Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What have you found on the ground while riding?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What have you found on the ground while riding?

Old 01-30-23, 04:19 PM
galcyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Roadside stuff

I have found multiple wallets or strewn ID and even a purse I find them after the criminal has done his work. Too I found a nice Leatherman tool. Lastly, I found a corpse. I was riding a 40-miler and had stopped in the desert to answer nature's call. As I climbed down in a culvert, I found someone. I did flag the fire department, and I later read that the guy had a dime on him and may have died of heatstroke. (We get some heat in the Desert Southwest.) I was a bit introspective after that for a while. I had been in a particularly low point emotionally and felt a little guilt that it wasn't me. I suppose it was a form of survivor's guilt. I haven't found another corpse yet.
Old 01-30-23, 04:21 PM
galcyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Roadside stuff

I have found multiple wallets or strewn ID and even a purse I find them after the criminal has done his work. Too I found a nice Leatherman tool. Lastly, I found a corpse. I was riding a 40-miler and had stopped in the desert to answer nature's call. As I climbed down in a culvert, I found someone. I did flag the fire department, and I later read that the guy had a dime on him and may have died of heatstroke. (We get some heat in the Desert Southwest.) I was a bit introspective after that for a while. I had been in a particularly low point emotionally and felt a little guilt that it wasn't me. I suppose it was a form of survivor's guilt. I haven't found another corpse yet.
Likes For galcyclist:
Old 01-31-23, 07:51 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,622 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
In Yurp the yahoos throw share bikes in the canals but in Phoenix that's the best they can find
Used to see the share bikes in the canals. The share bike programs have disappeared around here. Now the popular rentals are E-bikes.
Old 02-06-23, 07:59 AM
locolobo13 

Along the Cave Creek Wash Trail in Phx

Old 02-06-23, 08:34 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 199 Posts
I saw a guy where I live using a large magnet tied to a rope and throwing it into one of our rivers, and he had a couple cheap Walmart bikes on the ground near where he was "fishing". They weren't worth more than scrap value, so not sure how much money he earned doing that.
Old 02-07-23, 07:58 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
how gruesome. let's hope it was for a beloved pet
Old 02-07-23, 08:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by galcyclist
friends of mine has a nice condo in Dorchester, MA but after coming across a corpse, on a sidewalk, near their home, they moved
Old 02-07-23, 08:32 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Found a nice needle nose pliers last week, even if I had to give up some speed at the beginning of a hill to turn around and pick it up.

Needed that to fit a wire around a terminal of my new water heater thermostat this weekend, so I guess that was a good thing.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 02-13-23, 09:44 AM
truthseeker14

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Bridgestone T-700 (1985)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 15 Posts
I spied it on the ground, stopped, reached down and excitedly and hurriedly put it in my pocket, and when I got home, pulled it out and looked closely at it. What a let down!
Likes For truthseeker14:
Old 02-13-23, 11:25 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
that's interesting! That's a fun find -- not $100 worth of fun, but cool nonetheless!
Old 02-14-23, 09:44 AM
truthseeker14

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Bridgestone T-700 (1985)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
that's interesting! That's a fun find -- not $100 worth of fun, but cool nonetheless!
Agreed. Actually I found the fake 100 a number of years ago. If it was real, i would have spent it by now on things that would have since been forgotten, but since it was fake, it makes for a better story, one that i've told dozens and dozens of times, and one that invites commissary rather than envy. It's a gift that keeps on giving.
Likes For truthseeker14:
Old 02-14-23, 07:51 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I tried to find "Beaumont A. Patterson" (the treasurer signature) on Google just now and struck out. I thought it might at least turn up an IMDB link. Can't make out the Secretary signature. Edward P Jsomething?

The fake hundreds on Amazon (naturally) all seem to have the same (different than this) signature. Not all of them say "Motion Picture" and not in all the places

Timothy Geithner
Rosa Gumataotao Rios
real people

Jacob Lew, Rosa again
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-14-23 at 07:57 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-15-23, 06:44 PM
clayton c

Bikes: touring bikes

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I tried to find "Beaumont A. Patterson" (the treasurer signature) on Google just now and struck out. I thought it might at least turn up an IMDB link. Can't make out the Secretary signature. Edward P Jsomething?

