Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

✩ My first 400 km on 26' MTB bike in a few weeks

Old 05-08-22, 06:47 PM
  #26  
Chris Pringle
Senior Member
 
Chris Pringle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Pearl of the Pacific, Mexico
Posts: 1,307

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '06 Specialized Epic Marathon MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev View Post
It's hard to guess without testing, but none of the tires that you're bringing up are designed to put much emphasis on paved performance.
+1 on this.
Chris Pringle is offline  
Old 05-08-22, 09:45 PM
  #27  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,500 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
In 1972, freewheels with five sprockets were the norm on frames with 120mm rear dropout spacing, lugged and brazed frames were the norm but the more expensive were silver ...

either a Brooks Pro or an Ideale (spell?) leather saddle depending on where the bike was made. And I have not even started on derailleurs yet. LEDs for lights?, what is that?
Whoosh emoji

Pogačar's Colnago from last year would fit me a lot better than Eddy Merckx 1972 TdF-winning bike. I'm almost positive that by '72 EM was getting bikes custom made so I'm a bit curious about the geometry. His desired geometry was probably even closer to today's race bikes than the average pro racing bike. Personally, my opinion is that around that time everyone lost their mind and went with steeper angles and less rake and tighter clearances for no significant gains. I know I did, but I was a teenager so I claim hormonal imbalances made me do it.

Last edited by unterhausen; 05-08-22 at 10:02 PM.
unterhausen is offline  
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-09-22, 06:23 AM
  #28  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 9,304

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 685 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Whoosh emoji

Pogačar's Colnago from last year would fit me a lot better than Eddy Merckx 1972 TdF-winning bike. I'm almost positive that by '72 EM was getting bikes custom made so I'm a bit curious about the geometry. His desired geometry was probably even closer to today's race bikes than the average pro racing bike. Personally, my opinion is that around that time everyone lost their mind and went with steeper angles and less rake and tighter clearances for no significant gains. I know I did, but I was a teenager so I claim hormonal imbalances made me do it.
You have studied frame geometry, if my memory is correct you have made frames. I have no frame building or design experience. But I worked in a bike shop in 1973 as a mechanic before I went to college to get an engineering degree, so I knew the components of the era quite well. I took a year off between high school and college to make enough money to get a start in college.

Sounds like we both have experience from that era, but the two experiences are quite different skill sets and knowledge.

I worked in a Raleigh shop that also sold Gitanes, so I knew the British bikes well, but we did not sell Schwinns. The shop was big enough that we had some mechanics that knew the French bikes well so I never worked on a Gitane or Peugeot. I only worked on the Brit bikes.

A couple years ago I donated my 1972 Raleigh Gran Prix to a bike charity.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 05-09-22, 07:12 AM
  #29  
GhostRider62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2,220
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 687 Posts
I only owned 4 steel bikes from the 70-80's. A half decent Miyata, a super nice Dawes Super Galaxy, an Italian Masi Gran Criterium, and Peter Mooney (more of a century or touring geometry). I am pretty sure they all could fit 32mm wide tires in 700c. I know for sure that anyone of those would be easier to do a 400k on than a mountain bike. The Miyata dropouts destructed one too many times touring and one of the tubes at the BB shell broke on the Dawes. The 531 tubed Dawes would probably have been my all-time favorite long distance frame. It was springy and fit me like a glove.

If OP is riding the Mtb on brevets due to costs, sometimes these old bikes can be bought for a song and if they have good wheels, they can be made into wonderful long distance bikes.
GhostRider62 is offline  
Old 05-09-22, 02:45 PM
  #30  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 9,304

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 685 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
...
If OP is riding the Mtb on brevets due to costs, sometimes these old bikes can be bought for a song and if they have good wheels, they can be made into wonderful long distance bikes.
Yeah, but if you get one with 27 inch wheel sizing, there are long arm brakes that will work on 700c but they can be hard to find. And then there were a lot of different bottom bracket threads. My Raleigh had the Nottingham bottom bracket thread. French was different from everything else, etc.

