Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brooks leather seats.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Brooks leather seats.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-22, 04:13 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts
I have a B17 on my Dahon and a C15 on my Giant. They're both great, but I prefer the C15 primarily because it's weatherproof and I don't need to worry about covers when it rains.
Old 07-23-22, 05:46 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...-saddle?sg=500
Old 07-24-22, 07:53 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
If you can be patient, and keep your eye on prices/set up some alerts, you can get a B17 for well under $100. I didn't really need another one, but I got one from biketiresdirect.com last month for $83 on some kind of 'daily special'.
Old 07-24-22, 12:16 PM
Greyhounds

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
You should never buy a bicycle part which is a standard item that virtually all LBS's (Local Bike Shop, brick and mortar shop), have in stock, from Amazon. Support your local bike shop.
Likes For Greyhounds:
Old 07-24-22, 12:34 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
In my experience, or rather that of my sitting apparatus, a Brooks saddle is a lot like a marriage. It takes time, effort, faith, and energy to make it a good fit. Maybe luck too. Although people talk (endlessly) about "breaking in" a Brooks saddle, I am not sure that the saddle doesn't do its share of breaking in the rider. In any case my rear and my saddles seem to get along pretty well. A long day for me is 4-5 hours in the saddle, and my fanny is happy to get off, but not in pain, unlike my legs.
Old 07-24-22, 03:05 PM
1964Supersport

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Supersport

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I have seven bikes and seven Brooks saddles. Three are B17s, three are C17 Cambiums, and one is a Professional. I love them all, and I categorically reject the exaggerated complaints about the break-in period. Yes, they are kind of expensive. Yes, they are kind of heavy. And yes, my shiny chrome 62-year-old ass is worth it. I won’t ride anything else, and neither should you.
Do you mind me asking if you have a preferred website where you purchased your Brooks seats ? I've been searching for a good place to order a black B17. I've read terrible reviews on 3 places I was considering. I'm undecided on Amazon , kind of feel like its a crap shoot with them. Thanks !
Old 07-24-22, 03:11 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by Greyhounds
You should never buy a bicycle part which is a standard item that virtually all LBS's (Local Bike Shop, brick and mortar shop), have in stock, from Amazon. Support your local bike shop.
Not everyone has a "local" bike shop
Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-24-22, 05:50 PM
partyanimal

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 1964Supersport
Do you mind me asking if you have a preferred website where you purchased your Brooks seats ? I've been searching for a good place to order a black B17. I've read terrible reviews on 3 places I was considering. I'm undecided on Amazon , kind of feel like its a crap shoot with them. Thanks !
Based on location in your bio, you seem to have a pretty great looking bike shop in your town. Their website isn't great but I'd bet by some of the pics, they'd carry Brooks saddles. Or they could definitely order one for you and talk you through them.
I've ordered from Amazon after I knew exactly what I wanted but I'd rather not. If I was getting something I'd never used before I'd go to a local bike shop. https://pro-velo.com/#bikes
Likes For partyanimal:
Old 07-25-22, 06:14 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
There was mention of a B17 cutout model, I need to know more about that.

Some of the Brooks models come in both standard and "carved" versions. The carved ones have the relief cutout and string laces to tie in the lower edges, but are otherwise no different.

I think they're a really cool product line, with various sizes, colors, and options offered. You can get some of wider ones (like the B67) with softened leather, and some models come with copper rivets and copper plated rails as opposed to the usual chrome plated steel.

Brooks also makes very nice bike luggage. It doesn't provide the features and performance of more modern designs and materials, but it's beautiful and quite durable.

Lots of places carry the seats. I think I found mine on sale from one of the British discount sites (Wiggle, probably). Search around and see who has the best price right now. I personally don't like eBay, so I seldom shop there, but there's nothing wrong with buying from a reputable eBay seller.

Since this will be your first Brooks, the B17 is probably a good choice. Consider replacing those rotten old tires, put on a nice seat, and you just might rekindle a love for biking.
Old 07-25-22, 09:58 PM
1964Supersport

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Supersport

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
I have both the Brooks Team Professional and the B17. For some reason the Professional feels more comfortable. If I was to order the B17 again, I would order the one with the copper rivets. One of the rivets on the B17 is not flush. With copper rivets, there is an easy remedy. I don't know what do do about the situation with the B17.
I would of thought the warranty would have covered that.
Old 07-25-22, 10:31 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
I understand the desire to get the best deal, but in the end, going through anguish to save $10-20, is it really worth it?

Amazon (their own) sells the Brooks and the price is higher than a few years ago. The seller is reliable and they have a great return policy. I say go for it
Old 07-26-22, 12:34 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
going through anguish to save $10-$20, is it really worth it?
The "anguish" of quickly ordering from the comfort of your home for the exact product in the exact model and color shipped to your door for up to 80 percent less than local retail?

