Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding with women

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-22, 02:15 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Reminds me a bit of a Golden Retriever, honestly.
For the record, neither of mine (nor their predecessors) are/(were) anything like this.
Old 04-06-22, 03:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10419 Post(s)
Liked 11,880 Times in 6,086 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
For the record, neither of mine (nor their predecessors) are/(were) anything like this.
Friendly to everyone? Playful? Energetic? Sounds like my Golden.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-06-22, 03:17 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I only occasionally encounter a female out riding. I neither speed up nor slow down. I maintain pace and if I pass, I pass and keep going. If I get passed I don't speed up, I get passed. I have been passed a couple of times and looking at the young woman that passed me, she's probably a triathlete or racer.
Old 04-06-22, 03:30 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
When you go to the grocery store for a few items and are pushing the cart or carrying a little basket, do you chat up someone at the meat counter then hope to follow them around the store while you all shop? Then challenge them to a mental game of wits on prices, deals, or nutrition?

That's how it reads when I hear about expecting casual bike/run encounters anymore than simply seeing another citizen outdoors. You can be kind or friendly and wave, say hi, nod, whatever.

There's local groups and clubs you can meetup with and chat up folks. Local to me there is some group with nearly every imaginable speed/ability level ride going on at least half the days/nights of the week.

I'm not trying to be mean saying that, just that lots of folks are different these days and may take offense. So the safety of bike friends at a bike group is great fun and fellowship. I keep the casual public encounters to being a good citizen.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-06-22, 03:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10419 Post(s)
Liked 11,880 Times in 6,086 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
When you go to the grocery store for a few items and are pushing the cart or carrying a little basket, do you chat up someone at the meat counter then hope to follow them around the store while you all shop? Then challenge them to a mental game of wits on prices, deals, or nutrition?

That's how it reads when I hear about expecting casual bike/run encounters anymore than simply seeing another citizen outdoors. You can be kind or friendly and wave, say hi, nod, whatever.

There's local groups and clubs you can meetup with and chat up folks. Local to me there is some group with nearly every imaginable speed/ability level ride going on at least half the days/nights of the week.

I'm not trying to be mean saying that, just that lots of folks are different these days and may take offense. So the safety of bike friends at a bike group is great fun and fellowship. I keep the casual public encounters to being a good citizen.
This. Some folks are like me - an introvert with low social needs and conversely a need for solitude and some time dedicated to it in which there's nobody joggling my elbow.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-06-22, 03:43 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I have a hard time believing that presumably grown-ass people struggle so mightily with the parameters of basic social interactions.
Sadly, lots of people struggle with things like social interaction. That's why I'm always happy to take questions at face value and try to respond to them sensibly. Maybe we've actually helped someone on this thread, you never know.
Old 04-06-22, 03:45 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Larry,

I think your comments and described actions in this thread is what gives roadies a bad name.
Old 04-06-22, 03:52 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Stalking women isn't a good thing, don't do it, especially if you're shirtless on a bicycle.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-06-22, 04:07 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
Maybe we've actually helped someone on this thread, you never know.
I'm skeptical, but that's a good point.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-06-22, 04:14 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Larry,

I think your comments and described actions in this thread is what gives roadies a bad name.
lol, I dont look like a roadie
Old 04-06-22, 04:46 PM
SurferRosa
seņor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked 6,469 Times in 3,201 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Larry’s on the spectrum.
Great episode!

Old 04-06-22, 05:00 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
lol, I dont look like a roadie
You might freak women a bit less if you did.
Old 04-06-22, 05:27 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Like 4 pages in and we haven’t done this yet?

Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 04-06-22, 05:37 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Nah. I stay behind them and quickly speed up an run them into the end cap so I can check out first…

…in the context of a friendly competition, that is.

John
Old 04-06-22, 06:14 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't mind it as long as the guy(s) let me know they're there. I'm at a pretty decent level so if a guy is keeping up with me I know he's not just some creeper that jumped on a bike when I passed by.

