Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

first impressions: from clipless to clips

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-06, 04:00 PM
astrx
anti-sheep

Bikes: generic lugged track frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i hate it. i decided to try out some clips for the first time (mks pedals/cages christophe straps) because my eggbeaters are broke and need to be sent in for repair and i cant live 4 days or whatever turn around time they have without a bike. heres the verdict:

pluses:
i can wear any shoes
i have had one very scary emergency stop (i ride breakless) where i uncliped, i doubt this would happen with the cages

minuses:
harder to get in
harder to get out
i always feel like immabout to pull out
now all i seem to want to do is push on the pedals, definitely not power throughout the whole arch of motion

after about a week i should get my beaters back, then ill decide if i should sell the beaters or sell the mks
Old 06-28-06, 06:11 PM
drac_vamp
hullo.

Bikes: 74 paramount track, 80s maruishi track, 70s chesini track.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the minuses should all be corrected with time and proper technique! you can get in and out easier by wearing slimmer, less bulky shoes and also by not switching shoes around so much when you ride. i try to always ride with the same shoes, that way i dont keep having to adjust the straps tighter and looser. if you feel like you are about to pull out you might have clips that are too small, not allowing your foot to stand properly on the pedal. also, your straps might not be tight enough. as far as the power transfer, that is something that can be corrected with A-running straps and clips of proper size and tightness, and by B-getting used to the "feel" of the ride and also perhaps improving your pedaling technique. the reason it feels less powerful is because you are using your legs more now and there is a larger degree of precision needed --- whereas the safety net of those clip-in shoes made it too easy on yourself.

stick with the clips and straps for another week! guaranteed convert!
Old 06-28-06, 06:16 PM
el twe
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny, I think I just converted from clips and straps to clipless...
Old 06-28-06, 06:22 PM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drac_vamp
the minuses should all be corrected with time and proper technique! you can get in and out easier by wearing slimmer, less bulky shoes and also by not switching shoes around so much when you ride. i try to always ride with the same shoes, that way i dont keep having to adjust the straps tighter and looser. if you feel like you are about to pull out you might have clips that are too small, not allowing your foot to stand properly on the pedal. also, your straps might not be tight enough. as far as the power transfer, that is something that can be corrected with A-running straps and clips of proper size and tightness, and by B-getting used to the "feel" of the ride and also perhaps improving your pedaling technique. the reason it feels less powerful is because you are using your legs more now and there is a larger degree of precision needed --- whereas the safety net of those clip-in shoes made it too easy on yourself.

stick with the clips and straps for another week! guaranteed convert!

Clips aren't suppiosed to be easy to get out of slim shoes with smooth soles make them even less effective. Road clips and straps where designed to be used with cleats which make it impposible to pull you foot out without loosening the strap. What you call proper technique is actually really really bad technique and just means limiting your pedal stroke by one of the weakest muscles in your leg... this had all been covered ad nauseum before anyway.

If everyone is a garaunteed convert given enough time why did the vast majority of serious riders switch from clips to clipless?
Old 06-28-06, 06:30 PM
crushkilldstroy
Hello.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
If everyone is a garaunteed convert given enough time why did the vast majority of serious riders switch from clips to clipless?
those bandwagon hopping dumbasses.
Old 06-28-06, 07:19 PM
drolldurham
ogre

Bikes: surly steamroller fixie, '90 cannondale SR 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i tried that once (clipless -> clips), also ended up going back. i've got big feet (size 13), so I ordered some X-Large MKS clips, but they just didn't do it for me. yeah it was conveinient, and after some practice it was easy to clip in, but I missed the feeling of really being anchored to the pedals. now if crank bros. just made a pedal akin to the shimano M324 (with a platform on one side), i'd be oh so happy.....
Old 06-29-06, 06:47 AM
Aeroplane
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think one of the main inequalities is that when people "try out" clips, they are usually doing it with really crappy straps, and thus don't get quite the experience you should. But, when people try out clipless, even the cheapest clipless setups offer essentially the same feeling as the most expensive ones, so it's easier to get into. Too sense.
Old 06-29-06, 06:57 AM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aeroplane
I think one of the main inequalities is that when people "try out" clips, they are usually doing it with really crappy straps, and thus don't get quite the experience you should. But, when people try out clipless, even the cheapest clipless setups offer essentially the same feeling as the most expensive ones, so it's easier to get into. Too sense.
I think most people use clips before clipless though. It's usually a question of going back to thier old clips & straps for one reason or another. Also the choice of pedals and shoes has a much larger effect on the feel of clips&straps then the difference between even cheapo nylon straps and the fanciest leather ones.
Old 06-29-06, 07:02 AM
jessefive
Person Person

Bikes: LeJune Track, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put maybe 2 years into my clips and straps before I switched to clipless. When I switched back briefly, I couldn't believe how much I hated it. I rode for about a week, and had to put the clipless back on. I can't believe how I managed to ride for so long with clips!
Old 06-29-06, 07:58 AM
shishi

Bikes: Sparton(custon track), Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me clips work best when you actually tighten the straps.
Old 06-29-06, 07:59 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by shishi
For me clips work best when you actually tighten the straps.
plus one. i reach down and tighten within a few strokes. i also reach down and loosen when i'm slowing to get off. i can pull out if i need to, but i'm not gonna pull out accidentally.
Old 06-29-06, 08:04 AM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
plus one. i reach down and tighten within a few strokes. i also reach down and loosen when i'm slowing to get off. i can pull out if i need to, but i'm not gonna pull out accidentally.

