Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Folding Gravel Bike GB-2

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-23, 12:10 PM
jdmopar96

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have been looking for a folding gravel bike and was excited to see the Dahon GB-2 during a business trip to Germany. When I got back to the US I found an e-mail contact montier@dahon.comand reached out. The word from Dahon USA is that the GB-2 goes into production in June of 2023 and they are expecting a US bound shipment shortly thereafter. I am planning on checking back around the end of March. I would suggest that anyone else that is interested please drop an e-mail to Monte and let him know. I think feedback from we the consumer is always important.
Likes For jdmopar96:
Old 01-23-23, 04:28 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 376 Posts
This is an ad
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 01-31-23, 01:22 AM
kwantani

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Yes I'm looking for a one folding bike do it all kind of bike. This would fits the bill. Thx for sharing, will send email per reco.

Originally Posted by jdmopar96
I have been looking for a folding gravel bike and was excited to see the Dahon GB-2 during a business trip to Germany. When I got back to the US I found an e-mail contact montier@dahon.comand reached out. The word from Dahon USA is that the GB-2 goes into production in June of 2023 and they are expecting a US bound shipment shortly thereafter. I am planning on checking back around the end of March. I would suggest that anyone else that is interested please drop an e-mail to Monte and let him know. I think feedback from we the consumer is always important.
Old 01-31-23, 04:06 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Its an interesting concept for those who want a big wheel folding bike, different from the Changebike and Montague!

12kg is not bad seen the relatively low end components mounted by Dahon. It should be possible the shave some weight by replacing parts of the components.

Old 01-31-23, 10:30 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Looks pretty good using Lock-jaw.

1. Does it roll after fold?

2. The devil is in the folded width to see what size it is after fold, but it does look a tighter fold compared to the Montague and ChangeBike
Old 02-01-23, 12:07 AM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
For a gravel bike, it looks a bit sparse for braze-ons for racks and bags and all that dangling stuff bikepackers like. Only one standard bottle mount and nothing on the front fork? A bit poor.
Likes For Reddleman:
Old 02-01-23, 02:53 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Reddleman
For a gravel bike, it looks a bit sparse for braze-ons for racks and bags and all that dangling stuff bikepackers like. Only one standard bottle mount and nothing on the front fork? A bit poor.
Yep, it's a road bike that fits bigger tires and discs. Not a gravel bike.
Old 02-01-23, 04:51 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
I rather like this Cadenza...

I

Old 02-02-23, 03:52 AM
Jipe

Gravel and bikepacking are two different things, not all gravel bike have points to attach a lot of bags/things !
Likes For Jipe:
Old 02-02-23, 07:07 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Yep, it's a road bike that fits bigger tires and discs. Not a gravel bike.
single bottle cage is not an issue, the tyres are a bite small (35/36mm).
The bigger issue is the range; 327% is a little restricted. gravel bikes with sora groupset tend to be 2x9 with such cassette and usually a compact front (50-34) (sometime 44/28). In 1x9 with this long cage, they could have specced at least a sunrace 11-40.
Ultimately, without a clutched derailleur, it won't be great a the chain will pop out. I run a similar setup on my hill climb mini velo and I had to fit a "braze-on" chain guide and a narrow wide chain ring as on rough English roads, the chain kept dropping.

An Apex mechanical groupset would be more suitable.
Old 02-02-23, 07:54 AM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Here is a video on it.
Slightly different variant with non-folding stem but a removable stem.
Available in Hong Kong (and not air ware since I can't seem to find it elsewhere )

Its in Cantonese though, but basically the video explains itself mostly.
The gist of it...
1. It can roll when folded
2. Fold width is more narrow than Montague and Change
3. Can take an FD clamp
4. Can use 700c with space for wider tires
5. 40T chainring; 11-34t cassette (Sora groupset)

Really interesting option, but I'd rather they sell the frame only or with an absolute cheap groupset, so that I can buy it for cheaper and swap it to something better with wider range.
Old 02-02-23, 10:56 AM
Jipe

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
I

A gravel bike requires a drop-bar!

And good luck to ride off-road with these 24 spokes wheels!
Old 02-02-23, 11:27 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Originally Posted by Jipe
A gravel bike requires a drop-bar!
nope. Flat bar gravels have been a thing for a while now. Marin, Poseidon, Specilized, Salsa, Kona etc. and many other do it.

Hunt Gravel wheels are 24 Spokes.

Last edited by Fentuz; 02-02-23 at 11:31 AM.
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 02-02-23, 12:25 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
Here's the video from 11 months ago from Dahon,...
​​​​​​
Old 02-02-23, 04:24 PM
Jipe

Originally Posted by Fentuz
nope. Flat bar gravels have been a thing for a while now. Marin, Poseidon, Specilized, Salsa, Kona etc. and many other do it.

