Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1974 Legnano

Old 01-31-23, 07:18 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 394 Posts
1974 Legnano

A childhood friend bought this new in 1974; since then, he has "gone carbon" and has no need, nor wants, a vintage steel bike -- so it has been sitting in a basement for years. This Legnano came all-Campy except the brakes (I seem to think Universal, but I am waiting for a confirming photo). Size is, I think, 63cm (again, awaiting confirmation). Condition is a bit more rough than I feared -- see photos. Originally the metallic slime-green, some idiot (yeah, it was me) repainted it in lime green Iron sometime in the 1980's. The front wheel has quite a few broken spokes; he is wondering if it economically worthwhile to have the front wheel re-done professionally prior to sale. To my eye, too nice to become a "parts bike" but restoration would be a significant project... attractive to a Legnano enthusiast? So, as the sub-forum says: "What's it worth?"

Old 01-31-23, 07:22 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Any idea what tubing was used? That might make a little difference to someone potentially restoring it.
Old 01-31-23, 10:04 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Any idea what tubing was used? That might make a little difference to someone potentially restoring it.
No clue, I hope someone who speaks fluent Legnano knows what was used that year. But it makes sense to ask the owner to eyeball the seat post for a size... if 27.2 that should be good news.

Old 01-31-23, 10:13 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
It rarely makes economical sense to have a bike shop do work on a bike to prepare for sale. And this one it would not make sense. With that many broken spokes, it really needs all of them replaced.

Highest return would be as parts, as long as you have the tools to strip it down. Stripping a bike for parts is about a 1 hour job. Clean up would be another hour, say a third hour to create listings to sell on ebay.

Sold locally in my market in current as is condition? Maybe $250 as it has some obvious issues. I'd probably be the only buyer. The buyer would either put a lot of time and $$ into restoration, or part it out as described above.

The lack of original paint is a HUGE negative as far as restoration projects go. Its not just original paint, its the original decals too. Once gone, it will never be original obviously. Stem is surely NOT original either.

My interest in projects to restore starts with original paint and decals and RUST. I am fine with "patina". In fact, many of my recent projects are in the massive patina category, like this Frejus I picked up. I cleaned and polished paint, and treated all rust.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-31-23 at 10:17 AM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 01-31-23, 11:43 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26249 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
...to my eye, it looks like one of those project bikes that will cost a great deal of money and effort to accomplish, with little hope of any return other than the joys of ownership and riding it. I repeatedly paid too much for those, back when I was still doing big laborious projects, but I'm not sure how your friend will discover some local guy as dumb as me.

I have one of them made from Reynolds tubing ( which was an extra charge option), and one made from whatever was standard for the brand (Falck maybe ?) Youur example., if from 1972, is toward the end of production., but I'm unsure if that changes anything.

Hard to set a value, because it has a lot of problems that will make it harder to sell to anyone except an aficionado with some money to burn. I agree that your friend should spend no money on it, as that will be wasted in terms of resale value.
Old 01-31-23, 11:47 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Nice bike as it sits it basically needs a wheel set with tires as well as the spokes i see a couple of dings and significant brake wear. Assuming the frame is strait and good with quality tubing I would say $300 or so as to the right buyer it's a pretty tall bike with a fairly short wheelbase and top line which limits potential buyers.
Old 01-31-23, 12:22 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I would part that one out in a heartbeat. Dreadful color, but someone out there will want that frame.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-31-23, 04:40 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
I agree with zukahn1 that ~$300 would be a good deal ("friend") price for someone who is willing to invest the time to restore the bicycle.

I agree with SurferRosa about a part-out: the components sold separately would increase the potential financial return.

If you have a "before" photo of the frame in original paint and decals it will help with the sale.

Lacking the signature seat tube lug, some might question the identification of this frame as a Legnano.

ohoto credit: https://condorino.com/2016/09/12/leg...r-bolt-design/
Likes For cyclophilia:
Old 02-02-23, 11:09 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 101 Posts
Is there a serial number stamped into the underside of the bottom bracket?
If it has the letter R in it, it’s a Reynolds frame. At least that’s how it is for the one I have, but it’s earlier than yours. Serial numbers were done away with by the mid ‘70’s, according to Mark Campbell of the Condorino website.
The fact that it has Campagnolo dropouts would indicate it’s an upper level frame.

https://condorino.com/legnano-serial-numbers/
Old 02-02-23, 11:10 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 85 Posts
I'd value the frame under $50. We price most bike frames at $20 at our local bike coop. Some get priced higher, like any 531 frame or a real BMX frame. The parts are worth more if one takes the time to clean them properly.