Of course, it's part of the environment too. I live in a rural community and there just aren't a lot of riders around so there's an implied familiarity just because of the shared interest. I don't know any of the other riders in my town personally, but I've seen a handful out at various times. But only two or three times have I been riding the same route with another rider, and nobody here has passed me yet.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 04-06-22, 06:54 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
What about shirtless on one of those naked rides? Do you ride behind, or up front? It's ok to talk to the opposite sex.
Old 04-06-22, 06:57 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
How is it Fred has so much luck with the girls? Share your secret, Fred.
For starters, refer to them as women, unless you're actually talking about underage females... in which case I may need to file a SCAR.
Old 04-06-22, 06:59 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by njkayaker
You might freak women a bit less if you did.
why do you think I freak women out?
Old 04-06-22, 08:08 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
i find these threads a little confusing. at least 1/4, maybe 1/3, maybe more of the riders i see on the road around here happen to be female. i don’t hang behind them and draft unsolicited, and i also don’t do that to males. nobody ever does it to me either. 6,000 miles in the last year and ONCE someone asked to hang on my wheel for a few laps of the public cycle track. once a guy drafted me a few lengths back for a mile or two and then dropped me with a “nice work.”

i am 100% for making sure one does not do anything to make anyone - especially women, children, the elderly or disabled, etc - feel threatened, but the tone of this conversation makes me wonder how many people here actually live normal lives off the internet in the world in which 51% of the population is female.

Likes For mschwett:
Old 04-06-22, 08:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Married 61 years. Treat all women as your Daughters.
I don't want to know how Larry treats daughters if someone was whacky enough to create children with him.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-06-22, 09:02 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by mschwett
i find these threads a little confusing. at least 1/4, maybe 1/3, maybe more of the riders i see on the road around here happen to be female. i don’t hang behind them and draft unsolicited, and i also don’t do that to males. nobody ever does it to me either. 6,000 miles in the last year and ONCE someone asked to hang on my wheel for a few laps of the public cycle track. once a guy drafted me a few lengths back for a mile or two and then dropped me with a “nice work.”

i am 100% for making sure one does not do anything to make anyone - especially women, children, the elderly or disabled, etc - feel threatened, but the tone of this conversation makes me wonder how many people here actually live normal lives off the internet in the world in which 51% of the population is female.

1/3 of riders are women, but its a rare occurrence for me to see a woman who can hold a fast enough pace on the flats to warrant drafting/racing. Hills are another story, lots of beastly women crushing them. Watts/kilos
Old 04-06-22, 09:45 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
1/3 of riders are women, but its a rare occurrence for me to see a woman who can hold a fast enough pace on the flats to warrant drafting/racing. Hills are another story, lots of beastly women crushing them. Watts/kilos
That's the exact opposite IME. I've passed some on hills with my SA 3 speed heavyweight.
The fastest girl I ever saw was on a fixie going 25 mph DT here. Happened to be my first ride with my Rohloff14. I cranked out 23.5 mph. LOL, never did go 25 on any bike. Later found out she was likely a messenger and track star.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 04-06-22 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-06-22, 10:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,632 Times in 2,918 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
You guys, ALL of you, need to drop the shirtless remarks, violates at least three guidelines.
Sure beats the alternative.

Old 04-06-22, 10:18 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
I had similar but opposite experience. I was riding a new MUP, when it entered a residential area and was having a hard time finding my way out. A nice lady in a car followed me for a bit then indicated where the path was. I thanked her, but then she started talking. Not about biking or the MUP, but about random things, after a couple minutes, it started to feel weird, and I told her had to meet my wife (I'm not married).
So, yes, I can understand the uneasiness women feel when strangers come up and start talking.
Old 04-06-22, 10:47 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I use to ride on a road which is the roadie's go-to in my area. So it's not uncommon to draft/be drafted by strangers. A couple years ago a girl about 20 passed me and kept close, looking back every now and then. Perhaps she felt safer riding near another cyclist, as the road was nearly empty. I told her we could do the "road circuit" if she wanted to. She accepted and we took turns drafting. At the end, she told me "Bye sir, were you a cyclist in the past?" (I was 68 at the time). I smiled and replied that I still tried to be one...
Likes For Reynolds:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.