Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Buying a new fork

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Buying a new fork

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-15, 05:52 AM
mcr23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying a new fork

So I'm just getting into to mountain biking this past year, I'm more of a roadie tbh. But I picked up a second hand giant xtc late last year, i think it's a 2009 xtc 4 - but not sure. I've mostly been doing xc riding with a bit of slightly technical single track.

The front fork is pretty crappy - I've stripped it down the best I could, but the bottom bolts seem to be rivets so i couldn't completely tear it down. I've cleaned and re-greased it, but its still making a load of noise.

So I'm looking to get a new fork to get a a few more miles out of this bike, I know i should look at just getting a new bike - but I'd rather hold off and ride this one into the ground first.

Here's a picture of the bike.

I'm not bothered if its a suspension fork or a rigid fork, I just want something that's cheap but usable for the riding i'm doing.

Would either of these work with my bike? And would I have to buy a new headset?

New SR Suntour XCM V3 100mm SUNTOUR 2014 XCM V3 Hydraulic Fork Manual Lock Control MTB 26 inch Mountain Bike for Disc/Rim -in Bicycle Fork from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

EMS Mountain Bike Suspension Fork Bike Lock Aluminum Fork outer diameter 28.6 mm Mountain Bike Road Carbon Fiber MTB Hard Fork-in Bicycle Fork from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20151003_153409~01.jpg (104.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 10-04-15, 08:20 PM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Have a look on ebay, you should be able to find something better then those forks.

You need a fork for 26" wheels, has 100mm travel, a 1 1/8" steering tube and 9mm QR dropouts.
Old 10-04-15, 09:41 PM
Babe Ruthless

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can forgo suspension, a good rigid fork is Trigon's MC-01(a). The "a" model is disc-only. Look up "Trigon carbon fork" on eBay. It's relatively cheap and IMO makes the bike more agile, but then again I have one on a mountain bike that's been built up specifically to be an "unpaved/dirt roads" bike. It can do a bit of XC, but rigids have their limits - especially on single tracks.

Good luck and let us know when you upgrade the bike! :-)
Old 10-07-15, 04:54 AM
trevor1968

Bikes: Trek mamba 29er and Trek 3700

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys! Its starting to get colder up here but its still not getting lower than 50F degrees. Why is my fork starting to freeze up, it still works but there is much less travel than normal. i have a three your old rock shox XC32 fork