The fake hundreds on Amazon (naturally) all seem to have the same (different than this) signature. Not all of them say "Motion Picture" and not in all the places

Timothy Geithner
Rosa Gumataotao Rios
real people

Jacob Lew, Rosa again
I found a fake $100 a while back, kind of disappointed until I rode by a Portapotty. I dropped that bill right in the middle of a pile, wondering who went after it.
Old 02-20-23, 06:23 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Poor fishie.

Old 02-21-23, 04:46 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Poor fishie.

At least Dory has been found.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 02-21-23, 05:33 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
At least Dory has been found.
That is her, isn't it? I saw Finding Nemo in the theater when it first came out. I've never laughed that hard in public before or since, and it's all Ellen DeGeneres's fault. The entire audience was laughing their butts off. R.I.P. Dory.
Old 02-21-23, 05:34 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
"Don't worry, I speak Whale..."
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 02-25-23, 06:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
So, did this increase your speed after you picked it up?

...I'll show myself out...
Long call back I know. I had some fun a few years ago buying one when my twins were toddlers. I asked the guy ahead of me in line what it was. "Speed square." I asked my 2yos. "It's a triangle you silly!"

Edit: I told the same story right after upthread and didn't notice before posting this. Getting old already at 45
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-27-23 at 08:23 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-26-23, 01:51 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 1,767 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
Where is that? I don't recall passing, er, seeing it.
Old 02-26-23, 01:56 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

(making note not to be found by galcyclist )

Only time I've ever gotten full-on heatstroke was climbing Yarnell Hill on a fully-loaded touring bike in June 1994 with a tailwind that exactly matched my speed. Oh, how I longed for a culvert to hide in to cool off - none on that hill. Left Congress with 4 full water bottles, a full spray bottle, and half a Big Gulp from Wickenburg, and staggered into Yarnell with half my wits and zero water.
Old 02-26-23, 09:04 PM
galcyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That heatstroke is so scary. I have been lucky to have not had full-blown heatstroke yet, and you are lucky to have survived it. I have had heat exhaustion a few times. the last time that happened, I was able to ride my bicycle, but I was unable to walk. I was weak and lightheaded. I think that the reason that I could ride is because walking may require more coordination than cycing. Both require coordination, but the movements of cycling are more stereotyped.

I notice above that you hadn't mentioned using a hydration system (e.g., a CamelBak) above. I can't imagine riding without one, especially in this Desert Southwest (Las Vegas here.). I won't lecture you too much, but I highly encourage you to use one. You are clearly an experienced cyclist. I once rode to St. George, UT. I took two nights and three days. It was worth it. Bike touring is fun.
Old 02-26-23, 10:44 PM
galcyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Afterthought:

That heatstroke is so scary. I have been lucky to have not had full-blown heatstroke yet, and you are lucky to have survived it. I have had heat exhaustion a few times. the last time that happened, I was able to ride my bicycle, but I was unable to walk. I was weak and lightheaded. I think that the reason that I could ride is because walking may require more coordination than cycing. Both require coordination, but the movements of cycling are more stereotyped.

I notice above that you hadn't mentioned using a hydration system (e.g., a CamelBak) above. I can't imagine riding without one, especially in this Desert Southwest (Las Vegas here.). I won't lecture you too much, but I highly encourage you to use one. You are clearly an experienced cyclist. I once rode to St. George, UT. I took two nights and three days. It was worth it. Bike touring is fun.
I have foun found multiple license plates some valid and some not.. A cop stopped me one day asking me for the plate. which I gave him. It was protruding from my rear pannier so
Old 02-26-23, 11:12 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Even though others in my family like their bladders n' backpacks, I've never been as much of a fan. I like the flexibility of bottles, and like to let the bike carry the weight (albeit minor). On that day, I don't think any added amount of carried water might have helped. The long cold shower at the motel in Yarnell certainly did, though.

For a dozen years, I managed freeway operations and design for I-15 in Arizona (and other northern AZ freeways & highways). I've ridden the Virgin River Gorge and part of old US 91 in the area.

Getting back to the topic: one of the duties I perform on El Tour de Tucson Bike Patrol is to pick up discarded or dropped water bottles along the route. One year I think I had collected a dozen of so by the finish. As none of them seem to ever have any identifying info, they get thoroughly washed and donated to local bike co-ops or given away at bike swaps.
Old 02-27-23, 07:40 AM
locolobo13 

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Where is that? I don't recall passing, er, seeing it.
It was new to me too. Near Werner's Field Park on Grovers Ave.
Old 02-28-23, 08:38 AM
rumrunn6

last night
Likes For rumrunn6:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.