Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Suggested Mountain bike for bikepacking?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 12-28-22, 02:33 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts

I do all my bikepacking on a gravel bike. To get further afield I am considering buying a mountain bike to tackle the tougher, more technical terrain.

anyone in this MTB forum have experience bikepacking with a MTB, full suspension or hard tail?
Old 12-28-22, 04:03 PM
Romany275

Bikes: 89 Centurion Dave Scott IM Master, 92 Trek 950, 95 Giant ATX 870

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 17 Posts
I haven't done it yet but I have a 92 Trek 950 (all rigid) that I wouldn't hesitate to load down for a bikepacking trip. You may to check out the "show us your vintage mountain bike" thread in the forum. There are many examples/photos of folks using older mountain bikes for this purpose - mostly all rigid but some with front suspension. They are considered some of the most versatile bikes out there and they can still be had for very reasonable prices.
Likes For Romany275:
Old 12-28-22, 04:20 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I did some mixed on off road touring with a rigid 1990 Cannondale. It worked well, but I wasn't on much technical singletrack. I'd use it to tour on more technial trail than I have so far though. I'd also entertain using my newer hardtail.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 12-28-22, 05:04 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
https://bikepacking.com/bikes/2022-t...e-rigs-part-2/

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/2022-t...e-rigs-part-1/
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-28-22, 05:13 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Hard Tails seem to be easier to install a frame bag, so I would likely use my Chisel HT instead of my Epic FS.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-28-22, 05:19 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
check out posts by cyccommute he's posted a few of his bikes that would fit what you're looking for

example:

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Honestly, why not just stay with what is working? Your Kona is fully capable of doing what you want to do. You might change up the bags a bit and use bikepacking bags rather than panniers. I don’t like them as much as pannier and would never use them for road touring but for rugged to semi-rugged off-road touring, they work far better.

This is my setup for rugged bikepacking in the Colorado Rockies. I use it to go up and over mountain passes here that tend to be really rocky. It’s a Moots YBBeat that has a 1.5” travel on the rear wheel. It’s not a huge movement but enough to take some of the edge off the bumps. The fork is a 100mm Fox Float. It’s old but very capable and has a very good lockout for those sections of a trip where I don’t need the suspension.

This the kind of roads I ride on.

The configuration I use are constantly changing on different trips.

And here’s how I pack it.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by fishboat; 12-28-22 at 05:28 PM.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 12-28-22, 05:29 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
We used semi-fat tire bikes (3") tires on solid Motobecane frames with hyd disk brakes for search and rescue. We even had 20" bar Stihl chainsaws mounted on the racks along with medical gear and survival kits and lots of electronic radio gear/GPS. We never knew where we were going to end up or for how long and what we would need. Sometimes we were in the outback for more than a week at a time. They were literally pack mules powered by humans.
I have seen pics of Cycocommute's bikes and I wouldn't hesitate to hear what he has to say.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-28-22, 07:46 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
You didn't mention if you want a modern or vintage mountain bike for bike packing. A vintage may feel too much like your gravel bike.

Bikepacking.com recently did a video about their picks for the best bikepacking bike.
Likes For katsup:
Old 12-30-22, 05:42 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
thanks, Polaris OBark. I’m a member of the bikepacking collective with BPDC. I like their reviews a great deal and wanted an additional “front line” perspective from the respected bike forum members, including yours. Thank you for taking the time to contribute.
Likes For rbrides:
Old 12-30-22, 05:59 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Mine is a steel drop-bar mountain bike, FWIW.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 01-01-23, 10:48 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I’ve been using my late 90’s DEAN mtb, hardtail rigid, for bikepacking, w/ front & rear racks. And just recently converted its full XT 3x8 to a 1x11 drivetrain. Retained the low end gearing, but lost a few gear inches at the top end (which I rarely used anyway).
Likes For roadfix:
Old 01-03-23, 11:45 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I got my Timberjack with the intent to be a do-everything bike, and then got myself a frame bag for daily use, and with the intent to go bikepacking someday. I have to say it does not seem like an ideal combination. The bike has a lot of its front real estate spent on the big tire clearance and big fork and big stiff tubing. The triangle opening and the bag is actually quite small and awkward. A steel or titanium bike would handle the space better, and if it's a fat bike it can also can take bags that are 1in wider. I don't think it would be as good to ride on single track, though.
Genesis 49:16-17