Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rainwear for the legs/feet--what do you use?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rainwear for the legs/feet--what do you use?

Old 01-09-07, 09:24 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Rainwear for the winter/spring--what do you use?

So I'm guessing that a warm spring/winter is going to bring some rainy conditions in the next few months, and with the tax refund coming I started thinking about any clothes I might need. I really don't have much in the way of rain gear besides a PI Zephyrr jacket and some cheap-a$$ performance brand nylon pants that aren't waterproof anyway.

What do you guys wear in the rain? I'd be looking for something more form-fitting/cycling-specific if possible...

Last edited by DrPete; 01-09-07 at 09:24 AM. Reason: title
Old 01-09-07, 09:30 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't worry about the lower parts too much, 'cause they usually get wet from sweat anyway.

Upper body, I have a plastic overcoat kind of thing. It's just simple plastic, nothing special. Not breathable or anything.

A buddy of mine just got and highly recommends the Assos ClimaJet but at nearly $200, it's a bit steep for what I'd use it for (it only rains ~December through ~March around here, and not constantly...usually some breaks to get out riding). If you plan to ride in the rain a lot it might be worth it.
Old 01-09-07, 09:50 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by nother]A buddy of mine just got and highly recommends the [URL=https://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp?PART_NUM_SUB='6355-00
Assos ClimaJet[/URL] but at nearly $200, it's a bit steep for what I'd use it for (it only rains ~December through ~March around here, and not constantly...usually some breaks to get out riding). If you plan to ride in the rain a lot it might be worth it.
i've got a climajet vest, and it's fantastic. that said, i got my vest for free. not sure if i'd fork out $$$.¢¢ for one.

it does the job, remarkably well, but it's kind of delicate.

i'd suggest spending that kind of money on an assos intermediate jacket. not exactly water proof, but SO versatile, and combined with a good baselayer you can cope with most wet and cold conditions above freezing.

now, to get to Pete's question: i ride in wet conditions quite a bit over in NL. I just make sure my knees and feet are warm, and that my feet are covered in booties.

if it's really something you're concerned about, get fenders.
Old 01-09-07, 09:51 AM
munkyv22
You got Madoned!

Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.2 SL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just get wet.
Old 01-09-07, 09:55 AM
Central_Rider

Bikes: 2 Road, 1 SS/FG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it is raining hard and windy I usually just wear a 5-11 fitted t-shirt under my jersey.
Old 01-09-07, 09:57 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by botto

now, to get to Pete's question: i ride in wet conditions quite a bit over in NL. I just make sure my knees and feet are warm, and that my feet are covered in booties.

if it's really something you're concerned about, get fenders.
what kind of booties do you have? i still get damp feet even if i wear my booties. they just seem to be water resistent until they get saturated after about 30 mintues. i have a new set on order from performance that are supposed to be better in the rain. i guess we'll see.
Old 01-09-07, 09:57 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Hehe... I have a pair of PI Escalation tights that are AmFIB (which is fairly waterproof) up the shin to the knee, and those seem to work OK. I'll stick with that.

Our team is wearing Giordana this year and they have a nice-looking rain jacket that retails for $129 or something like that--a little more reasonable than Assos, and I might get a discount. Guess I'll look into that.
Old 01-09-07, 12:16 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Fenders. And plastic grocery store bags, snugged up nice and neat with a little duct tape. Looks like hell, works perfectly fine.

But really, fenders.
Old 01-09-07, 12:23 PM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a towel, kept in the back of the truck, along with a change of clothes.

And tinted rear windows.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 01-09-07, 12:26 PM
okpik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fenders and booties wont keep your feet dry, and if its 30-35 degrees F and raining you will want dry feet or you wont be out there very long I dont care how much of the rest of you is dry

two ways to keep the feet dry, neither work 100% but they do keep your feet warm enough to where it doesnt matter

1) one pair of socks, preferably wool, thin plastic grocery bags over them followed by another pair of socks

or

2) goretex socks, which you will have mixed results with, if its really pouring rain and its cold, they dont work too well

keeping the legs dry and warm isnt too tough, even el cheapo rain pants seem to do ok most times
Old 01-09-07, 12:52 PM
aicabsolut

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've avoided serious rain so far. Am/Fib toe covers have kept my feet dry through light rain and some big puddles. No problems in 70 degrees or in the low 40s. PI makes some full Am/Fib booties.

I don't understand why a lot of wind/water resistant tights don't have those panels in the back to protect against all the stuff the rear wheel spits up at you.
Old 01-09-07, 12:58 PM
Jose R
downtube shifter

Bikes: Custom DeanUSA El Diente CTI, Rich Adams Track, Johnny Coast Fixed, Argon18 Gallium Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Usually, dependent on temp:

65-80+ - feet, black regular cycling socks, no overshoes, since at these temps my feet won't freeze if wet
legs, mild pre-ride balm, thin smear of vaseline, no knee warmers

55-65 - feet, smartwool light socks, defeet overshoes
legs, pre-ride balm, thick layer of vaseline

45-55 - feet, defeet wool socks, PI overshoes
legs, warm pre-ride balm, knee warmers

In the past, I have not ridden in rain conditions below 45. For the future, I have bought a pair of iBex leg warmers made of climawool in front, which will allow me to zip over my overshoes. I also bought a pair of DeFeet wool knee warmers for when its cold but, not freezing. I have yet to try these out since its been mild in the NE.

