Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bianchi Classic Columbus

Old 01-19-23, 04:32 AM
ilinpelin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bianchi Classic Columbus

Hi,

I am interested in buying a Bianchi Columbus, which seems in decent condition for apx 530 GBP and have two questions:

1. Does this seem like a reasonable offer?
2. I got a Peugeot corbonlite 103 road bike, which is fine, but needs some attention. Would you say the Bianchi is a substantial step up?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks,
Ilin

PS: I'm not allowed to post links here yet, but pictures of the bike can be found on "Oxford reconditioned bikes".
Old 01-19-23, 08:17 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
(possible) PIC assist

Hello and welcome to the forums!
If this is the bike in question, it definitely worths the price, over here in continental Europe you would pay minimum x1.5 for it (plus shipping customs etc, you know it), or even x2 if it would be in better shape. Its an early 90's bike built from Columbus tubes (its not the model name). How valuable it is mostly depends on the Columbus sticker on the seat tube, for the untrained eye these look all the same, but the sticker (if original to the bike) makes a difference, in weight, maybe a bit in stiffness, and value. It is at minimum an upper middle class bike.
It has a mix of Campagnolo components from various eras (and noticed those guys like to puzzle together bikes), but if you plan it to be a rider bike and not a wall hanger (as I assume, otherwise it wouldnt matter if its better than the Carbolite) its even a pro. The shifters and maybe also the rear derailleur are 8 speed ones, where those brakes are from much newer generatons (therefore really bite). There is no big issue with the older drivetrain until they break as parts are getting harder and pricier to find. Manageable, but be warned.
Above all, the most important thing if it fits you by size. You can surely cheat here and there with seatpost height and different stem, and if you fall in love with it when you go to check it out, your senses are already blurred so you'll feel I'ts good. But it is just as easy to feel the pain on longer rides later.

Would you decided to go for it, make sure to keep the paint and chrome in as good shape as possible, including the decals (especially if you find a "Costruita nel Reparto Corse" one on the other side of the bike indicating it was made in the racing department when it still meant something), they are above all the most important value factors of these, and as I see, this has minor dings, but nothing serious. Just for comparison the same bike with these parts could cost way less in any other color.

- Lattz-

Last edited by Lattz; 01-19-23 at 08:22 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 01-19-23, 09:40 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals.

Old 01-19-23, 04:42 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by ilinpelin
Hi,
I am interested in buying a Bianchi Columbus, which seems in decent condition for apx 530 GBP and have two questions:
1. Does this seem like a reasonable offer?
2. I got a Peugeot corbonlite 103 road bike, which is fine, but needs some attention. Would you say the Bianchi is a substantial step up?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Many thanks, Ilin
I'm not sure what the exchange rate is $500+/- USD is probably a good deal for that depending on the type of Columbus tubing

A lot of these '92-96ish Bianchis with the chrome fork and stays came as both complete bikes and frame/fork, at least here in the US. The Stronglight headset makes me think it might be latter,

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-20-23, 12:47 AM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
In answer to your second question:

the Bianchi would be a substantial step UP in quality from a Carbolite 103 Peugeot.
Old 01-20-23, 02:49 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
I owned for years a Carbolite 103 Peugeot. Pretty decent entry level roadie, but a bit whippy in larger frame sizes, IMHO.

As to the Bianchi, I have an '87 Vittoria, somewhat resembling yours (purchased as frame+fork) except I did 7 spd friction on the downtube with mixed Campa, Mavic, Weinmann, Sugino drilled crankset. I value mine at $500usd. The components are upgraded beyond mine - so my guess for yours would be ~$650-700usd for SL or SLX. Lesser tubesets detract some. At a .81 gbp to 1 usd exchange = the £530 is a fair price.

Bianchi Formula One tubeset - which feels much like SL, but not sure of fork or stays in this 59cm frame size.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-20-23 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-20-23, 03:11 AM
ilinpelin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the helpful and insightful feedback! Yes, this is the bike Lattz. I'll surely try to give it a go. Many thanks!
Ilin
Old 01-20-23, 05:50 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Please give us feedback on your deal and how you like the bike’s characteristics.

My 2 Bianchis’ characteristics were different but correct for the racy vs road sport use.
Old 01-21-23, 05:54 AM
ilinpelin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks again! I'll be seeing the bike today and will feedback. Quick question regarding the size. I'm 169cm tall and if I'm not mistaken a 52cm frame would be perfect for me. Does this look like a 52cm frame to you? thanks for any advice.
Old 01-21-23, 09:17 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Thanks again! I'll be seeing the bike today and will feedback. Quick question regarding the size. I'm 169cm tall and if I'm not mistaken a 52cm frame would be perfect for me. Does this look like a 52cm frame to you? thanks for any advice.
Shame that what appears to be a reputable seller doesn't list the frame size in their ads. Frame size is probably the most important aspect of a bicycle so it should be job #1 to list that. Oh well. It does appear to be close to a 52cm from the photos. Keep in mind that not all bikes of a certain size will ride the same. That is due to the geometry of the frame itself. Some feature shorter seat tubes and longer top tubes while others are just the opposite. Riding the bike is the only way to really be sure.