"Anguish"?

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-26-22, 01:45 AM
daniell

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
I would of thought the warranty would have covered that.
I am in the US. I ordered from Chainreaction in England. It must be about 3 years old.
Old 07-26-22, 07:36 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
One of the rivets on the B17 is not flush.
Take it to a cobbler and have them fix it.
Old 07-26-22, 10:04 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
The "anguish" of quickly ordering from the comfort of your home for the exact product in the exact model and color shipped to your door for up to 80 percent less than local retail?

"Anguish"?

I believe you did not comprehend the context of my post. All good. no biggie
Old 07-28-22, 01:54 AM
daniell

I contacted Brooks asking how to remedy the rivet that wasn't flush. They advised me to hit the rivet with a small hammer. I am still not convinced that would work on steel rivets.
Old 07-28-22, 12:53 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
I have a silly question. When looking at pictures of the underside of New Brooks seats I don't see the bracket that bolts to the seat post. Do new seats come with that bracket or am I suppose to use the one from my old seat ?

This is a picture of the seat that is on my bike. Do I need to reuse the bracket with a new Brooks B17 ? Will there be any fitmit problems ? Sorry for the questions, this is my first time doing a seat swap. Thanks !
Try using the one from your old saddle. Saddles aren’t usually sold with a new clamp, It sounds like you will be reusing the old seat post as well. Not a problem, just give those old parts a try - should be nothing wrong with them,
Old 07-28-22, 02:27 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
I contacted Brooks asking how to remedy the rivet that wasn't flush. They advised me to hit the rivet with a small hammer. I am still not convinced that would work on steel rivets.
Why not? Brooks should know, they have been making them for a very long time. It all depends on knowing how, and where to hit the rivet.
Old 07-29-22, 04:13 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by phughes
Why not? Brooks should know, they have been making them for a very long time. It all depends on knowing how, and where to hit the rivet.
What you say makes sense. However, the person giving the advice may be the secretary. I would think that I would need something underneath the rivet while I am hammering it. I have a somewhat related problem with a stainless steel pot with a riveted handle. The handle is loose. My research informs me that I would need to support the rivet on one side while hammering.
Old 07-29-22, 04:40 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I tried a B17 narrow for quite a while. It was the most uncomfortable anchor weight I have ever had on a bicycle. I never like the looks of them, but finally gave one a try. Never again.
Old 07-29-22, 05:11 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
I have a number of B17 and B66 NOS saddles for sale.
$140, shipped to CONUS.
They have been in storage all this time, so they would require a good Proofhide application and a lot of riding.

Let me know,
rusty
Old 07-29-22, 05:14 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Thanks so much for the explanation, I plan on ordering a new one soon. Not long ago I brought my 64 Supersport out of storage. I had to replace the rear tube so the tire would stay up. Both tires have dry rot, installed in 1983. I was testing my back to see if it would tolerate riding. I seem to be doing ok so I"m going to replace both tires next week. Next I want to replace my seat with a Brooks. Just trying to make sure I order the right model so I don't have to return it. There was mention of a B17 cutout model, I need to know more about that. If my size makes a difference I'm 5'7 165 lbs. Thanks !
at the risk of giving advice that wasn't asked for, if you replace the rear tube you will want to consider replacing the front. If the front tire goes out on you while you're riding creates a bad situation.
Old 07-29-22, 05:15 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Like others, I love brooks. I've had five of them. The only one that did not break in quickly was a B-17 narrow. I still have it and am considering selling it.
Old 07-29-22, 10:18 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
What you say makes sense. However, the person giving the advice may be the secretary. I would think that I would need something underneath the rivet while I am hammering it. I have a somewhat related problem with a stainless steel pot with a riveted handle. The handle is loose. My research informs me that I would need to support the rivet on one side while hammering.
Makes sense to me, but I have worked with rivets. You're making it too hard.
Old 07-29-22, 01:11 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
If you want a Brooks, get a Brooks!

If you want a tensioned leather saddle...
Berthoud - France
Brooks - UK
Gyes (often marketed under the stencil brands BLB, Cardiff, Dia Compe, Fenix, Fyxation, Lekker, Origin8, Papillionaire, Shinola, Sobdeall, Spa, Torelli, Velo Orange, Zimbale, etc.) - Taiwan
Ideale - France
Lepper - Netherlands
Nasiruddin (Persons-Majestic) - India [sold out? discontinued? MIA?]
Rivet - AFAIK manufactured in Taiwan by Gyes but to their own proprietary designs
Selle Italia - Italy
Selle Anatomica - USA
Selle Monte Grappa - Italy
Tabor - Portugal