Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Two Rouvy rides now

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-22, 11:12 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
I did try some time ago, but found Rouvy buggy and their support useless.
No support for the hood buttons on my Kickr Bike and I didn't like the cartoon nature of the rides.

Barry
surprised to see you write about the cartoon nature of the Rouvy rides. what do you mean exactly? all the rides i did were video on teh road. only the avatars were cartoon like, and not there for all rides. maybe you can turn this off completely but i actually like them when adding other riders to the ride.

the only apps i have used with a cartoon like look are zwift and rgt.
Old 01-12-22, 11:45 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
surprised to see you write about the cartoon nature of the Rouvy rides. what do you mean exactly? all the rides i did were video on teh road. only the avatars were cartoon like, and not there for all rides. maybe you can turn this off completely but i actually like them when adding other riders to the ride.

the only apps i have used with a cartoon like look are zwift and rgt.
I tried Rouvy on Apple TV in Dec 2019. I don't recall any live video (shot with a camera) rides, just computer rendered versions of real rides.
Maybe Rouvy has added Camera footage rides since then?

Barry
Old 01-12-22, 01:19 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I tried Rouvy on Apple TV in Dec 2019. I don't recall any live video (shot with a camera) rides, just computer rendered versions of real rides.
Maybe Rouvy has added Camera footage rides since then?

Barry
Sounds like you've confused Rouvy and RGT. Rouvy has had video from real world routes since its inception.
Likes For surak:
Old 01-13-22, 09:24 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Never used RGT. my recollection was the Rouvy was a photo realistic(ish) 3D rendering. Much like a 1st person shooter.
it certainly was not full motion, 4K, actual video. I guess I’ll have to revisit the product.

Thanks

Barry
Old 01-13-22, 09:51 AM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
I did try some time ago, but found Rouvy buggy and their support useless.
No support for the hood buttons on my Kickr Bike and I didn't like the cartoon nature of the rides.

Barry
I think you are confusing Rouvy with an other app. As Rouvy is a video cycling app.
The only app that uses the top right hood buttons is Wahoo’s own SYSTM. THe left had hood is for tilt only.
Old 01-13-22, 10:01 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
I think you are confusing Rouvy with an other app. As Rouvy is a video cycling app.
The only app that uses the top right hood buttons is Wahoo’s own SYSTM. THe left had hood is for tilt only.
Ed,
Fulgaz uses the hood buttons for “slope scaling”.
its quite convenient for on the fly changes.

Barry
Old 01-13-22, 10:34 AM
Ed Wiser

Ed,
Fulgaz uses the hood buttons for “slope scaling”.
its quite convenient for on the fly changes.

Barry
As I have said earlier you can change to different gearing on the fly with the Wahoo Kickr app.

I just open the wahoo app and select a different gearing profile while riding. No use to change the reality setting.
Old 01-13-22, 11:17 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Ed,
When using FulGaz (or any other app) with your Kickr bike, what platform are you running the App on?
Are you using an ANT+ USB dongle ?

Barry
Old 01-13-22, 12:00 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Could I ask what function the top right hood buttons have in SYSTM? I'll give them a prod next time I do a SYSTM workout!
Old 01-13-22, 12:58 PM
Ed Wiser

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Could I ask what function the top right hood buttons have in SYSTM? I'll give them a prod next time I do a SYSTM workout!
read this

https://support.thesufferfest.com/hc...hoo-Kickr-Bike
Old 01-13-22, 01:40 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Never used RGT. my recollection was the Rouvy was a photo realistic(ish) 3D rendering. Much like a 1st person shooter.
it certainly was not full motion, 4K, actual video. I guess I’ll have to revisit the product.

Thanks

Barry
Even in 2017 the Rouvy homepage showed that they were using real video. You are definitely confusing it with another app.

https://web.archive.org/web/20171017.../rouvy.com/en/
Old 01-13-22, 02:06 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

OK... got it

Old 01-13-22, 02:25 PM
PeteHski

Ah thanks for the link. Unfortunately this extra functionality only appears to work with the iOS App and not with Mac OSX or Windows. That's a bit of a shame because I really like the idea of adjusting the overall intensity from the RH hood buttons. Although I think switching ERG/Level modes on those inner hood buttons would be a major issue for me as I often press those accidentally when holding the hoods.

The note about max cadence of 130 rpm at the bottom of the link is interesting. I didn't know about this limitation and did the cadence builds workout the other day and topped out consistently at around 153 rpm. There was no resistance lockdown as mentioned in the article, so looks like they have changed the software. It now just flat lines at 153 rpm even if you are pedalling faster. Sorry a bit off-topic!
Old 01-20-22, 09:02 AM
spelger

So after riding a few Rouvy rides now i wonder if anyone knows why the animated rider (me) has this strange desire to do pushups while on the bike. Somewhat annoying. Also what i find annoying is that when passing a rider they move the passed rider toward the middle of the screen blocking the view. weird choice, it is not what happens when i pass in real life.
Old 01-20-22, 10:30 AM
Ed Wiser

Originally Posted by spelger
So after riding a few Rouvy rides now i wonder if anyone knows why the animated rider (me) has this strange desire to do pushups while on the bike. Somewhat annoying. Also what i find annoying is that when passing a rider they move the passed rider toward the middle of the screen blocking the view. weird choice, it is not what happens when i pass in real life.
This means you are applying a higher power to the petals. Say going from 1.0 w/kg to 2.0 w/kg you will see the rider raise up on the bike

