Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe Johnny Watts

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Schwalbe Johnny Watts

Old 04-07-22, 01:04 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Schwalbe Johnny Watts

Just wanted to pass on my recomendation for these tires on an ebike for varied terrain. I’ve got a Bafanged Clem Smith with 27.5 x 2.35 JWatts tires. I tried various nice riding off road tires as 70% of my riding is trails and dirt road with 20% off trail and 10% pavement. My route takes me through 100’ of sharp jagged 3”-4” drainage rock that was causing small sidewall tears in those lighter tires. I’m going up or down 15% grades all the time. Between my 195 lbs and 30lbs of stuff on a 65 lb ebike the sharp drainage rock was the problem.

The sidewalls have held up fine, grip is good in most conditions and on pavement surprisingly smooth. Certainly not what I’d pick for a road tire but much better than the tires that excel for fast dirt riding. I don’t go fast anymore so it’s handling in soft dirt and damp slippery stuff is predictable. Overall close to perfect for my use.
Likes For LeeG:
Old 04-10-22, 09:30 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
I use Schwalbe Marathon Pro tires on my 27" wheeled older steel bike. I use this bike all the time on dirt/gravel roads and the Schwalbe tires are wonderfully durable. These are tires more oriented to road riding but work just as well off road.as long as you don't need a lot of traction. Like LeeG I tend to ride slower now (aging) and a lot of bicycle stuff lasts longer now.