It looks like a very nice bike and it does seem to have been serviced. Make sure to ask if they have addressed all of the grease, bearings, etc. In other words, what do they consider "reconditioning".

Finally, regarding price, they are a business and they pay folks and also probably rent. They have to make a reasonable profit in order to stay afloat. The listed price is reasonable in my opinion given that.
Old 01-21-23, 04:23 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,861 Posts
Looks very close to a 52. Most of us can adjust 1 cm up or down, but 52cm can be measured several ways.

From the center of the bottom bracket (center of the crank set) to where the center of the top tube meets the seat tube. Or center to top which measures to the top of the seat collar.

If to top is the measure, it effectively makes the frame a few cm shorter based on the size you gave.

Now throw all of that out. Too many other factors at work (leg length versus torso...length of stem...your preferred riding position...). Test ride it and see what you think!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 01-22-23, 10:24 AM
ilinpelin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dear all,

I just tried the bike and it is just beautiful. The frame is "Thron" and it does say on the side "construita nel...".

The front gear-shift didn't work well enough, so the seller said he'd have to take a closer look at it and I'll have some extra time to think if I want it in a couple of days. The size seems to be just perfect for me, better than my Peugeot.

So I have only two consideration. One - there're a number of places where the paint of the frame is a bit chipped - there is no visible rust. I think it had been cleaned - but I wonder if this is something I should be worried about. The seller assured me that if rust grows back there it should do very slowly. As I said, those places weren't even that many and are maybe no real issue but I thought it could be mentioned. My bigger worry is how to make sure this bike isn't stolen. I wonder if a good lock is good enough. Does anyone use a bike like this and leave it at train stations work etc...? Are there locks which are good enough? I would certainly love to use it every day going to places - but I would also like to minimise the likelihood of it disappearing.

Many thanks,
Ilin
Old 01-22-23, 12:23 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Yes, people use bikes like that everyday. A train station can be good or bad place to lock up. During the day I wouldn't worry that much, yes I would have concern, it's at night being parked in same spot at consistent times that would have me at worry.

At the Denver train station I say you're really safe, at the Seattle station, not so much.

Good locks won't prevent one from stripping parts from a bike consistently parked, if the would be taker knows you won't be back for another 8-10hrs.
Old 01-22-23, 02:07 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Plus the added attraction of the celeste and Bianchi combination.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 01-23-23, 04:12 AM
ilinpelin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks again, yes I think one has to be simply a bit more strategic with where one leaves it.

Any thoughts on the Thron frame? There's not too much info on it online. What I read is that it is similar, albeit slightly inferior to an SLX. Would others agree?

Thanks again for all your generous comments!
Old 01-23-23, 06:56 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Everything you probably need to know about Columbus tubing: https://www.millfieldvelo.com.au/col...bing-timeline/

I wouldn't get hung up on the type of steel tubing and how Thron compares to SLX personally. How does the bike ride? That's really more important, along with fit of course.

As far as theft, there is nothing you can do to guarantee your bike won't be stolen. There are precautions, but nothing will stop a motivated thief. I'm sure there are numerous threads on the forums here discussing which locks tend to be the best deterrent. Also, some invest in locking skewers for their wheels and I'm sure they help some, but the tools to remove them aren't anything special and I'm sure knowledgeable thieves come prepared. Same with quick release binders on seat post clamps, they are an invitation to a disappearing saddle.

Regarding the paint chips, you can touch up any locations where the paint is completely missing. There are different ways to do so. Some use clear nail polish after removing any surface rust and just let it go while monitoring it to ensure the rust doesn't come back. And still others will go the extra mile and sand, fill and topcoat with a matching paint. Depends on how much aesthetics matter to you. And some will apply a quality car wax on a regular basis and not even mess with small chips. Doing nothing probably isn't the best for your frame.

If I bought a frame like that, and was going to commute on it in all kinds of weather I'd address the INSIDE of the frame with Framesaver, Boeshield or any of the preventative treatments out there.

I'm glad your first impression of the bike is positive. The FD issue is easy to sort out and I'm surprised they hadn't already dialed it in, but they are willing to fix it, so that's good.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 01-27-23, 06:16 AM
ilinpelin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dear all,

I got the Bianchi yesterday and am delighted - it just seems to be a beautiful piece of engineering and rides so well. Apart from the few places where a bit of paint is chipped and 2-3 small places where there is a hint of rust it's in perfect condition. Most of the the elements around the drivetrain, breaks, gears etc appear to be almost new.

Thank you all for all your useful comments!

With kind regards,
Ilin
Likes For ilinpelin:
Old 01-28-23, 09:25 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Dear all,

I got the Bianchi yesterday and am delighted - it just seems to be a beautiful piece of engineering and rides so well. Apart from the few places where a bit of paint is chipped and 2-3 small places where there is a hint of rust it's in perfect condition. Most of the the elements around the drivetrain, breaks, gears etc appear to be almost new.

Thank you all for all your useful comments!

With kind regards,
Ilin
That is the important thing. That it fits and feels fantastic.