Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Sun EZ Sport Headsets Question

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 07-02-22, 07:03 PM
bkaapcke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts

I have a Sun EZ Spoert AX that was made in 2003. I've ordered new headset replacements from two vendors. Both came withh headset cups that have a 1/2 inch flange on the bottom of the bearing cups. These will not fit into the headsrt tube on my bike because there is a second tube inside the head tube which blocks it. I have gotten flat bottom cups from local delers in the past but they are no longer in business. Does anyone know of a Sun dealer that carriess the old style headsets with 1 1/8" steerer tubes? BK

Last edited by bkaapcke; 07-02-22 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-07-22, 01:34 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Are you sure the original is a 1 1/8" headset? In 2003, 1" headsets were common.
Old 07-07-22, 03:31 PM
bkaapcke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Yes, it's 1 1/8". BK
Old 07-08-22, 02:08 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Yes, it's 1 1/8". BK
Ostensibly so, but, following the logic of post #2, this 'flange' is it there so a 1" headset will fit? I would try one. Seems odd that two different 1-1/8" headsets would have the same problem fitting that bike. But, rather than chase the white rabbit of the OEM headset for the EZ Sport, what about replacing only the bearings? The cups are likely in good shape. Replace the ball bearings or the bearing assemblies if sealed bearings.