Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless wheelset recommendation

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-04-21, 07:08 PM
Ataylor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

tl;dr: Looking for a tubeless wheelset. $1,500 budget. Can spend a little more or a lot less. Carbon or alum. Compatible with Rim brakes. Less than 40mm rim depth to prevent issues with crosswind. Priorities are rolling resistance, comfort and speed.

Having spent some time researching this topic (knowing nothing about it just a week back), it seems as though there are go-to brands when it comes to most tubeless-related items. Orange seal is a go-to item. GP5000 TL tires are go-to's as well. Though there's other tires, obviously, my point is that it's not an area an average cyclist needs to spend a ton of time researching. When it comes to wheels, though, it's been a bit more difficult for me to find a somewhat universally beloved and praised wheelset. Not sure why that is, though.

I've heard and read about Zipp, but for some reason, I haven't found many people posting about them. Perhaps that's a me issue, but is Zipp a brand I should consider? Or is it all hype? If not Zipp, is there perhaps another brand you all would recommend from a very reliable source? Heard about Hunt, but a few members on here didn't have positive things to say about them. Stumbled across the Light Bicycle Wheel's thread today and judging by the page-count and new purchases, I'm assuming you guys are fans? Will have to keep reading when I get a chance to see what that thread's all about.

Now I'm not a racer, but I do enjoy speed. My focus is not centered around corners and how quickly I can turn. I'm mainly on flat, city roads. Mainly looking for lower rolling resistance, less road buzz and though, again, speed is a definite factor, my priority is a comfortable and enjoyable ride.

With regard to material, some say carbon decreases road buzz, some say it increases it, while others claim that it's dependent on the type of carbon that was used to create the wheel and perhaps even the way (i.e. the exact formulation, molding process, etc) in which it was used to create the wheel. So I'm not sure what to think and which to go with on that end. I'm open to suggestions there, too, if anyone's willing to shed some light on that for me.

My budget is about $1,500. I'm no oil tycoon, but I do hold to the philosophy of "buy once, cry once." I suppose I can stretch it a bit, but I would rather keep that as the limit. Mind you, I'm not wanting to spend $1,500. I'm willing to spend that much. Meaning, if you guys suggest that the Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST Disc Wheelset that I can find for about $600 are more than enough or that the Light Bicycle wheels will do the trick (i.e. wheels that tick off the boxes mentioned above), I'd be more than willing to try them. But I do want quality and everything that comes with it, so I definitely don't mind spending more if need be.

Lastly, as mentioned above, I'm looking for rim-compatible wheels and preferably a rim depth of 40mm or less, to prevent any crosswind issues, though I admit that I don't know what that "magical" number is for my own build. I was considering the Zip 302 Carbon Tubeless, since the 303 seems to be disc brake and I need the rim version. What do you guys think about these?

https://www.performancebike.com/zipp...9.000/p1218579

With that being said, I'm struggling to find the most important piece of the puzzle, so any help I can get on that end would be very much appreciated. All thoughts, opinions, comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-21, 04:13 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
My only experience is with Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST w/ Mavic Yksion tires. This is my 3rd season with them and they have been very good. Last week I swapped out the Yksions for a set of Vittoria Corsa Gs. FWIW the Mavics cost about $600 for the pair and that included tires. Bought from Competitive Cyclist. Mavic has gone through some financial difficulties and I think it's harder to find the ones I have. Especially at that price.
Old 05-05-21, 05:55 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Ataylor
tl;dr: Looking for a tubeless wheelset. $1,500 budget. Can spend a little more or a lot less. Carbon or alum. Compatible with Rim brakes. Less than 40mm rim depth to prevent issues with crosswind. Priorities are rolling resistance, comfort and speed.

Having spent some time researching this topic (knowing nothing about it just a week back), it seems as though there are go-to brands when it comes to most tubeless-related items. Orange seal is a go-to item. GP5000 TL tires are go-to's as well. Though there's other tires, obviously, my point is that it's not an area an average cyclist needs to spend a ton of time researching. When it comes to wheels, though, it's been a bit more difficult for me to find a somewhat universally beloved and praised wheelset. Not sure why that is, though.