Old wheels are practically free so replacing the front wheel is worth it.

It looks like someone cut the spokes on purpose so the rim is probably okay. 8 or 10 spokes, easy to replace and true up yourself. Only tools need are tire levers and a $6 spoke wrench.

My sister in law gave me her 1971 Gitane Tour De France that was repainted and rebuilt in 1977. Campy ders, Stronglight crank, Tipo hubs, Ideal seat, Dura Ace headset. It's getting parted out. The frame will most likely go to the local coop, marked at $40 (the fork steerer is a bit lumpy). I saw a nearly identical frame with original paint that didn't sell for $95 at the Madison swap meet last week.

As stated above: Repaint destroys value. Is the bike even a Legnano? Anyone can put any decal on any bike.

If you have developed any artistic paint skills, consider some special paint job instead of trying to go original. Maybe some kids can help with that. Make it a family project.

Last edited by rickpaulos; 02-02-23 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-27-23, 08:14 AM
tiger1964 

UPDATE: Sorry, it is not going on the market. Over the weekend, I went over and took measurements to help with the sale. He's taller than I am, so I presumed at least a 25" frame. Lo and behold -- 24" ST, 22-7/8" TT. Just my size! So, he's giving it to me, I'll restore, maybe over the winter. My childhood friends all turned 18 in 1974 and got better bikes including this one, it looks like I'll be doing some restorations in time for a "Golden Anniversary" ride next summer; most of the bikes are still around, languishing in garages.

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
. ...to my eye, it looks like one of those project bikes that will cost a great deal of money and effort to accomplish, with little hope of any return other than the joys of ownership and riding it. I repeatedly paid too much for those, back when I was still doing big laborious projects, but I'm not sure how your friend will discover some local guy as dumb as me.
See above, he DID find someone as dumb. IIRC, it was originally on tubulars, and he had wheels made or replaced for 27's... it will probably go back.

Originally Posted by satbuilder
Is there a serial number stamped into the underside of the bottom bracket? If it has the letter R in it, it’s a Reynolds frame. At least that’s how it is for the one I have, but it’s earlier than yours. Serial numbers were done away with by the mid ‘70’s, according to Mark Campbell of the Condorino website.
The fact that it has Campagnolo dropouts would indicate it’s an upper level frame. https://condorino.com/legnano-serial-numbers/
Thanks! I really need to learn to record serial #'s. The Reynolds thing is important so I get the correct decal.

Originally Posted by rickpaulos
It looks like someone cut the spokes on purpose so the rim is probably okay. As stated above: Repaint destroys value. Is the bike even a Legnano? Anyone can put any decal on any bike.
He claims something took out all those spokes. Anyway, it's a Legnano, I've known the bike since the day he bought it (I worked at the shop). Of course anyone else might doubt it. He took far to many pictures of us on rides when young, plenty pictures of the Legnano but probably not enough detail. Some jacka** sprayed the lime green Iron on the frame in the later 1980's which ruined it -- yeah, it was me.

Anyway, there will be a "build thread" -- eventually. Thanks for looking! Maybe a moderator might even more the topic to regular C&V.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 02-27-23, 08:31 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
Maybe a moderator might even move the topic to regular C&V.
I suggest leaving this thread here and starting a new thread in reggly C&V.

I also suggest repainting your Legnano back to the original color.

Old 02-27-23, 10:54 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 101 Posts
Legnano Lizard Yellow: This came from a Moto Guzzi site, but the color miz is pretty much the same. Silver base with tinted yellow clearcoat.
Likes For satbuilder:
Old 02-28-23, 06:47 AM
tiger1964 

Thanks, I need to file this somewhere where I won't lose it, and I'll need to find a painter that can handle this. I tried painting myself before (like I said, the lime Iron on the bike was my work, hanging up in the back yard so no spray booth).

Originally Posted by satbuilder
Legnano Lizard Yellow: This came from a Moto Guzzi site, but the color miz is pretty much the same. Silver base with tinted yellow clearcoat.

Old 02-28-23, 07:56 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Perhaps worth $300 on a good day - my valuation, based upon the component group.

DD
Old 02-28-23, 11:35 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Perhaps worth $300 on a good day - my valuation, based upon the component group.
Considering the condition, I suspect you might be a bit generous there.

Now that it's going to be part of my stable, it's likely I'll spend far more than that to "get it right". Can the chrome be saved? If not, the chrome shop will get $$$ from me; paint is another chunk, I doubt I can paint it myself. Well, we'll see, likely a "build thread" over the winter.