08:11 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
My thinking would be: keep the gravel bike and sell one of the other two. I ride my gravel bike with 700x38 tires mostly on paved roads and it's a good road bike. It's also a capable off-road bike. So keep the versatile gravel bike and keep one of the other two as your road bike. (I'd probably keep all three, but if I was to get rid of one, it would not be the gravel bike.)
Old 01-22-23, 09:59 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
You mentioned riding the endurance and gravel bike at your current home, but left out the skinny tire road bike. Therefore sell the skinny tire road bike and go from there.
Old 01-23-23, 04:49 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 173 Posts
I'd keep the gravel with 2 sets of wheel and get raid of the endurance bike as gravel i likely to be suitable for endurance while endurance is not. basically keep the 2 extreme bikes.
Old 01-23-23, 09:43 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to have a first world problem. During 2016 and 2018 I acquired a pro-level road bike with 700x25 tires, a serious disc-brake gravel bike that can fit 700x40 tires and a disc-brake Endurance bike that can fit all 700x32 tires and some 700x33 tires.

I need to cull the herd. When I purchased the Raleigh Roker gravel bike, I was completing serious Gravel rides in the Ozarks, including the Cuba gravel crisis. These events required 700x35 tires or larger, due to the soft & unstable round, river-bed gravel that was often rutted by vehicles.

I now live along the Illinois/Wisconsin border and only ride firm gravel paths. I still like the control and stability of the gravel bike, but the Endurace bike on 700x32 slicks seems to be sufficient for the gravel rails-to-trails I'm currently riding.

Will I regret not having a serious gravel bike with larger tires? I might also sell the Endurance bike and have to choose between the road bike or the gravel bike depending on the route, but I’ll have to ride either pavement or gravel but not both on any given day.
I think you answered your own question, but yes for smooth/firm gravel paths and roads around Northern Illinois and So. Wisconsin anything more than 32-33mm tires is overkill for most situations, especially the rails-to-trails paths that are pretty hard packed crushed stone. I ride those on 28mm road tires sometimes. I know some people who run 35s around here, but that's mostly just a comfort factor, and not for any added capability.

I don't know the specifics of the Endurace - but for me I'd be happy on any drop bar bike that could fit 33mm CX tires as the "maximum" for local riding.
Old 01-23-23, 09:48 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Here's an example of 35mm Gravel King SK's on a Canyon Endurace, plus a few others. These look pretty tight, but might work:
FYI: Canyon Endurace can fit 700x35's on 20mm wide rims | Mountain Bike Reviews Forum (mtbr.com)
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-23-23, 02:42 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Here's an example of 35mm Gravel King SK's on a Canyon Endurace, plus a few others. These look pretty tight, but might work:
FYI: Canyon Endurace can fit 700x35's on 20mm wide rims | Mountain Bike Reviews Forum (mtbr.com)
Very interesting, thanks for adding your post. Both Gravel bike and the skinny-tire Road Bike are looking less important and not needed.
Old 01-23-23, 07:42 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Very interesting, thanks for adding your post. Both Gravel bike and the skinny-tire Road Bike are looking less important and not needed.
In view of your new signature, I am curious as to why you want to cull the herd to begin with. No matter which wheels and tires fit which frame, it is imperative to have at least two bikes: one to ride, and one to tinker with.
Old 01-24-23, 08:35 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Gold.
Old 03-18-23, 12:23 PM
Robert7659
Getoutofmyway

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I have an endurance bike and a gravel bike. With lowered handlebars it’s hard to distinguish the gravel from the endurance. The gravel bike is more versatile overall (broader choice of tire widths, more useful lower gears, higher handlebar possible). But the endurance bike is a little more nervy and exciting. I’m glad I have both.
Old 03-18-23, 12:51 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I thought you moved to Italy.
Lake Geneva is on the border between Wisconsin and Switzerland.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-18-23, 10:55 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
It certainly sounds like you can get away with having just the endurance bike for now.

But if it were me and I had to pick 2 out of 3, I'd keep the roadie and the gravel. The roadie for going fast and just enjoying the speed on smooth tarmac. The gravel for anything off-tarmac; you can always throw on 33mm tires on there if you think 40mm is overkill.
Old 03-19-23, 01:09 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
How big of a tire will you endurance bike clear.

I am down to one bike for pavement and gravel: A Soma Fog Cutter. Basically and Endurance Road bike that will clear 42mm tires. I run slick 38s. Slick 35s also work well for everything for me.