Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Sirrus X 4.0 VS Trek FX Sport 5

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-22, 02:44 PM
Flipper_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I've been narrowing things down lately and really think that the Sirrux X is what I want. I need to bump up the speed and intensity for some rides from the Comfort bike I already have, want something that can venture on to the lightest well groomed singletrack and not turn into a **** show but it's main focus will be limestone/rail trails of mixed to good quality, spinning it out. Both of these run 38/40 tires, it appears that the Trek is the better value if you consider Carbon to be a weight and compliance advantage but the future shock handlebar suspension is intriguing and I think it could make a big difference as the roughness increases.

Highlights:
Sirrus X 4.0- 20mm handlebar suspension, carbon fork, Deore 1X11 drivetrain with close spaced ratios
Trek FX Sport 5- Full carbon, partial GRX (Crank/Derailleur) 1X11 drivetrain with close spaced ratios

Want:
Hybrid style because it's harder
Compliance for days but no front suspension fork
Fat tires
Light weight but anything in the 24 Lb and lower areas should be fine

Do we like Trek Carbon these days? Do we like future shock 1.5? Is Future shock 1.5 as maintenance intensive as cheap coil shocks? These bikes are more similar than different but the FX sport 5 is full carbon (instead of just the fork). Seems to me that the Specialized might actually be a better fit, bit more upright but the extra 500 dollars for the Trek seems to be a great deal considering the full carbon and GRX groupset. I hope to take these bikes on singletrack of the easiest type for perhaps 10-20 percent of their riding.

Last edited by Flipper_; 07-14-22 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-22-22, 10:20 AM
Flipper_

Ok, so, to make a long story short and assuming that both of them would be quick and comfortable on rail trails, etc, which would be better for very light singletrack?
  • The Trek FX Sport 5 with it's full Carbon Frame
  • The Specialized Sirrus 4.0 with it's 20mm of handlebar suspension
Old 07-27-22, 08:07 AM
DarkSkyHUnter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I would look at the Marin DSX 2. It's a 1x12 (10-51) with a 42T chainring. The geometry is better (more aggressive) on this bike for gravel and especially for single track. Wider tire clearance (up to 55mm). The bike cost less, leaving you with more cash to customize accessories and components to your liking. You can even add a dropper post.
Old 07-27-22, 08:27 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Carbon... does not mean that it may be potentially "compliant" the way you're thinking. The stiffest bikes I have ever ridden were Carbon.

I had a Trek FX 7.3 last year. Loved it. The long chainstays and comfy upright riding position felt nice while still being decently fast. I eventually outgrew its performance after a few months of riding and eventually moved on to a true performance drop bar bike. I recommend to buy used if going the hybrid route, with the intention of eventually upping the performance for real.
Old 07-27-22, 04:16 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Carbon... does not mean that it may be potentially "compliant" the way you're thinking. The stiffest bikes I have ever ridden were Carbon.

I had a Trek FX 7.3 last year. Loved it. The long chainstays and comfy upright riding position felt nice while still being decently fast. I eventually outgrew its performance after a few months of riding and eventually moved on to a true performance drop bar bike. I recommend to buy used if going the hybrid route, with the intention of eventually upping the performance for real.
Have a 2014 I have been to lazy to list......It's just a little big for me (It was free) but it seems like a really nice comfortable bike.
Old 10-24-22, 11:22 AM
mark.cannon101

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flipper_
I've been narrowing things down lately and really think that the Sirrux X is what I want. I need to bump up the speed and intensity for some rides from the Comfort bike I already have, want something that can venture on to the lightest well groomed singletrack and not turn into a **** show but it's main focus will be limestone/rail trails of mixed to good quality, spinning it out. Both of these run 38/40 tires, it appears that the Trek is the better value if you consider Carbon to be a weight and compliance advantage but the future shock handlebar suspension is intriguing and I think it could make a big difference as the roughness increases.

Highlights:
Sirrus X 4.0- 20mm handlebar suspension, carbon fork, Deore 1X11 drivetrain with close spaced ratios
Trek FX Sport 5- Full carbon, partial GRX (Crank/Derailleur) 1X11 drivetrain with close spaced ratios

Want:
Hybrid style because it's harder
Compliance for days but no front suspension fork
Fat tires
Light weight but anything in the 24 Lb and lower areas should be fine

Do we like Trek Carbon these days? Do we like future shock 1.5? Is Future shock 1.5 as maintenance intensive as cheap coil shocks? These bikes are more similar than different but the FX sport 5 is full carbon (instead of just the fork). Seems to me that the Specialized might actually be a better fit, bit more upright but the extra 500 dollars for the Trek seems to be a great deal considering the full carbon and GRX groupset. I hope to take these bikes on singletrack of the easiest type for perhaps 10-20 percent of their riding.
I am debating these two as well. What did you go with? Thanks
Old 10-24-22, 03:10 PM
Flipper_

