Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Been Converted

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Been Converted

Old 06-06-21, 04:27 PM
jskita

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Been Converted

I don't really know where to put this post but I have avoided drop bars forever, thinking that the upright position with swept bars and a seat with a lot of support is the way to go. I have had my issues with pain, cramps and all sorts of issues, much of which was helped by other forum members. I actually ride to keep from stiffening up and it helps my back.

Maybe a year back I got a gravel bike with drop bars and I tell you that I now prefer it. I am not any less comfortable than on the upright bike and I think I am actually more comfortable. Just thought I would share it here because most of the bikes I own are hybrid style bikes and if anyone had doubts about perceived discomfort due to drop bars you might want to consider it. Of course your YMMV

Last edited by jskita; 06-06-21 at 04:30 PM. Reason: image stuck in middle of text
Likes For jskita:
Old 06-06-21, 09:24 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
This has been my experience also. I have a Hybrid and gone so far as to change the flat bars to a mustache style, wider tires, and crankset. this all helped but the right fit on a drop-bar gravel bike has changed me. Both are great bikes but the gravel bike gets the call 90% of the time. As you said, your mileage may vary but this has been good for me. Glad for you that you have found a comfortable ride to enjoy.
Be safe, Frank.
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 06-08-21, 11:26 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
I'm guessing it's a bit of a challenge braking and/or riding from the hoods on your gravel bike.....
Old 06-08-21, 01:26 PM
jskita

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
@Speedway2 - No it's very comfortable and intuitive. I think you might be referring to the flare of the drop. I have had conventional dropbars with older brifters too but the flare actually helps with the shifting because I can push straight down with my fingers to shift rather than have my fingers push under the hoods. Also there is an adjustment to bring the levers closer to the bars so there isn't so much finger reach. I am rarely in the drops, so squeezing the hoods is pretty easy.

My son came back from college on break and he has an old flat bar MTB. Only cycles to get around school but he rode my bike 20 miles and adapted without any issues. Surprisingly, he rode mostly in the drops.
Old 06-08-21, 01:33 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Yes, those drops look like they have about a 45 degree flare. I bet they are a lot more comfortable than traditional drop bars! Almost a hybrid between traditional drops and moustache bars (which could be considered to be drops with a 90 degree flare!).