Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Reluctantly Selling

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Reluctantly Selling

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-23, 06:19 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
I've been reducing my bike inventory the last couple years. It's not easy. For me it's getting over the fact that it cost a greater amount to build the bike than I get when I sell it. I try to tell myself that's the cost of a hobby.
+ 1 on this. You just have to be willing to take the loss to move inventory. I'm a catch and release kind of person when it comes to bikes.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 02-07-23, 06:29 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Writenride
Hi, well, I'm reluctantly selling the bulk of my bicycle and bike part collection, but much to my dismay, I'm really having a hard time parting ways with all the parts, frames, wheels, and other components I invested my time/money/effort in. I suppose that's common right? People have been after me for a very long time to sell these parts.

But I'm afraid I've:
1. Ran out of room.
2. Don't ride as much as I used to (but plan on changing that this season [fingers crossed].
3. Time to move on and do something else.

Personally, I want to sell all I got and invest in a new frame set, and I know which one. Still, I'm only one guy. Why do I have so many bicycles {self talking and others, too}?
Because of this, I have a question, how do you usually cope with this and not let your emotions keep you from holding on to your possessions?

Thanks for your help.
I went through a downsize period when I moved in with my girlfriend now fiancee. I went from 8 down to 4 bikes (one of them is hers) and 2 frames. At the same time I decided to invest that money into one of the bikes that I kept (a 2007 Lemond Poprad). I now own the nicest bike I've ever owned. It fits me great, rides amazing and I enjoy it so much. It's purified my cycling hobby down to a single primary bicycle that I enjoy a lot instead of a cluttered collection and mind that was going in 5 different directions at all times. Now I just invest in, maintain, and ride the crap out of my primary bike and I feel the best I have ever felt about my stable. I don't begrudge folks with a large collection at all and I still have that tendency but definitely give the other side a try. There is lightness to be found there and other interests to pursue. Worst case there are always more fun bikes out there if you decide to rebuild the collection once you are able.

Plus you'll get a buncha cash when you sell stuff. That's ALWAYS fun.
Old 02-09-23, 02:36 PM
pnwgopher

Bikes: Serotta Rapid Tour, 89 Paramount, AD Vent Noir, All-City Space Horse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Giraffes always have it harder. I say similar things. Especially in the post bike buying era of 2022. Like a check valve that one doesn't want.

Gets me more in a mood to just sell everything (ok, but not the Trek 720) to fund one "dream build" idea that I have floating around in my head
If you ever do change your mind and get in the mood to sell that 720 frameset, you know who to call!
Likes For pnwgopher:
Old 02-09-23, 03:06 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts

A start.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 02-10-23, 09:47 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
I'm crossing this same bridge right now with a previous interest in collecting old weight plates & bars.

^^^ some of the "smalls" as the Pickers would say
Wow- Jimmy Taylor sold weight sets! I know all those guys had side hustles because pro football didn't pay that great- you always read they sold cars and stuff- Dick Affils, a lineman with the Packers was "Dick the Bruiser" in the offseason and then when he retired from the NFL.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 02-10-23, 11:25 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Wow- Jimmy Taylor sold weight sets! I know all those guys had side hustles because pro football didn't pay that great- you always read they sold cars and stuff- Dick Affils, a lineman with the Packers was "Dick the Bruiser" in the offseason and then when he retired from the NFL.

^^^ And the human zipper Jerry Kramer wrote books. You remember Gimbel's ?

Aside from Jim Taylor selling weights the only other athlete I found from my time collecting old weights was baseball player Ted Kluszewski who was known for his muscles and homers...

Cincinnati Redlegs ??? Interesting ....better dead than red in 1953. Also a lot of background on Kluszewski

https://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/...became-redlegs

Oh lookie there, I just happen to have a photo of both their brands together

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 02-10-23 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-10-23, 11:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Cycling is a hobby- it isnt meant to bring you financial profit. If it does bring you profit every now and then, thats just a side benefit.
If you sell a bike for less than you have in it, is that really a loss?...you should count the time/use/experiences created while using the bike too.

Total hypothetical- if I sell a bike for $200 less than I have in it, but I rode it for 1000 miles over 2 years, that seems quite OK to me.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-10-23, 11:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
I am currently living in Cambodia and the plan is to leave some time next year, late Feb or Mar.
I have built up and given away about 40 bikes over the years. Mostly recycled step thrus from Japan or modified hybrids.
I have cleaned out most of the iron take off junk and most of the rusty scrap.
Now to get the keeper parts and bikes back to Pennsylvania.
Curious- why do you have sheets/blankets on so many bikes, but not all?
Old 02-10-23, 01:43 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,692 Times in 2,611 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Those are the ones still asleep?
Likes For nlerner:
Old 02-10-23, 09:10 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 543 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater

A start.
The red frame in the back looks like something I would drag home.
Old 02-10-23, 09:21 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
The equipment operator at the scrap yard takes an unholy pleasure in crushing bikes. I still bring donuts on major holidays....
Old 02-10-23, 11:42 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Cycling is a hobby- it isnt meant to bring you financial profit. If it does bring you profit every now and then, thats just a side benefit.
If you sell a bike for less than you have in it, is that really a loss?...you should count the time/use/experiences created while using the bike too.

Total hypothetical- if I sell a bike for $200 less than I have in it, but I rode it for 1000 miles over 2 years, that seems quite OK to me.
That has been my attitude. It's a hobby, and thankfully one I've been able to externalize via helping others or volunteering at bike shops. If I make $20 on my monetary expenditure of a build that I sell, that's great. But all the experience, knowledge, time, and therapeutic value that bikes bring makes even a loss palatable. If I break even, I "rented" the bike for free and learned a ton. Big win.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 02-11-23, 02:11 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
Those that are covered are mine and I keep them covered when I am not riding them. Cambodia is soooo dusty.
Old 02-11-23, 02:28 AM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Collecting touches a part of us that I have yet to put into words. What I have come to acknowledge for myself is that it's internal crapola. With all due respect to those that put a higher value on items, they are just that ...... items with a random value based on ...... whatever a group of random people decide. Remember beer cans ? Beanie babies ? Terry Redlin ? Franklin Mint ? Stamps ? The list is endless of items that were once considered gold and are now worthless. Most bikes with downtube shifters will go the way of cars with manual transmissions. Some may scream at that notion, but it's already happening.
I recently told my daughter to ask yourself if something is important enough to worry about on your deathbead. If not, the stress over it isn't worth the effort. If the items make you happy, by all means keep them and stare at them. If they are somehow causing you angst via space or money, sell them and don't look back. I can pretty much guarantee that selling a Dura-Ace derailleur today, won't haunt you in 20 years.

Last edited by sdn40; 02-11-23 at 02:37 AM.
Likes For sdn40:
Old 02-11-23, 11:08 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
I think having always sold and traded cycling items that it would be much easier to downsize. I have a harder time moving on projects that I haven't finished.