Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Kona Fire Mountain Headset

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 12-17-22, 09:33 AM
Alasoarus
Kinda Retro

Bikes: Trek 7.2, Trek Verve 3, Giant Cruiser, Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A friend gave me a Kona Fire Mountain. From what I found in looking through old catalogs, it looks to be a 2001. Only major issue with it is the top headset bearings are shot. I want to replace the headset. The specs I can find on it show that an Aheadset STS was original equip, however I am not sure of the size. Would anyone know of a headset that is available now that would fit?
Old 12-17-22, 04:50 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Standard 1-1/8" threadless headset. Now generally called EC34, meaning external cup headset with 34mm cup skirt that press fits into the frame.
Old 12-18-22, 05:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
As wesmamykesaid it is likely an EC34/EC34 but do not take our guesses on it, take it to your local shop and have them measure it and confirm. Measure twice, buy once. If looking for cheap Cane Creek 40 if looking for something nice Chris King or Cane Creek 110.
Old 12-20-22, 08:32 AM
Alasoarus
Kinda Retro

Bikes: Trek 7.2, Trek Verve 3, Giant Cruiser, Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the answers! I will load it up and take it to one of the local shops for an official measurement.
I have worked on older bikes many times, however no threadless headset experience. Always good to learn something new!
Old 12-20-22, 10:40 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
I hope your trip is short because I'd be willing to bet the HS is just a normal press fit 1&1/8 that you can procure from Amazon for $15 - $20.