Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

First Time Mountain Bike Buyer

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

First Time Mountain Bike Buyer

Old 02-02-23, 04:39 PM
GTBecane

Bikes: 1999 GT Backwoods, 2022 Motobecane expert 29r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
IMO, a significant factor is what the person expects out of the bike, and how they're going to use it. I could ride a $600 MTB on all the same roads and trails as I ride my current XX1/XTR-equipped hardtail. I would go slower, I might need to walk it more, and the parts would probably need to be replaced a lot sooner, but I could make it work. I don't really want to, but I could. If I stuck to milder off-road demands, and wasn't interested in performance improvements, it might be adequate for a little longer.

Personally, if $600 was the absolute limit of what I had to spend, I'd be looking at the used market. You're going to get a better bang for your buck, and might even find something that hits way above the price.
absolutely, I rode more then enough before my hiatus (kids, time), to recognize this. Now my boys are grown enough to enjoy it, that was my driving force to get back in.

But having to buy 3 bikes up front, and recognizing that it may not stick as a hobby, limited the budget to what it is. That being said, there’s not a trail within 50 miles of me (eastern PA) that the GT didn't and the MB won’t do fine on, as skill/confidence, comes from the rider, not the bike. Sure it’s probably easier on $4k full squish, but it never stopped me before.

my only point in my first post on this thread was that the OP could find a usable bike, new, close to his budget to try it out. (But then VB and the other showed up and it devolved into purse swinging, lol)
Old 02-02-23, 05:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4836 Post(s)
Liked 7,827 Times in 3,707 Posts
Originally Posted by GTBecane
absolutely, I rode more then enough before my hiatus (kids, time), to recognize this. Now my boys are grown enough to enjoy it, that was my driving force to get back in.

But having to buy 3 bikes up front, and recognizing that it may not stick as a hobby, limited the budget to what it is. That being said, there’s not a trail within 50 miles of me (eastern PA) that the GT didn't and the MB won’t do fine on, as skill/confidence, comes from the rider, not the bike. Sure it’s probably easier on $4k full squish, but it never stopped me before.

my only point in my first post on this thread was that the OP could find a usable bike, new, close to his budget to try it out. (But then VB and the other showed up and it devolved into purse swinging, lol)
veganbikes makes some valid points, and I think you're over-reacting a bit to what he's saying, but I get where you're coming from, as well.

I took a break from cycling for 15 years, also (family, kids' sports, etc). 3 years ago, I got back on the bike, and have worked hard to return to a reasonable level of fitness where I can ride with my ex-racer buddies who never stopped riding. During that time, I have added 3 bikes to my stable. All used, and all high-level machines, bought for 30-50% of their new price. That said, I understand that people's budgets for bikes vary significantly. I wish I had family that shared my hobby, but if they did, I probably wouldn't be able to have the bikes I have - LOL.
Old 02-02-23, 05:49 PM
GTBecane

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
veganbikes makes some valid points, and I think you're over-reacting a bit to what he's saying, but I get where you're coming from, as well.

I took a break from cycling for 15 years, also (family, kids' sports, etc). 3 years ago, I got back on the bike, and have worked hard to return to a reasonable level of fitness where I can ride with my ex-racer buddies who never stopped riding. During that time, I have added 3 bikes to my stable. All used, and all high-level machines, bought for 30-50% of their new price. That said, I understand that people's budgets for bikes vary significantly. I wish I had family that shared my hobby, but if they did, I probably wouldn't be able to have the bikes I have - LOL.
you are correct, VB does have some validity in his statements, maybe it’s just the delivery, shrugs. for the record, veganbikes I hold no animosity, the internet is not serious bidness.

yup outfitting 4 right out of the gate means I get a $600 bike, lol.

maybe I’ll start a thread for the $600 junkers journey.
Old 02-02-23, 05:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
IMO, a significant factor is what the person expects out of the bike, and how they're going to use it. I could ride a $600 MTB on all the same roads and trails as I ride my current XX1/XTR-equipped hardtail. I would go slower, I might need to walk it more, and the parts would probably need to be replaced a lot sooner, but I could make it work. I don't really want to, but I could. If I stuck to milder off-road demands, and wasn't interested in performance improvements, it might be adequate for a little longer.

Personally, if $600 was the absolute limit of what I had to spend, I'd be looking at the used market. You're going to get a better bang for your buck, and might even find something that hits way above the price.
On the road I would just stick with a hybrid and I can spend the same amount and get a little more out of that bike generally not great but for occasional riding fine.

For that price yes I would look at more used options but you do want to be careful and know what you are doing on that front as you can get screwed if not knowledgeable.

Again your 1998 GT is a $1400 in today's money (2023). Stop it! If you are going to go on about the GT then realize it is not a $600 bike in today's money. If you had a $330 bike from 1998 maybe you might have a bit more of a point (ish). Nobody is purse swinging here I am being realistic based on component quality. Not just going to the clouds and saying the absolute bottom end of components is good quality.
Old 02-02-23, 05:54 PM
GTBecane

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
On the road I would just stick with a hybrid and I can spend the same amount and get a little more out of that bike generally not great but for occasional riding fine.