The animated riders ride a narrow path on the video and sometimes there isn’t enough room to pass the rider in front of you.
in settings you have three choices of where the camera should be

Old 01-20-22, 08:04 PM
spelger

This means you are applying a higher power to the petals. Say going from 1.0 w/kg to 2.0 w/kg you will see the rider raise up on the bike

The animated riders ride a narrow path on the video and sometimes there isn’t enough room to pass the rider in front of you.
in settings you have three choices of where the camera should be
I paid a lot of attention to this on this last ride. I really can't see the correlation. the pushups were so random. it is really a strange "feature," i'd rather not have it since it tells me nothing.
Old 01-20-22, 08:56 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
You can set the view so that you don't see your avatar, just the open road.
Old 01-21-22, 08:22 AM
spelger

I actually like seeing the avatar. Helps me push harder when seeing the other riders. maybe only mine turns off? i'll try tonight.
Old 01-25-22, 06:21 PM
70Degrees

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would appreciate any feedback from Rouvy users who have experienced technical limitations or problems with downloading routes and/or frame rates and video resolution through Apple TV. I haven't tried Rouvy yet, but I'm wondering whether there's any chance I'll experience problems using Apple TV. I know, I know -- do the trial period. I will, but just wanted to see what others had to say. I've only got 100 Mb/s download speed and the post-2018 4K Apple TV. I didn't want to run things off of a desktop or laptop with a separate GPU if possible.
Old 01-25-22, 09:32 PM
spelger

I can't offer up any negatives at this point. i've switched subscriptions from zwift to rouvy now and am happy. my internet speed is only 50Mbps and i do not download, i only stream it and have had no problems so far. picture quality is really quite nice. so far the best quality was a ride i did in russia just today. probably just appeared that way because it was in a race and there were other riders very close to the camera. needless to say image quality was really nice for that ride.
Old 01-26-22, 06:43 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by 70Degrees
Would appreciate any feedback from Rouvy users who have experienced technical limitations or problems with downloading routes and/or frame rates and video resolution through Apple TV. I haven't tried Rouvy yet, but I'm wondering whether there's any chance I'll experience problems using Apple TV. I know, I know -- do the trial period. I will, but just wanted to see what others had to say. I've only got 100 Mb/s download speed and the post-2018 4K Apple TV. I didn't want to run things off of a desktop or laptop with a separate GPU if possible.
No issues here streaming Rouvy on an old (2013) iMac with 35 Mbps download speed. You don't actually need a superfast broadband connection unless sharing bandwidth with multiple users. I can stream 8k video to my TV on this 35 Mbps connection without a problem. So 100 Mbps on a 4K Apple TV should be easy.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-30-22, 09:55 AM
onekgguy
Retired

Bikes: Collage Super, Eisentraut Ltd, Sarma Shaman (fatty), Giant Revolt Advanced 0 (gravel), Orbea Oiz M20 (mtb)

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Hey, glad to see the follow thru on your "journey" here, thx much. You've brought interesting points to consider. I have to smile at how far things have come from the days when I was simply glad to watch a video of a ride while sloggin' in the basement offseason. I used to have a problem if the youtube recording was done w/ a helmet cam and the rider turned to look at the scenery - really bad on rollers, I'd swerve... I'll be sticking to Zwift for a while, not bored with it yet and glad to see new content & features starting to increase. Still a bit interested in your bug observations - some seem to focus on "content defects" like Surrey elevation, while you've also mentioned "delivery defects" like client software glitches. Since I moved to a current iPad (Air, 4th gen) the software performance has been trouble free over several releases (was not the case on the old iPad). Very funny about reacting to the cues on Rouvy. Funny. Actually thinking that I might like the abstraction layer provided by the 'animated world' just to keep my nerves at bay. Early in the days of helicopter simulators, I've heard that the mismatch on video cues versus physical actuators caused a lot of very tough pilots to puke in the simulators. Keep your G's down, OK ? <snicker>
I've got quite a catalog of videos from my rides to watch while training indoors. Here's a link if you're interested.

Kevin g
Old 01-30-22, 08:11 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by onekgguy
I've got quite a catalog of videos from my rides to watch while training indoors. Here's a link if you're interested.

Kevin g
QUITE a library! Thanks for sharing it.
Old 01-30-22, 08:13 PM
onekgguy
Retired

Bikes: Collage Super, Eisentraut Ltd, Sarma Shaman (fatty), Giant Revolt Advanced 0 (gravel), Orbea Oiz M20 (mtb)

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
QUITE a library! Thanks for sharing it.
You're welcome!

Kevin g
Old 04-15-22, 01:18 PM
spelger

Yesterday i went on my bazillionth Rouvy ride now. still liking it. what i wanted to comment on were the number of cyclists that happened to be on the road at the time the route was filmed. most of my rides have been in Europe but this had the most ever, probably on the order of 50 riders or so. looked for number tags in case some event had been going on but never could spot one. This ride was in Israel just west of Jerusalem and was a very nice ride.

also earlier in the week i rode something called "Hell of the North" or something like that...that ride had about 70 virtual riders on it. the most active ride i've ever done. easy ride but in real life probably much more difficult, lot of cobbles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.