Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Old school Mongoose? Is it a Mongoose or a Frankenstein bike?

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Old 04-28-21, 04:29 PM
miamibeachcg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

I found this at a local thrift store today. Is it a old school Mongoose? Is it a Mongoose? If so what year & model?
I'm worried it may be a Frankenstein bike of different parts because the pedals are mis matched & some of the other things I've never seen.
There is...something on the front forks below the handlebars with 2 holes - the only thing I can think of it's to hold a racing plate with the bike's number? (3rd photo from the end)
It also has some heavy duty welding even though the bike is really light (I think it's aluminum?)
Any information would be appreciated.

Old 04-28-21, 04:38 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
I know nothing about BMX bikes but I think the two holes below the headset are for a brake gyro?
Something like this; https://am.sourcebmx.com/collections...o?currency=cad
Old 04-28-21, 04:40 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
You could also comb through some old Mongoose online catalogues here; Vintage mongoose: Catalogs
Old 04-29-21, 10:04 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Serial number says it's an April, 2009 Mongoose.
Might be a Menace or a Ripcord, but I dunno about the chainguard and kickstand tabs - that says entry level.
Definitely aluminum.
Gyro detangler tabs on the head tube.
Seatpost binder and seatpost look non-original. Obvious wheel swap.

Maybe this?

Last edited by Rolla; 04-29-21 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-29-21, 11:28 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
Good luck with your sale

Old 04-30-21, 08:39 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 129 Posts
The tabs on the head-tube are definitely for a gyro. That is NOT a race bike, even from BITD, and numbers go on the bars.

BMXMuseum.com is a great resource for figuring out what found BMX like this are, loads of bikes to compare to.
Old 05-06-21, 09:08 AM
GTBruiser

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
My 10 cents! Appears to be a Frankenstein Big Box Store Mongoose build. The frame looks like a Mongoose Ripcord. The graphics on the fork identify that part possibly from a Mongoose Outer Limit. The handlebars and crank set are very similar to parts from a Mongoose Hoop-D. The wheels are probably single wall, cost savers. I've assembled or disassembled then reassembled dozens of bikes that had very similar parts and pieces people purchased online and at Walmart, Target, et al. All of this from around 2000-2008, so, definitely not Old School.
Old 05-16-21, 05:12 PM
Prostyler
Old school Bmx'r

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by miamibeachcg
I found this at a local thrift store today. Is it a old school Mongoose? Is it a Mongoose? If so what year & model?
I'm worried it may be a Frankenstein bike of different parts because the pedals are mis matched & some of the other things I've never seen.
There is...something on the front forks below the handlebars with 2 holes - the only thing I can think of it's to hold a racing plate with the bike's number? (3rd photo from the end)
It also has some heavy duty welding even though the bike is really light (I think it's aluminum?)
Any information would be appreciated.

it's a mongoose, but it's not one a collector would want.
Old 05-16-21, 11:30 PM
Sekine1974

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This is not a Mongoose from the Golden Age when Skip Hess started BMX Products in California circa 1974 with the Motomag and then the following year with the complete bicycle - Mongoose.

The subject bicycle is made off shore post 1982.
Old 12-06-21, 12:43 AM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 86 Posts
Many Dorel/Pacific (Schwinn, Mongoose, Huffy, Pacific, Paw Patrol, Roadmaster, Kulana, etc) bike serial numbers start with 5 letters, then 2 digits for the year, then 1 letter for the month (a-jan, b-feb, etc) , the last 5 are sequence numbers. It's definitely a Pacific bike but which brand? the fork is from a Mongoose, duh but it doesn't appear to match the frame. the majority of freestyle bikes in the Pacific line up were branded as Mongoose or Schwinn.

2005 September mfd.

Most of the Pacific bmx bikes are very heavy with the worst bearings, hubs made of sheet metal and weak rims. indestructable frames. nothing you would want to race on or do stunts.

That pink rear coaster brake wheel is from any of the Disney Princess bicycles.

also most of the similar freestyle bikes have brake mounts on the stays. Either cantilever brakes, linear pull brakes (v-brake) or u-brakes. no sign of any of those so it probably had a sidepull caliper.

Last edited by rickpaulos; 12-06-21 at 01:14 AM.