I have an early 60s Columbus tubing bike that has a very nice ride, but I have not upgraded the derailleurs, so still friction downtube. I put a triple on it, it came with a Campy 52/48 double with a 151 mm BCD that I was happy to replace. I bought a used set of clincher wheels with a 126mm spacing and 6 speed freewheel. I would post a few photos of other semi-modern components I put on it, but I do not want to hijack this thread.

My rando bike, I paid $450 for the new frame from Velo Orange in Dec 2015. Put some wheels on it that I had built up in 2004 for a touring bike. Eight speed cassette, road triple (Campy square taper). Campy brifter for rear, front shifter is friction downtube, rear derailleur is a mid 90s vintage Shimano XT. I did upgrade a year later to a dynohub and dyno powered lights, so it is not pure budget. I am not saying that anyone can go out and buy the parts to build up a nice bike, that is a skill that comes from long experience. But, you certainly can find some good affordable stuff out there that will make the time cutoff.
.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 05-09-22, 03:45 PM
  #31  
GhostRider62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2,220
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
Yeah, but if you get one with 27 inch wheel sizing, there are long arm brakes that will work on 700c but they can be hard to find. And then there were a lot of different bottom bracket threads. My Raleigh had the Nottingham bottom bracket thread. French was different from everything else, etc.

I have an early 60s Columbus tubing bike that has a very nice ride, but I have not upgraded the derailleurs, so still friction downtube. I put a triple on it, it came with a Campy 52/48 double with a 151 mm BCD that I was happy to replace. I bought a used set of clincher wheels with a 126mm spacing and 6 speed freewheel. I would post a few photos of other semi-modern components I put on it, but I do not want to hijack this thread.

My rando bike, I paid $450 for the new frame from Velo Orange in Dec 2015. Put some wheels on it that I had built up in 2004 for a touring bike. Eight speed cassette, road triple (Campy square taper). Campy brifter for rear, front shifter is friction downtube, rear derailleur is a mid 90s vintage Shimano XT. I did upgrade a year later to a dynohub and dyno powered lights, so it is not pure budget. I am not saying that anyone can go out and buy the parts to build up a nice bike, that is a skill that comes from long experience. But, you certainly can find some good affordable stuff out there that will make the time cutoff.
.
I guess my perspective is skewed. I have all the parts, bits, and skills to build up bikes.

I had a custom frame built for 4 grand and also "saved" the Mooney for less than $200. The custom fits me a little better but in fairness I new the Mooney was a touch tight. It would be a quibble to say one is better than the other. Buying wheels and parts to fix up an old frame is probably a losing proposition financially. I did PBP on a used Felt AR1. I think it was just under $2K. I did sell it and some of the parts, so, my out of pocket might have been $1k but I still have the Zipp 404 wheels, saddle, bars, stem, crank, brakes, 10 speed ultegra sti derailleurs, and shifters. Once your parts bin is full, making a new bike off a frame isn't too hard. Starting from scratch? Expensive.

I don't want to discourage OP but 400k on a mountain bike will be harder than necessary
GhostRider62 is offline  
Old 05-09-22, 04:13 PM
  #32  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 9,304

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 685 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
...
I don't want to discourage OP but 400k on a mountain bike will be harder than necessary
One of the 200k brevets that I did in 2019, one gal did it on a fat bike. I almost caught up with her after about 120k, but she got up that hill too fast, I did not see her again until I finished. At the finish when i saw her, she said that she had a lot of trouble with her bike. She had new shifters installed and the right (rear) would slip into high gear, bar end shifters. After a while she got tired of manually holding the gear shift lever and just pedaled in high gear. I looked at her shifter, looked like the bike shop did not tighten a screw tight enough, but I never worked on Microshift bar end shifters so I might not have diagnosed that right.

I am not a high wattage rider, but it is embarrassing if someone beats you on a fat bike. More so when their shifter causes them to pedal much of the distance in a bad gear. Later Kingston said she did a 400k or 600k (I do not recall which Kingston said) on that fat bike too.