I've heard and read about Zipp, but for some reason, I haven't found many people posting about them. Perhaps that's a me issue, but is Zipp a brand I should consider? Or is it all hype? If not Zipp, is there perhaps another brand you all would recommend from a very reliable source? Heard about Hunt, but a few members on here didn't have positive things to say about them. Stumbled across the Light Bicycle Wheel's thread today and judging by the page-count and new purchases, I'm assuming you guys are fans? Will have to keep reading when I get a chance to see what that thread's all about.

Now I'm not a racer, but I do enjoy speed. My focus is not centered around corners and how quickly I can turn. I'm mainly on flat, city roads. Mainly looking for lower rolling resistance, less road buzz and though, again, speed is a definite factor, my priority is a comfortable and enjoyable ride.

With regard to material, some say carbon decreases road buzz, some say it increases it, while others claim that it's dependent on the type of carbon that was used to create the wheel and perhaps even the way (i.e. the exact formulation, molding process, etc) in which it was used to create the wheel. So I'm not sure what to think and which to go with on that end. I'm open to suggestions there, too, if anyone's willing to shed some light on that for me.

My budget is about $1,500. I'm no oil tycoon, but I do hold to the philosophy of "buy once, cry once." I suppose I can stretch it a bit, but I would rather keep that as the limit. Mind you, I'm not wanting to spend $1,500. I'm willing to spend that much. Meaning, if you guys suggest that the Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST Disc Wheelset that I can find for about $600 are more than enough or that the Light Bicycle wheels will do the trick (i.e. wheels that tick off the boxes mentioned above), I'd be more than willing to try them. But I do want quality and everything that comes with it, so I definitely don't mind spending more if need be.

Lastly, as mentioned above, I'm looking for rim-compatible wheels and preferably a rim depth of 40mm or less, to prevent any crosswind issues, though I admit that I don't know what that "magical" number is for my own build. I was considering the Zip 302 Carbon Tubeless, since the 303 seems to be disc brake and I need the rim version. What do you guys think about these?

With that being said, I'm struggling to find the most important piece of the puzzle, so any help I can get on that end would be very much appreciated. All thoughts, opinions, comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
The Zipp doesn't seem like anything special with a 17mm inner width (narrow by today's standards), and what you linked is showing only the front wheel at a 750g weight by itself.
You could consider some Hunts if you want a stock option: eg. HUNT 36 CARBONWIDE

Someone else will probably chime in on Lightbicycle options.
Old 05-05-21, 07:22 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I’ve had many tubeless wheelsets in both materials. In that price range I’d opt for either a set of custom laced Easton aluminum rims with White industry hubs by the amazing guys at November Bicycles, or a set of carbon wheels from light bicycle. Not sure how the wait is going for LB out of China, I bought mine from the North American distributor as I wanted Industry Nine hubs. Got them for under 1500 with that set up.

personally I don’t see any reason to spend more. My LB’s are going 2.5 years or so used 3-4 days per week with no issues. I do live in a flat environment so can’t speak well to braking in rain or hills. If you have a lot of wet weather riding I would definitely recommend aluminum rims. My back up set are alu set up tubeless on my vintage bike since i enjoy the ride much more
Old 05-05-21, 09:01 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
For a $1500 budget, something like HED Jet might make the most sense. They're around $1200, and combine an aluminum rim (and brake track) with a carbon faring for aero gains. They're reasonably light, fast and they look cool. https://store.hedcycling.com/jet-plu...ct-description

If it were my money, I'd probably buy a set of these: https://chrisking.com/collections/he...plus-r45-28-28
1600g, tubeless, 20mm width, smooth and fast hubs that will last a lifetime, all for $1000.