For that price yes I would look at more used options but you do want to be careful and know what you are doing on that front as you can get screwed if not knowledgeable.

Again your 1998 GT is a $1400 in today's money (2023). Stop it! If you are going to go on about the GT then realize it is not a $600 bike in today's money. If you had a $330 bike from 1998 maybe you might have a bit more of a point (ish). Nobody is purse swinging here I am being realistic based on component quality. Not just going to the clouds and saying the absolute bottom end of components is good quality.
lol, settle down.
Old 02-02-23, 05:57 PM
GTBecane

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ohh, $330 bike from that era you say, 95’ GT Outpost I started with did all the same as the Backwoods for 3 years.
Old 02-02-23, 05:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

you are correct, VB does have some validity in his statements, maybe it’s just the delivery, shrugs. for the record, veganbikes I hold no animosity, the internet is not serious bidness.

yup outfitting 4 right out of the gate means I get a $600 bike, lol.

maybe I’ll start a thread for the $600 junkers journey.
I don't hold animosity either. I am generally rarely if ever mad at anyone here on this forum.

If you know what you are looking at or have a shop and a seller in the area willing to allow you to do "bidness" in the shop you can potentially get a decent used bike for $600. I got my Cilo with Dura Ace 7400 for $400 and I put about another $100 in parts in it mostly for looks and a little comfort but I could have skipped some of it.
Old 02-02-23, 06:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Agreed. Knowing what I was looking for - and looking at - was a big part of why I was able to find excellent deals for myself. I was also aware of the risks of buying used without physically seeing the bike before I pulled the trigger, aware that there might be undisclosed issues that I would have to deal with (there were on one of them),and aware of what it would take to get each of those bikes to suit my preferences and fit. We definitely see plenty of unknowledgeable intended buyers posting on BF - LOL.
Old 02-02-23, 06:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Ohh, $330 bike from that era you say, 95’ GT Outpost I started with did all the same as the Backwoods for 3 years.
1995 would be about $310 bike. The Outpost would be a better bike than todays bike though it is 2 steps up from Tourney not great but a little more serviceable and certainly from that era a bit better as more metal construction. Still a low initial cost bike.

lol, settle down.
Quite settled, sitting on a couch watching Fresh off the Boat and just had some delicious Thai red curry, might eat a cookie soon which I guess would unsettle me but only briefly and for a cookie and who doesn't love a cookie? : )
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-02-23, 06:14 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

... just had some delicious Thai red curry...
My stomach just went, "Um...wut? Curry me now."

Curry Me Now sounds like the name of a Thai dish - LOL.

Time to go ride my bike. Curry later.
Old 02-02-23, 06:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

My stomach just went, "Um...wut? Curry me now."

Curry Me Now sounds like the name of a Thai dish - LOL.

Time to go ride my bike. Curry later.
Probably could be a good restaurant name. Curry Me Now could do a good curry out business

I had a nice ride earlier maybe I might get a really good one in Saturday if weather is decent.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-02-23, 06:21 PM
GTBecane

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cheers, my oldest daughter just walked in with our Syrian take out, the rest of us are watching old Seth’s Bike Hack videos. (The boys are enthralled).

still want to know what the OP ended up with.

unfortunately I wasn’t able to find anything but all out junk, or $2500 used stuff in a reasonable distance.
Likes For GTBecane:
Old 02-02-23, 06:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Cheers, my oldest daughter just walked in with our Syrian take out, the rest of us are watching old Seth’s Bike Hack videos. (The boys are enthralled).

still want to know what the OP ended up with.

unfortunately I wasn’t able to find anything but all out junk, or $2500 used stuff in a reasonable distance.
Love me some SBH (or Berm Peak) he is always fun.

It could be tough depending on your local market or if you know what to look for.
Just out of curiosity I did pop over to Craigslist

https://allentown.craigslist.org/bik...584803933.html (totally vintage decent parts a nice steel frame back when Performance had some decent stuff I might consider it after looking at in person)

https://allentown.craigslist.org/bik...567614668.html (not great still a crap front fork but in that $600 range I still would say maybe overpriced but not sure of that market)
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-02-23, 06:58 PM
GTBecane

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Love me some SBH (or Berm Peak) he is always fun.

It could be tough depending on your local market or if you know what to look for.
Just out of curiosity I did pop over to Craigslist

https://allentown.craigslist.org/bik...584803933.html (totally vintage decent parts a nice steel frame back when Performance had some decent stuff I might consider it after looking at in person)

https://allentown.craigslist.org/bik...567614668.html (not great still a crap front fork but in that $600 range I still would say maybe overpriced but not sure of that market)
sorry, didn’t qualify the not being able to find stuff, was interested in the Fuji, but frame size was the deciding factor, 5’10” @ 185, I’m a solid medium, although the new one feels huge with the 29”, as opposed to the GT.

as always with my luck a bunch will show up now, lol.

right now the plan is to run the MB until my 13 year old gains 5” or so (and upgrade it as needed/wanted), pass it to him, pass the GT down and so on. And wait for the 5 year old to loose her training wheels and be able to handle the 20” 7 speed “MTB”.

then lay out for a decent (snicker) full squish.
Likes For GTBecane:
Old 02-03-23, 07:02 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts

But the OP isn't looking to buy 3 bikes up front. Just one bike. So how is your situation of money constraints like his? You are making a recommendation to the OP for a $600 bike based on your situation...Not his.