Hunt Gravel wheels are 24 Spokes.
Oh yes, nowadays, any bike able to ride both on road and off road is called gravel because this is what is hot and sells well, there are gravel with flat bar, with suspension, with 20" wheels, Moulton gravel, Brompton gravel, e-gravel, cargo gravel... anything gravel!
Old 02-02-23, 04:28 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Oh yes, nowadays, any bike able to ride both on road and off road is called gravel because this is what is hot and sells well, there are gravel with flat bar, with suspension, with 20" wheels, Moulton gravel, Brompton gravel, e-gravel, cargo gravel... anything gravel!
Gravel bike. Because there's gravel here and I ride on it.

Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 02-02-23, 04:42 PM
Jipe

Gravel bike. Because there's gravel and he rides on it
Likes For Jipe:
Old 03-13-24, 04:55 AM
questionesse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Spotted a new video recently after I also couldn't get any input from any regional dahon entity about availability back when it launched.

Reached out to dahon again full of hope, but nope, all pretty vague and uncertain:
GB-2 currently is not in sale and we'are working on putting it to market ASAP. The estimated time should be the second half of the next year

It may come to the Europe market, if not, other road bikes from DAHON may be considered. Plans are still undecided, so please stay tuned!
Too bad. Already thinking of one could get a hold of one in Asia and import it to Europe, though haven't found a true trustworthy, reliable source - which would have to ship overseas as well on top of that...
Likes For questionesse:
Old 03-14-24, 12:38 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 325 Posts
The new version of "tactical", added to any product that is black. Also, EDC (Every Day Carry), for what used to be called a pocketknife or small sheath knife.

And now, Gravel. I just looked, it hasn't made the dictionaries as an adjective for bikes. And if you ask me, "gravel" is the size of peas, hence the term Pea Gravel, aka "fine gravel", and try to bike through a layer of that more than a couple inches deep on anything less than large diameter, 4" tires or more at low pressure, it's like trying to bike through deep sand. Technically, gravel can mean much larger stones and rocks, but to me, next up is pebbles (rounded) and crushed stone (sharp), then on to rip-rap.

Some bike trails are finely crushed stone, packed down well, "macadam" (pioneered by engineer John Louden McAdam (I kid you not)), where even narrow tires don't sink in. Adding tar to macadem produces tarred macadem, also known as "tarmac" (interesting, no?), an alternative to concrete for roads and runways.

For bike routes that are mostly dirt, I would call that an "unpaved trail".
Old 03-14-24, 01:17 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
The new version of "tactical", added to any product that is black. Also, EDC (Every Day Carry), for what used to be called a pocketknife or small sheath knife.

And now, Gravel. I just looked, it hasn't made the dictionaries as an adjective for bikes. And if you ask me, "gravel" is the size of peas, hence the term Pea Gravel, aka "fine gravel", and try to bike through a layer of that more than a couple inches deep on anything less than large diameter, 4" tires or more at low pressure, it's like trying to bike through deep sand. Technically, gravel can mean much larger stones and rocks, but to me, next up is pebbles (rounded) and crushed stone (sharp), then on to rip-rap.

Some bike trails are finely crushed stone, packed down well, "macadam" (pioneered by engineer John Louden McAdam (I kid you not)), where even narrow tires don't sink in. Adding tar to macadem produces tarred macadem, also known as "tarmac" (interesting, no?), an alternative to concrete for roads and runways.

For bike routes that are mostly dirt, I would call that an "unpaved trail".
”Gravel” is dirt, but uses semantics to imply an independent niche. I’ve ridden a few gravel race courses, and they basically a mix of pavement and cross country MTB trails. It’s all good.
Old 03-14-24, 02:34 AM
Jipe

Originally, gravel bikes were derivatives of cyclocross bikes with a dropbar but less sporty than cyclocross, with a more comfortable position and wider tires (cyclocross tire width is limited by the cyclocross race rules)..
Old 03-14-24, 04:25 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
”Gravel” is dirt, but uses semantics to imply an independent niche. I’ve ridden a few gravel race courses, and they basically a mix of pavement and cross country MTB trails. It’s all good.
Sounds like some forms of auto rally. From wiki:
The stages may vary from flat asphalt and mountain passes to rough forest tracks, from ice and snow to desert sand, each chosen to provide a challenge for the crew and a test of the car's performance and reliability.
Old 03-14-24, 06:29 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 376 Posts
I'm not into the whole gravel bike idea. Always seemed gimmicky, but my solution is to just not buy one.

Saw some guy on a gravel-ish bike on my normal trail.
The trail was kicking the living crap out of him with the rocks and roots, but he seemed to be having a good time.

Whatever makes you happy.
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 03-18-24, 08:36 AM
Fentuz

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
The trail was kicking the living crap out of him with the rocks and roots, but he seemed to be having a good time.
Like that?

Note: no more ultra bit 45-622... Race king 50-584 or 520584 barzo unless it is a CX race
Old 03-18-24, 09:44 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
I own an inexpensive mountain bike. If I want a gravel bike, I can just swap out parts. I've already put different tires on it, I'm contemplating removing the crap spring shock, might go bladed, then use it for a gravel bike. A gravel bike is a multipurpose hybrid IMO. It's all about the branding...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.