Carbon wheels are cool, and the Light Bicycle stuff all gets rave reviews, but rim brakes on carbon wheels (especially in the wet) are definitely a compromise that should be considered carefully.
Old 05-05-21, 09:23 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
For a $1500 budget, something like HED Jet might make the most sense. They're around $1200, and combine an aluminum rim (and brake track) with a carbon faring for aero gains. They're reasonably light, fast and they look cool. https://store.hedcycling.com/jet-plu...ct-description

If it were my money, I'd probably buy a set of these: https://chrisking.com/collections/he...plus-r45-28-28
1600g, tubeless, 20mm width, smooth and fast hubs that will last a lifetime, all for $1000.

Carbon wheels are cool, and the Light Bicycle stuff all gets rave reviews, but rim brakes on carbon wheels (especially in the wet) are definitely a compromise that should be considered carefully.
I would absolutely agree with the above statement if you regularly ride in wet environments. That price is super as well. Sadly it looks like lead time is over 120 days!
Old 05-05-21, 09:50 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Deleted.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 05-05-21 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-05-21, 10:45 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
Consider looking into a hand built wheelset from PWB.
You could save about $500-900 of your budget and get a lightweight, yet very durable wheelset that checks off what you’re looking for.
Had I not transitioned to disc brake frames, the wheelset PWB built for me rode as good as the Shamal Ultras I had in the stable. At literally half the cost.

Kinlin XR-31 rims (19mm ID, 24mm OD, 31mm height), Sapim Cx-ray spokes, Bitex hubs (splurge for White Industries if you like).
Old 05-06-21, 05:22 AM
Ataylor

Originally Posted by bruce19
My only experience is with Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST w/ Mavic Yksion tires. This is my 3rd season with them and they have been very good. Last week I swapped out the Yksions for a set of Vittoria Corsa Gs. FWIW the Mavics cost about $600 for the pair and that included tires. Bought from Competitive Cyclist. Mavic has gone through some financial difficulties and I think it's harder to find the ones I have. Especially at that price.
PM sent.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The Zipp doesn't seem like anything special with a 17mm inner width (narrow by today's standards), and what you linked is showing only the front wheel at a 750g weight by itself.
You could consider some Hunts if you want a stock option: eg. HUNT 36 CARBONWIDE.
I caught the 17mm width after I made my post, actually. Thanks, anyway, for pointing that out. I found and was considering the 2021 Zipp 303 Firecrest, but they, too(?), were hookless and not compatible with any of the tires I was interested in using. I wonder if anyone's tried them, though, and what tire combo they use. Will have to dig around a bit when I get a chance.

As for Hunt, if it wasn't for the wait time, I'd probably jump on board. Aside from that, though, I'd found a thread on here where there were a bunch of negative reviews about the brand. Some saying that they use low end Chinese rims and hubs, others claiming that they've owned a pair and found them to be "garbage." So...I don't know. For every negative review there's probably 30 positive, but for now, since I'm not quite sure what to think about the brand, I'm going to have to put them on hold. Thanks, anyway, for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by robbyville
personally I don’t see any reason to spend more.
I mean outside of time and convenience, I'm with you 100%. I just personally don't want to wait a month (or, in some cases, up to four months or more) to get my wheels, especially when I can have a pair delivered by the weekend. I'm definitely not knocking the process. When I figure out what components I want and what I need out of a wheel, finding a reliable builder seems like the logical path to take. For now, though, I think I'm just going to buy a pair I can find online and call it a day.

Seems as though the smallest rim depth they carry is 46mm and I would prefer to have something less than 40. Perhaps leaning way more towards 30 than 40.

Thanks, but there's up to a four month wait on those things. Was hoping to get something soon.

Yea', I've thought about and looked into the braking issue a bit these past couple days. I don't ride in wet weather, I don't race and I'm on flat roads like 99% of the time, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking it shouldn't be an issue.

Originally Posted by robbyville
I would absolutely agree with the above statement if you regularly ride in wet environments.
Unless I get caught in the rain, I'm mainly on dry land.