Last edited by prj71; 02-03-23 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-03-23, 07:06 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by alicefuller
I'd recommend you to get a good brand, for mountain bikes, i recommend getting mongoose, it is my favorite bike brand. I still have my very first mongoose bike with me. If you are skeptical about it, then read reviews online, or check any marketplace.
AI ChatGPT^^^
Likes For prj71:
Old 02-03-23, 07:57 AM
GTBecane

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
But the OP isn't looking to buy 3 bikes up front. Just one bike. So how is your situation of money constraints like his? You are making a recommendation to the OP for a $600 bike based on your situation...Not his.
budget is similar……
Old 02-03-23, 08:39 AM
prj71

Probably not the best budget for riding a mountain bike on trails in the Sequoia National Forest. This is where cheap mountain bikes fail. Since they are built to be cost effective and low quality, the parts wear out faster and are not as durable. This makes for an unsafe and uncomfortable ride on anything harder than most beginner trails.
Old 04-27-23, 08:37 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 383 Posts
Alllrighty - I'm jumping into this instead of starting a new thread.

Qualifiers - I'm a roadie/gravel guy that isn't into high end stuff. 105 road, basic bottom end Sram on the gravel.

I just want a MTB that I can ride with my son from time to time. Trails, single track, gravel. I will not be jumping much, no drop ins or table tops - just want to ride with my son.

He's on a new Marlin 5 - good intermediate bike while he is getting ready for his growth spurt...

I'm looking at the Marlin 5 as well. Pretty decent sale going on right now.

Shimano Atlus, hydraulic disc, SR Suntour XCT 30 fork... $600 right now. Marked down from $730.

I'm thinking this bike will be good enough for my needs?
Old 04-29-23, 10:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Jughed

Qualifiers - I'm a roadie/gravel guy that isn't into high end stuff. 105 road, basic bottom end Sram on the gravel.

I just want a MTB that I can ride with my son from time to time. Trails, single track, gravel. I will not be jumping much, no drop ins or table tops - just want to ride with my son.

He's on a new Marlin 5 - good intermediate bike while he is getting ready for his growth spurt...

Shimano Atlus, hydraulic disc, SR Suntour XCT 30 fork... $600 right now. Marked down from $730.

I would not put money towards that bike. It is near or at bottom end components (depending which year Marlin 5) and while the price is lowered the bike is not one I would want for any actual mountain biking (and no that doesn't have to include drops and tricks and yada yada yada) If you are stuck on buying the Trek logo and the Marlin line I would look at the 8. It is the first in the series to get a proper mountain bike fork with air instead of cheap coil springs and you get 12 speed drivetrain (albeit bottom end SRAM) and has the old school combination of SRAM drivetrain with Shimano brakes in this case hydraulics. That is all good because it is a decent candidate for upgrades as needed warranted and is more compatible with modern components so it is easier to get replacements when stuff wears out.

If not stuck on the Trek name then I would look at the Rockhopper Expert which is on sale for $999 and is a similar build but swapping Shimano brakes with SRAM which maybe not my thing but the SRAM brakes of today are actually pretty good minus their use of DOT fluid but if you are doing the maintenance you don't need to worry.
Old 04-30-23, 05:01 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed

The kind of trails you are talking about on the Eastern Shore in MD, that bike should be fine. Just remember, it's just a bit beefier hybrid bike essentially. So the rails to trails, gravel and really light single track, it will be fine. Once you start going into more advance mountain biking trails, you will most likely want more out of your bike. It really depends on what YOU plan on doing. I've seen plenty of these bikes in this price range from many manufacturers on C&O/railstotrails and many trails from Clarksburg MD, through Germantown and western part of the DC region. They work, comfortable for the short distances many riders ride on and hey, it's in your budget.

I did something very similar with my son and daughter when I used to live in Clarksburg. But, will admit, I used to shop for the kids all the time at Performance Bikes and used to get really good deals on bikes and parts. It's really too bad the old Performance Bikes are no longer in business, cause families were able to get a good bang for the buck on bikes for the kids. Example, the last bike I bought from PB for my son, was a GT Avalanche Comp for only $450 when it's msrp was around $750. I believe it was about 6 years ago. You look at it now on GT's website and this bike is $1100, eek. So I do get it, buying a bike for growing children and then wanting something for yourself at a reasonable cost makes sense. Just if you really get into the biking sport, be ready for treating yourself to a better mid grade type of bike depending on your needs.

OH and get ready for your son to look at other bikes and essentially go, "I want that too!" Egads, my son is now 18 and about to graduate high school, then go to college. I still have him coming to me about wanting a new bike. The latest one is a brand called Orange, think it was a used Alpine 6 he saw at a local shop. He had to call me telling me he has an emergency and needs $3500. Yea, think I created a monster.