Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

microSHIFT Bar end shifter question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-22, 01:36 AM
Positron400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts

Hi,

I am a bit confused by the different offerings of Microshift's Bar End shifters. While it makes sense, if you want indexed shifting, to go for the apropriate Shimano/SRAM 10 or 11 speed offering, it should be irrelevant if one plans to use them in friction mode, right?
Since there is a marginal difference (1.8 mm) in cassette width from 10 to 11 speed, shouldnt an 10 Speed Bar end shifter provide enough cable pull to use either in friction mode?

BR
Old 07-28-22, 01:57 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
I know nothing about Microshift bar ends, but my concern would be will overall travel distance of the shifters. Is there enough to cover all 11 speeds? I have 9 speed Shimano bar ends that I am using in friction mode, index does not work. If I use them with 10 speed, the travel of the bar end is really short to make the shift. Once you get used to it, it is fine. I have not tried 11 speed.
Old 07-28-22, 02:03 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Positron400
Hi,

I am a bit confused by the different offerings of Microshift's Bar End shifters. While it makes sense, if you want indexed shifting, to go for the apropriate Shimano/SRAM 10 or 11 speed offering, it should be irrelevant if one plans to use them in friction mode, right?
Since there is a marginal difference (1.8 mm) in cassette width from 10 to 11 speed, shouldnt an 10 Speed Bar end shifter provide enough cable pull to use either in friction mode?

BR
Not necessarily. Shimano changed their road derailleur pull ratio (actuation) when they released 11 speed and 10-speed mountain. Formerly (e.g., 10-speed road and earlier, early Dura Ace excepted), 1mm of cable pulled by the shifter caused 1.7mm of derailleur movement for a Shimano derailleur. After the change, 1mm of cable pull caused less derailleur movement - about 1.4mm for Shimano 11-speed road, and about 1.2mm for Dynasys 10-speed.

This is explained fairly well here:

Science Behind the Magic | Drivetrain Compatibility ? Art's SLO Cyclery

Because of the difference in pull ratio, an 11-speed Shimano road derailleur (or a 10-speed Dynasys mountain derailleur) may require the shifter to pull more cable to make all shifts than many 10-speed shifters can pull, even in friction mode. I'm pretty sure that's why Dia Compe makes an oversized shifter (see the VO website) that's suggested for use with 11-speed Shimano road and 10-speed Shimano Dynasys derailleurs..

Last edited by Hondo6; 07-28-22 at 02:10 AM.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 07-28-22, 03:47 AM
Positron400

Thanks for your elaborate reply. So I would be on the safe side to go for the 11-speed Microshift bar end, just to make sure I can pull enough cable?
Old 07-28-22, 08:00 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Positron400
Thanks for your elaborate reply. So I would be on the safe side to go for the 11-speed Microshift bar end, just to make sure I can pull enough cable?
That would likely be the safest option. If you decide to do that, make sure the shifters you get are compatible with the derailleur you have. Recent derailleurs from different manufacturers (SRAM, Shimano, Campagnolo) now often use different derailleur pull ratios. Hell, sometimes derailleurs from the same manufacturer use different pull ratios for the same number of speeds (example: Shimano road and Dynasys 10-speed).

One potential issue if you're specifically looking for friction shifting: as I read the Microshift website, the newer 11-speed Microshift Shimano-compatible road bar ends don't appear to have a friction mode. Their older bar end/downtube/thumb shifter units (all appeared to use similar shift levers) did.

If not having friction shifting is a "dealbreaker", short of using a jTek or similar pull ratio converter to pull more cable I'm out of ideas. VO's website specifically says that the oversized Dia Compe 11-speed downtube shifter set they sell will not fit Dia Compe thumb shifter mounts due to the larger barrel. Presumably that also means it won't fit most bar end mounts.

Last edited by Hondo6; 07-28-22 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-28-22, 08:15 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
What are you actually trying to shift? # of gears? RD? etc
Old 07-28-22, 08:26 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
There is also this option. This company "Gavenalle" makes brake/shifter setups that also have a separate thumb shifter for 11sp that can be converted to indexed or friction. Specially made for them by Microshift. You would have to confirm with them that it will fit your bar end mounts but if it does, would be what you're looking for and of course you would have to buy the mounts separately. Gevenalle Shift Levers – Gevenalle You might also be interested in their brake/shifter setup as it has all the advantages of bar ends plus easier to use IMO. Shifters – Gevenalle
Old 07-28-22, 08:48 AM
Positron400

Originally Posted by dedhed
What are you actually trying to shift? # of gears? RD? etc
10 or 11 speed, depending on wether i can retrofit the 26'' casette to a 10 or 11 speed freehub body. Any cheap RD really. (likely w/ a clutch such as a Deore or Rival since i plan on going 1x). I have the VO friction shifters on one of my bikes, but they are mounted on the downtube and use a alvio 9sp RD with a 10speed casette no problem (the shifter is bent almost 180 °, but w/e)

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
There is also this option. This company "Gavenalle" makes brake/shifter setups that also have a separate thumb shifter for 11sp that can be converted to indexed or friction. Specially made for them by Microshift. You would have to confirm with them that it will fit your bar end mounts but if it does, would be what you're looking for and of course you would have to buy the mounts separately. Gevenalle Shift Levers – Gevenalle You might also be interested in their brake/shifter setup as it has all the advantages of bar ends plus easier to use IMO. Shifters – Gevenalle
Yea, the STIs from Gevenalle I don't like the look of off the shifting cable shooting out from the hoods - Main reason really, why I don't wanna use them. Also, why can nothing ever be easy with bikes - I didnt even conisder that the diameter of the bar end plugs wouldn fit a somewhat current drop handlebar.

For reference, this is the bar end shifter I am currently contemplating in getting: microSHIFT BS-M11 (should be friction compatible, from what i've gleaned) - But FGS correct me if i am wrong
Old 07-28-22, 10:12 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
None of the above give any useful info about what you want to know from the original question.

Without knowing exactly what RD type/cassette speed combo you will be using (not are possibly planning), your question is impossible to answer.

Having done a little bit or research into Microshift bar end shifters recently for my own possible purchase, all you need to know is, is the RD Sram or Shimano, Mountain or Road and speed, then look for the one that matches those specs, and that's what you need to buy, without knowing the basics of what you will be running, you will never be able to get the answer to the question.
Old 07-28-22, 12:35 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 441 Posts
I use Microshift bar ends on two bikes. They are great.

Get the shifter that matches the drivetrain you have. If you only intend to use friction shifting, why waste your money on indexed shifters? Just get any old friction shifters on eBay and be done with it.
Old 07-28-22, 01:19 PM
Positron400

Originally Posted by Yan
I use Microshift bar ends on two bikes. They are great.

Get the shifter that matches the drivetrain you have. If you only intend to use friction shifting, why waste your money on indexed shifters? Just get any old friction shifters on eBay and be done with it.
I am unsure if old ebay friction shifters would have enough cable pull, hence my question about cable pull. And yes, friction will be, what I will be going for.
Old 07-28-22, 02:13 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I think you’re getting ahead of yourself.

You don’t yet know how many speeds and what derailleur you’ll have. No reason to buy the shifter first.

Once you work out what mech you’re running, get a shifter. Microshift likely has a perfect match for your setup and will be able to run it indexed.

We don’t start from a place of kludge, we just use it once our original plans fall through.

FWIW, those Gevenalle levers use microshift, so that doesn’t put you anywhere else on this journey, even if they weren’t so fugly.