Originally Posted by primov8
Had I not transitioned to disc brake frames, the wheelset PWB built for me rode as good as the Shamal Ultras I had in the stable. At literally half the cost.
Thanks. I'll definitely keep them in mind. How long were you on the PWB's and how were they holding up before you transitioned over to disc?
Old 05-06-21, 05:34 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

If urgency is a key factor, you might be able to walk into your local Trek store and pick up a pair of the Bontrager Aeolus Pro3s. The 30-day Unconditional Guarantee and Lifetime Warranty can make this a no-downside option
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...ode=black_grey
Old 05-06-21, 05:54 AM
Ataylor

If urgency is a key factor, you might be able to walk into your local Trek store and pick up a pair of the Bontrager Aeolus Pro3s. The 30-day Unconditional Guarantee and Lifetime Warranty can make this a no-downside option
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...ode=black_grey
It slipped my mind, but I was meaning to ask you guys about those. I had the page opened up earlier today and was checking to see if anyone local carried them. Any idea if they're hookless or hooked? Can't really tell by looking at the pictures.

And a side question for you or anyone else that may care to answer. How big a difference is there in feel between the 24 point engagement on the Bontrager and, say, the 66 point engagement on something like the Firecrest Zipp's? I wonder if it's a noticeable difference. I was looking into a pair of Onyx Vesper's earlier today and the thought of instant engagement sent me down this rabbit hole.

EDIT: Nevermind. Seems as though they're "slightly hooked."

Last edited by Ataylor; 05-06-21 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-06-21, 06:10 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

It slipped my mind, but I was meaning to ask you guys about those. I had the page opened up earlier today and was checking to see if anyone local carried them. Any idea if they're hookless or hooked? Can't really tell by looking at the pictures.

And a side question for you or anyone else that may care to answer. How big a difference is there in feel between the 24 point engagement on the Bontrager and, say, the 66 point engagement on something like the Firecrest Zipp's? I wonder if it's a noticeable difference. I was looking into a pair of Onyx Vesper's earlier today and the thought of instant engagement sent me down this rabbit hole.

EDIT: Nevermind. Seems as though they're "slightly hooked."
You've mentioned the Zipp 303s a couple times. Makes me wonder if you've changed your shopping criteria? These are 45mm deep and typically sell for over $2k for the wheelset.

Points of engagement has a quite minor benefit IMO. I have 48 of them now in current wheelset, which makes for a noisier hub, but performance-wise it's not a huge impact. If you're involved with a lot of competitive sprinting it can be useful, or I think there's more utility in gravel/MTB environments having slightly more instant engagement.
Old 05-06-21, 06:15 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
Thanks. I'll definitely keep them in mind. How long were you on the PWB's and how were they holding up before you transitioned over to disc?
I had them for about 3-4 months. They were solid, more than a stiff enough wheelset for my 190-200 lb weight. I sold my Shamal Ultras C17 after putting miles on the Kinkin wheelset because it just felt so similar in ride characteristics. Spun up smoothly and this being the first time I’ve had a wheelset with Bitex hubs, it was definitely a nice surprise considering the inexpensive costs.

I actually have another PWB build arriving, hopefully by the end of the month, early June for my SBC all-road.
I went with the same Kinlins (24/28), asymmetric for disc, WI hubs, Sapim Strong J-spokes, Sapim brass nipples and tubeless.
Old 05-06-21, 06:52 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I found and was considering the 2021 Zipp 303 Firecrest, but they, too(?), were hookless and not compatible with any of the tires I was interested in using. I wonder if anyone's tried them, though, and what tire combo they use. Will have to dig around a bit when I get a chance.
The only performance tubeless tires of consequence that aren't hookless compatible are the Conti GP5k (unless you're also looking for a specific size, which may rule out some sizes that are inappropriate for a given internal width).
Old 05-06-21, 06:55 AM
Ataylor

You've mentioned the Zipp 303s a couple times. Makes me wonder if you've changed your shopping criteria? These are 45mm deep and typically sell for over $2k for the wheelset.