Indeed you shouldn't be able to slip your foot in when the straps are anywhere near tight enough. They work even better if you tighten them so you can't get out without loosening too. But thats a bit of a hassle which is why all the roadies switched to clipless.
Old 06-29-06, 08:11 AM
mattsimbols
slow rollin sucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't use cheap straps. i've only seen one type of christophe straps and they are garbage. quality straps make a world of difference.
Old 06-29-06, 08:15 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
Indeed you shouldn't be able to slip your foot in when the straps are anywhere near tight enough. They work even better if you tighten them so you can't get out without loosening too. But thats a bit of a hassle which is why all the roadies switched to clipless.
right, but i see a lot of people with loose straps who i'm guessing are either uncomfortable with tightening them, or don't realize that they're supposed to be all snug-like.
Old 06-29-06, 08:38 AM
chicagoamdream
meet the mets

Bikes: Raleigh conversion (hours spent making it look like a Pista); Porter Track, Samson Track, Leto Roadie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a revelation to me when I realized that you don't have to thread the strap through all of the little slots in the buckle to keep the strap on your foot...if set up correctly, you can just feed the strap over the serrated teeth, which makes it easy to reach down, pull the strap, and tighten. Just flicking the buckle loosens them enough to get out.

Maybe everyone knows this; I'd generally switched to clipless by the time I'd figured it out, but now I've got a pair of clips/straps on my around-town bike.
Old 06-29-06, 09:31 AM
drac_vamp
hullo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
46 x 17 - please come and explain clips and straps to poor dutret again; thanks!
Old 06-29-06, 10:22 AM
onetwentyeight 
blah

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
can we just copy/paste the last thread over into this one?
Old 06-29-06, 10:25 AM
drac_vamp
hullo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that'll work too!
Old 06-29-06, 11:42 AM
LóFarkas
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clips and straps only really work if you tighten down the strap pretty effing tight. It will still be inferior to clipless, but passably good.
However, if you tighten the strap, good luck when your front wheel slips out from under you in a corner on wet pavement. Mine did 3 days ago, and I managed to put my foot down and stay upright (I use SPD clipless). I was astonished that I clipped out so effing fast, instinctively. Not the first time, either.

BTW, somebody tell me WTF diffference "high quality" straps make. I only ever had cheapos. You tighten them, they stay that way. That's about what I expect from any strap... What else can a $100 leather double hipster jewel do?
Old 06-29-06, 12:11 PM
hyperRevue
King Among Runaways

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Pista, Cannondale Track, Soma Pake, Schwinn Breeze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LóFarkas

BTW, somebody tell me WTF diffference "high quality" straps make. I only ever had cheapos. You tighten them, they stay that way. That's about what I expect from any strap... What else can a $100 leather double hipster jewel do?
The double-straps offer more coverage, which makes them feel tighter and more secure.
Also, nicer straps won't stretch our or break as quickly.
Old 06-29-06, 12:23 PM
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
High quality = laminated and often a double-strap. Not really hipster, unless you consider track racers who use them for better foot retention as "hipsters" in your mass assumption.

My experince:
Errebi Double Strap, Laminated. Purchased Feb 02
Just this year, the leather started to separate near the non-crankarm side of the pedal. I used these for two solid years of commuting. For the past two years, they see recreational/errands use only as I ride different pedals at the track and haven't been able to commute like I used to. I prefer the versatility of shoe wear clips/straps offers. I had a set of Silva's prior to these and blew through them in 4 months.

I had two sets of ATAC pedals stolen from my bike when I commuted. No one wanted my clips/straps thankfully.
Old 06-29-06, 12:44 PM
monkey

Bikes: Gios track,Miyata roadie, GT mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After one of my cheapo straps broke in traffic,
I got the "hipster version" straps really quick.
[165], sorry 'bout the time's, I needed something
for the track.
Old 06-29-06, 12:47 PM
Aeroplane
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What else can a $100 leather double hipster jewel do?
I would hope that it would feel better. That's one of the main reasons I don't like my (admittedly cheap) straps; they're just uncomfortable.
Old 06-29-06, 12:48 PM
LóFarkas
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, of course expensive leather straps last longer. But to make that longevity pay, they'd have to last 10+ times as long as a cheapo nylon, cuz they are 10 times more expensive. I don't think they do. My cheapies lasted like 2000 miles, and that's because my immensely wide shoes wore them down quickly. You won't get 30,000 miles out of a leather strap, I feel.

Let's just say you guys like the looks and be done with it. "quality straps make a world of difference" is just BS. Maybe doubles make a noticeable difference as opposed to singles.

"I prefer the versatility of shoe wear clips/straps offers." I guessed that much. One has to make a compromise.

Edit:
Originally Posted by Aeroplane
I would hope that it would feel better. That's one of the main reasons I don't like my (admittedly cheap) straps; they're just uncomfortable.
Huh? The strap doesn't really even touch your shoes, does it? And still, its shoes. Maybe doubles are comfier. But most prolly it's the cage that matters, and the shoes you're wearing. I'd be willing to bet my left testicle that a leather single strap is not comfier than a nylon.
Old 06-29-06, 12:50 PM
hyperRevue
King Among Runaways

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Pista, Cannondale Track, Soma Pake, Schwinn Breeze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, of course expensive leather straps last longer. But to make that longevity pay, they'd have to last 10+ times as long as a cheapo nylon, cuz they are 10 times more expensive. I don't think they do. My cheapies lasted like 2000 miles, and that's because my immensely wide shoes wore them down quickly. You won't get 30,000 miles out of a leather strap, I feel.

Let's just say you guys like the looks and be done with it. "quality straps make a world of difference" is just BS. Maybe doubles make a noticeable difference as opposed to singles.

"I prefer the versatility of shoe wear clips/straps offers." I guessed that much. One has to make a compromise.
Quality straps = double straps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.