So, you never know.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 05-09-22, 08:29 PM
  #33  
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 21,772

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3500 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,175 Posts
Yeah, if OP has already completed a 200k and 300k on an upright MTB with knobby tires, hes definitely more of a beast than me, so Im interested in how the 400k goes.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 05-10-22, 09:53 AM
  #34  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,500 Posts
There is a PA randonneur who has done at least one complete series on a fatbike. I didn't manage to finish the 600k he did, too hot. I try not to compare myself to others, but the time someone passed me and dropped me on his wife's 3 speed commuter after 100 miles was dispiriting.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 05-13-22, 12:04 PM
  #35  
friday1970
Senior Member
 
friday1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Brighton, Michigan
Posts: 634

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
, I ran Primo Racers at 1.25 aka 32mm on my recumbent
Have you been able to find any? My last tire was destroyed by a sharp rock. But the ride on that tire was smooth and fast.
friday1970 is offline  
Old 05-13-22, 12:08 PM
  #36  
friday1970
Senior Member
 
friday1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Brighton, Michigan
Posts: 634

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by AlfaW View Post
Any recommendations for fast rolling tyres for 26'?
if you can find them, Vittoria rubino pro slicks are incredible tires.
friday1970 is offline  
Old 05-13-22, 04:39 PM
  #37  
downtube42
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,165

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Focus Mares AL, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970 View Post
Have you been able to find any? My last tire was destroyed by a sharp rock. But the ride on that tire was smooth and fast.
Search for
Primo Racer Wire Bead Tire, 26 x 1.25", Black

This will exclude the wheelchair variety. I've bought them from Amazon and Modernbike before, but they don't seem to be in stock.

But there's this:


https://www.ebay.com/itm/363760109011
downtube42 is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 07:23 PM
  #38  
friday1970
Senior Member
 
friday1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Brighton, Michigan
Posts: 634

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
These are 20x559, so I am assuming they are pizza cutter tires and not the 32-559 I am hoping to find.
friday1970 is offline  
Old 05-16-22, 08:08 AM
  #39  
downtube42
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,165

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Focus Mares AL, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970 View Post
These are 20x559, so I am assuming they are pizza cutter tires and not the 32-559 I am hoping to find.
That's weird: Pair 26 x 1.25 Bicycle Tires Primo Racer 110 PSI 20-559

1.25 is not 20, for sure.

Pics show 20. I'd be tempted to contact the seller and find out what they actually have.
downtube42 is offline  
Old 05-16-22, 01:12 PM
  #40  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 9,304

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 685 Posts
Historically very few 26 inch bikes were built with narrow tires in mind, so most bikes with 26 inch wheels have rim inner widths that a 20mm wide tire could be a problem.

I usually rely on the chart at the bottom of this page to figure out what tire widths I should use for different rim inner widths.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 05-16-22, 02:22 PM
  #41  
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 21,772

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3500 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,175 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
That's weird: Pair 26 x 1.25 Bicycle Tires Primo Racer 110 PSI 20-559

1.25 is not 20, for sure.

Pics show 20. I'd be tempted to contact the seller and find out what they actually have.
I get a lot of hits for wheelchair tires when I search for those...
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 05-16-22, 06:12 PM
  #42  
downtube42
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,165

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Focus Mares AL, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
I get a lot of hits for wheelchair tires when I search for those...
Yeah I don't know if they are actually different, but the wheelchair tires are various colors. The non wheelchair tires are harder to find, black, and marketed as 1", 1.25", and 1.5".

Used to be the non wheelchair version was called Comet, available 20" and 26". Now the Comet is 20" only and the 26" is confused with wheelchair Racers.
downtube42 is offline  
Old 05-18-22, 10:36 PM
  #43  
csport
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: /dev/null
Posts: 495

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2018)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by AlfaW View Post
Any recommendations for fast rolling tyres for 26'?
Good old Paselas.
csport is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.