Points of engagement has a quite minor benefit IMO. I have 48 of them now in current wheelset, which makes for a noisier hub, but performance-wise it's not a huge impact. If you're involved with a lot of competitive sprinting it can be useful, or I think there's more utility in gravel/MTB environments having slightly more instant engagement.
You're right, I did. I was trying to convince myself that 45mm wouldn't be a problem, since it didn't seem as though I had many options beyond building a custom wheelset. I think the Bontrager should be good, though. Outside of feel, which I'll determine once I ride them, they tick off practically every box. The rim depth, the rim brake compatibility, the price and the warranty is a definite bonus. And though I didn't mention it, I'm glad that they're hooked, because I'm assuming they'll be compatible with the GP5000 TL's. One guy in the reviews section on the Trek site did have an issue with losing 30+ PSI overnight, but I'm hopeful that was just a one-off event and not a known issue with this particular wheelset.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder and the help.

Originally Posted by primov8
I had them for about 3-4 months. They were solid, more than a stiff enough wheelset for my 190-200 lb weight. I sold my Shamal Ultras C17 after putting miles on the Kinkin wheelset because it just felt so similar in ride characteristics. Spun up smoothly and this being the first time I’ve had a wheelset with Bitex hubs, it was definitely a nice surprise considering the inexpensive costs.

I actually have another PWB build arriving, hopefully by the end of the month, early June for my SBC all-road.
I went with the same Kinlins (24/28), asymmetric for disc, WI hubs, Sapim Strong J-spokes, Sapim brass nipples and tubeless.
Gotcha! Thanks much for the breakdown and enjoy your new set in good health.
Old 05-06-21, 06:57 AM
Ataylor

Originally Posted by WhyFi
The only performance tubeless tires of consequence that aren't hookless compatible are the Conti GP5k (unless you're also looking for a specific size, which may rule out some sizes that are inappropriate for a given internal width).
Really? I thought the Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 (TLR) weren't compatible either? I was contemplating between 25s and 28s.
Old 05-06-21, 07:02 AM
WhyFi

Really? I thought the Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 (TLR) weren't compatible either? I was contemplating between 25s and 28s.
I haven't looked at the Speeds, in particular, but Vittoria, in general, are hookless compatible - the regular Corsa and Corsa Control certainly are.

edit: ah, I see a quote from a Vittoria guy that says that that particular design is 5 years old and not recommended.
Old 05-06-21, 07:25 AM
Ataylor

I haven't looked at the Speeds, in particular, but Vittoria, in general, are hookless compatible - the regular Corsa and Corsa Control certainly are.

edit: ah, I see a quote from a Vittoria guy that says that that particular design is 5 years old and not recommended.
Yea', thanks, I noticed the other one's you mentioned on the BRR website.

Either way, I think I'm good with the Bont's for now. I really like the appeal of the Zipp brand. A lot. They look awesome and I'm sure the ride is equally as nice, but the rim depth, the price and them being hookless is a deal breaker for me. For now, anyway.
Old 05-06-21, 07:40 AM
WhyFi

Yea', thanks, I noticed the other one's you mentioned on the BRR website.

Either way, I think I'm good with the Bont's for now. I really like the appeal of the Zipp brand. A lot. They look awesome and I'm sure the ride is equally as nice, but the rim depth, the price and them being hookless is a deal breaker for me. For now, anyway.
The Bontragers look like nice wheels, and I've recommended them for people that aren't sold on tubeless. If you are sold on tubeless, hookless is the way to go, IMO, 'specially as tire selection has dramatically improved in the last couple years. As far as the depth, the Zipp rim shape seems to handle very nicely - my 303S are certainly much, much better behaved than my Reynolds Assaults ever were, so don't take rim depth alone as an indicator of how they manage in the wind.
Old 05-06-21, 08:23 AM
Ataylor

The Bontragers look like nice wheels, and I've recommended them for people that aren't sold on tubeless. If you are sold on tubeless, hookless is the way to go, IMO, 'specially as tire selection has dramatically improved in the last couple years. As far as the depth, the Zipp rim shape seems to handle very nicely - my 303S are certainly much, much better behaved than my Reynolds Assaults ever were, so don't take rim depth alone as an indicator of how they manage in the wind.
Oh, I don't know why, but for some reason I thought it was the opposite. Why would you choose hookless over hooked? What are the major selling points for you?