The above is for training rides (1.5-3hrs). For short commutes and such, I have 3/4 knicker pants or rain pants available if need be.
Old 01-09-07, 02:41 PM
botto 

Originally Posted by timmhaan
what kind of booties do you have? i still get damp feet even if i wear my booties. they just seem to be water resistent until they get saturated after about 30 mintues. i have a new set on order from performance that are supposed to be better in the rain. i guess we'll see.
i've got a pair of 9 year old agu booties, and just picked up a pair of basic booties from decathlon. nothing special. all they do is delay the wet, then insualte a little. a good pair of wool socks works a charm as well.
Old 01-09-07, 02:43 PM
botto 

Originally Posted by DrPete
Hehe... I have a pair of PI Escalation tights that are AmFIB (which is fairly waterproof) up the shin to the knee, and those seem to work OK. I'll stick with that.

Our team is wearing Giordana this year and they have a nice-looking rain jacket that retails for $129 or something like that--a little more reasonable than Assos, and I might get a discount. Guess I'll look into that.
i'm sure it will be fine, but seriously, the climajet is the best in the business. it also happens to be pretty expensive, but when consider how much the material costs per yard, it's not that big of a mark up.
Old 01-09-07, 03:08 PM
sogood

Bikes: Bianchi, Ridley, GT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Find it hard to believe that there are no truly waterproof overboots.
Old 01-09-07, 03:09 PM
botto 

Originally Posted by sogood
why is that so hard to believe?

there is no such thing as a waterproof watch, and they have seals and gaskets.
Old 01-09-07, 03:44 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
this is about as close as you'll get:

Old 01-09-07, 03:57 PM
Jose R
downtube shifter

Bikes: Custom DeanUSA El Diente CTI, Rich Adams Track, Johnny Coast Fixed, Argon18 Gallium Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For rain jackets, i would think showerspass have decent offerings.

Their Protech jacket is similar to the Climajet Jacket, but at only $100.

Old 01-09-07, 04:08 PM
sogood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
why is that so hard to believe?

there is no such thing as a waterproof watch, and they have seals and gaskets.
For the amount of technology and money that has gone into cycling equipment and body gears, you'd think that someone has worked out a great bootie to waterproof your feet (waterproof used in a generic sense). Have ridden in the rain, getting wet on the body was no big deal, but a soggy pair of socks was just nagging.

Let's see, Gortex liner? Surly that'll work ok.
Old 01-09-07, 04:09 PM
sogood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
this is about as close as you'll get:

How do you cleat in?
Old 01-09-07, 04:25 PM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't generally worried about the lower body for reasons mentioned above. I bought a Gill Adrenaline jacket that has worked ok so far. Wore it on the wet Seagull century this year. About 60deg and rainy.

For the feet I have some LG booties. They do a decent job if it is cold. If it is warmer I just wear my backup shoes and let them get wet.

I guess if it were colder I would want some pants. But honestly any colder (50's or below) AND rain, I am gonna do something else.

I also like the SK Raceblades. Quick on and off, and while not full fenders it keeps the front spray off your chin and the back spray off your back (and off the guy behind you).

-D
Old 01-09-07, 04:27 PM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My waterproof ensemble:

Torso: Gill Adrenaline jacket. This is a pretty good jacket, and was only about $120 at Performance. It's made of eVent, a fabric that is supposed to be the most breatheable waterproof. Pit vents, cycling cut.

Alternate: I have a Columbia Solstice "soft-shell" that I received for Christmas. It's got a DWR coating, and I think it would keep me pretty dry in light rain, but I haven't tried it yet. Does not block all wind, but is lined, so fairly warm. Jury's still out on it, but I think that a water-repellent non-membrane soft shell could be better than a true waterproof for the typical cyclist.

Legs: I have a set of Performane Naniamo rain pants for the commute. Coated nylon, supposedly breatheable, but not really. Cheap and beats getting wet.

Recreational rides: If I'm not commuting, I wear some Adidas windfront tights ($35, Price Point). But I've not ridden them in serious rain yet.

Feet: I heard that booties leak, so I bought some Sidi Winter Storm shoes instead. These have kept my feet reasonably dry. Sometimes my socks are a little damp after a ride, but I don't know if that's sweat or leaking. Not very warm shoes, but I am satisfied with their dryness - and I don't have to mess with booties!
Old 01-09-07, 04:59 PM
okpik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sogood
well, if you searched a forum like this or others similar to it you would probably notice two things

when it comes to riding in the rain, especially a cold hard rain ie temps below 40 F that few people ride in that kind of weather very often

and few people voluntarily ride in the rain period, so waterproof feet doesnt get much attention, why should it? not much demand here for this kind of thing

you going to have other issues with the bike in weather like that too, like brakes that dont work very well, or at all when you have to ride in freezing rain if its really coming down hard
Old 01-09-07, 05:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by okpik
well, if you searched a forum like this or others similar to it you would probably notice two things

when it comes to riding in the rain, especially a cold hard rain ie temps below 40 F that few people ride in that kind of weather very often

and few people voluntarily ride in the rain period, so waterproof feet doesnt get much attention, why should it? not much demand here for this kind of thing

you going to have other issues with the bike in weather like that too, like brakes that dont work very well, or at all when you have to ride in freezing rain if its really coming down hard
Ah, good point. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. OP, you ought to post this question in the Commuting or Winter Cycling forums. That's where the folks live who voluntarily ride in the rain.
Old 01-09-07, 05:12 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
I have those. Wore 'em for a century in nasty weather last spring. Basically they were soaked through and temps around 50. I was still warm and comfy in 'em. Worked like a wet suit, I guess.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.