Originally Posted by mark.cannon101
I am debating these two as well. What did you go with? Thanks
I actually backed off and decided to buy a motorcycle instead, then got too busy to buy that so I haven't done anything. I also have stopped riding on the groomed limestone trail a few months ago and just hit the root and bump infested MTB trail with my Trek Fuel EX8 instead a couple times a week. I was actually leaning back towards the Trek FX5 Sport for the carbon fiber and the gearing when things went sideways.
Old 01-21-23, 11:31 PM
Awesomeguy

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

what point did you realize you outgrew the fx 7.3? Was it running out of gears , or not enough grips , etc.. please be specific ?
Old 01-22-23, 01:46 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
what point did you realize you outgrew the fx 7.3? Was it running out of gears , or not enough grips , etc.. please be specific ?
It mostly had to do with the frame itself and the way I fit on it (over time, adapting to a more aggressive fit as I continued to change and Improve as a cyclist. Main issue was not grooving with flat bars all that well due to a prior arm injury.. but either way, I was destined to eventually move on to somewhere with shorter chainstays which allowed you to balance yourself with more weight over the front center of the bike (longer stem and drop bars...) Once I put a 130mm stem on the Trek, I felt like I simply grew out the design of that frame
​​​​​​
Old 01-22-23, 06:44 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
I have a FX Sport 5 and run Pirelli Cinurato Gravel H 40mm tires on it and it is a very nice ride. It rides very nicely on the road and on hard packed or grass type ground. I also upgrade the seat post to a carbon post to add more comfort.

Old 01-30-23, 06:21 PM
Awesomeguy

It mostly had to do with the frame itself and the way I fit on it (over time, adapting to a more aggressive fit as I continued to change and Improve as a cyclist. Main issue was not grooving with flat bars all that well due to a prior arm injury.. but either way, I was destined to eventually move on to somewhere with shorter chainstays which allowed you to balance yourself with more weight over the front center of the bike (longer stem and drop bars...) Once I put a 130mm stem on the Trek, I felt like I simply grew out the design of that frame
​​​​​​
I have a fx3 and is similar to fx7.3 you had. I tried to removed spacers / flipped the stem (without removing spacer) I didn’t find it comfortable, with that said, do you think I should stay away from road bike ?
Old 02-07-23, 01:03 PM
Awesomeguy

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I have a FX Sport 5 and run Pirelli Cinurato Gravel H 40mm tires on it and it is a very nice ride. It rides very nicely on the road and on hard packed or grass type ground. I also upgrade the seat post to a carbon post to add more comfort.

I beleive in a prior post, you had stated, you/your significant other, had the fx sport 2021, that is road oriented, how do the current and old sport version feel different to you?
Old 02-07-23, 01:32 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

I beleive in a prior post, you had stated, you/your significant other, had the fx sport 2021, that is road oriented, how do the current and old sport version feel different to you?
Her bike is a size smaller, so I can't get a full feel for them, but everything is basically the same, except the wheel axle type. Her bike has the standard thru axle, the 2022 has the Thru Skew , which is basically a 9mm standard quick release, but the tightening tightening nut does not come off the bike, so it acts as a sort of thru axle. The 5 rides very nice however.

This is her bike

Waiting on some hub caps to put on the Aeolus Pro 37's so I can use those wheels. So when I have those wheels on, then I will put a smaller cassette on as I don't have hills to worry about, I think I have a 14-28 or a 12-25 in a box , can't remember which ready to go. Pirelli 40mm tires so super comfy. Oh, and I had a set of Shimano Ultegra Ice rotors, so I put those on, since I don't have my Shimano road bike anymore. I moved everything over to SRAM AXS, which I could use these rotors on it, but figured I will run the SRAM rotors down first.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 02-07-23 at 04:09 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-20-23, 07:13 AM
Spacemaster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I like this bike so much
Old 02-20-23, 07:28 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
This is her bike...
I really like that pair of pictures. Old bike...old Ridgeline. New bike...new Ridgeline.
Old 02-20-23, 11:05 AM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I really like that pair of pictures. Old bike...old Ridgeline. New bike...new Ridgeline.

LOL... Did not even thing about that. Good eye.

Old 12-26-23, 04:33 PM
Awesomeguy

WHen you say you outgrew its performance ? What do you mean by that ? Did it not have enough harder gears ?
Old 12-27-23, 08:45 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Scott CR1 SL, Huffy RedRock (first bike), Aostimotor S17 ebike

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 127 Posts
WHen you say you outgrew its performance ? What do you mean by that ? Did it not have enough harder gears ?
Having a 7.3 myself, I'm assuming he just wanted to go faster by sacrificing a bit of comfort. There are plenty of gears in 7.3, but with the weight, position and tires, you can only go so fast.

I'm keeping mine though, it is a good all-weather/terrain bike and on nice days I'll take my "performance" bike.