As for depth, outside of actual riding experience, are there any objective ways to tell how a wheel will handle?

One other thing. What tires do you use with your 303s?

Last edited by Ataylor; 05-06-21 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-06-21, 08:41 AM
WhyFi

Oh, I don't know why, but for some reason I thought it was the opposite. Why would you choose hookless over hooked? What are the major selling points for you?
I look at it as "why would I choose hooked over hookless?" If hooks aren't needed to retain the tire, hookless is easier to manufacture, saves weight, has better resistance to impact damage and present a great/aero tire/rim transition.

As for depth, outside of actual riding experience, are there any objective ways to tell how a wheel will handle?
Not that I'm aware of. Read reviews by those with valid comparisons and take it all with a grain of salt.

One other thing. What tires do you use with your 303s?
I've only had them for a little less than a year, so I've only used them with Schwalbe Pro One Evo Addix and Michelin Power Road TLRs. The Schwalbe are awesome. The Michelin (which are currently mounted) are excellent, but maybe not quite as supple as the Schwalbe. I also have Pirelli PZero Race SL sitting on a shelf, but I don't know if I'll be able to burn through the Michelin and get to them this year.
Old 05-06-21, 09:30 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3337 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
For a lightweight, low-profile, sturdy wheelset, don't overlook the Shimano Dura-Ace C24s.

With an aluminum braking surface, you avoid some of the braking issues of a full-carbon rim. I started renting these out after big riders were destroying our all-carbon Reynolds wheels on steep descents. Never had one issue with the C24s.

C24s are pretty hard to find, but Amazon shows a few in stock. At $1149, it's less than some of the all-carbon sets.

C24 review at Cycling Weekly.

Old 05-06-21, 05:01 PM
Ataylor

I look at it as "why would I choose hooked over hookless?" If hooks aren't needed to retain the tire, hookless is easier to manufacture, saves weight, has better resistance to impact damage and present a great/aero tire/rim transition.

Not that I'm aware of. Read reviews by those with valid comparisons and take it all with a grain of salt.

I've only had them for a little less than a year, so I've only used them with Schwalbe Pro One Evo Addix and Michelin Power Road TLRs. The Schwalbe are awesome. The Michelin (which are currently mounted) are excellent, but maybe not quite as supple as the Schwalbe. I also have Pirelli PZero Race SL sitting on a shelf, but I don't know if I'll be able to burn through the Michelin and get to them this year.
Thanks. Those Schwalbe were the exact tires I was looking for when I was going down the Zipp path.

Let me ask you this, though. You haven't ridden on the Bontrager wheels, right? I wonder if you know whether or not there would be a significant difference between them and the 303 Firecrest's? Or do you reach the point of diminishing returns after you wander into the realm of higher-end wheelsets? In other words, are the differences between the two sets small enough that an "average" cyclist like myself wouldn't notice them? I do go on longer (50+ mile) rides pretty often, if that matters at all.
Originally Posted by terrymorse
For a lightweight, low-profile, sturdy wheelset, don't overlook the Shimano Dura-Ace C24s.

With an aluminum braking surface, you avoid some of the braking issues of a full-carbon rim. I started renting these out after big riders were destroying our all-carbon Reynolds wheels on steep descents. Never had one issue with the C24s.

C24s are pretty hard to find, but Amazon shows a few in stock. At $1149, it's less than some of the all-carbon sets.

C24 review at Cycling Weekly.
Thanks a lot. I'll check them out right now.
Old 05-07-21, 01:56 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Take a look at Boyd wheels. You can write directly to Boyd Johnson.
Old 05-07-21, 07:39 PM
Ataylor

Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Take a look at Boyd wheels. You can write directly to Boyd Johnson.
I already picked up the Bontrager wheels,but I'll add Boyd to the list for future reference. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.