Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for using the Pedego Stretch front rack?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-22, 01:28 PM
benster310

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been riding my Pedego stretch for a few months now with the back configured with the passenger rails and passenger package for my kids. That makes the back very inconvenient for cargo, and I haven't come up with any good use for the front rack. If Pedego sold a large zippered pouch that could securely attach to the rack, that would be very useful. Has anybody found 3rd-party accessories that fit that front rack well or have any other success stories?
Old 04-27-22, 01:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
4k for it? Woah that is a lot for the spec list.

For using the rack I would probably go for good ole Highland Fat Straps (which are a really solid reliable and quality bungee cord). Or look at one of the many bags out there that will have velcro at the bottom.
Old 04-27-22, 07:38 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Rad Power has a couple of nice looking baskets that should be easy to install if they're the right size. I rode that model several years ago enjoyably for a month or so.
Old 04-27-22, 11:51 PM
benster310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it's pricey and was a bit of an impulse purchase. The advertised range was attractive, but it's underpowered for the size/weight. I'm not super impressed with its versatility.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 04-28-22, 10:56 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by benster310
Yeah, it's pricey and was a bit of an impulse purchase. The advertised range was attractive, but it's underpowered for the size/weight. I'm not super impressed with its versatility.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Yeah it is an odd one, I don't recommend the radwagons but it seems like close to the same bike but cheaper. For 4k you would expect a mid-drive with some decent-ish components the base level Tern GSD has Magura MT5s and Deore 1x10 and a Bosch Cargo Line motor. I am wondering how Pedego came up with their pricing are they just going by the Trek brand recognition model because that leads all the customers paying extra for nothing and that isn't fair.

I have made impulsive decisions before so I can understand going for it. It can be tough when you ride an e-bike you just want to own it because it is so fun.

Any advertised range is usually complete nonsense maybe if it is all downhill and you don't use assist or they had perfect conditions but calculating range is tough Bosch does a decent job but they factor in a lot of data most of these companies just say stuff to get you attracted to it. Give people the honest ranges say 30-50 miles and note that different weights and riding conditions will effect range and be honest with consumers. Honesty is always the best policy.
Old 04-29-22, 01:32 PM
benster310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, you're right. As it happens, I used it for my commute for the first time yesterday. 21 mi. to the office with a side errand of 10 mi. After the errand, it was down to 1/5 battery bars. Got an hour of charging before my commute home, and the battery died with about 10 mi to go. Let me tell you, pedaling what equates to a 100 lb beach cruiser for 10 miles is not fun. I'm kind of shocked at the performance, tbh. The terrain was mostly flat, and I was pedaling most of the way. There was a fair amount of stop-and-go, though, especially during that extra 10mi.

Looks like I'll have to buy my own charger for my office. The provided chargers look like XLR, but they have a small, 4th pin in the middle that I'm not familiar with, and they don't seem to fit my battery.
Old 04-29-22, 03:37 PM
2old

Don't be too hard on the battery. If you purchased the 48V, 13 ah one (the 17 ah is optional), that's 48 X 13 = 624 wh (80% - 4/5 used is about 500ah); therefore 500 ah/31 miles = 16 wh/mile which is within the anticipated range of 14 - 20 or so IMO. Yesterday I rode my 500w, 52 V rear system for 16 miles with about the same usage. Also, my bike probably weighs 40 pounds less.

Last edited by 2old; 04-29-22 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-29-22, 04:19 PM
benster310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comparison, that's helpful. I purchased the 17ah battery upgrade (and just double-checked it's the right one!), so it's closer to 21 wh/mile by those calculations: 48Vx17Ah = 816 wh. 816 * 0.8 = 652 wh. 652wh/31mi = 21 wh/mi. Sounds like I can realistically expect 30-40mi. Less than my naive expectations, but definitely sufficient for what I plan to use it for.
Old 04-29-22, 04:50 PM
2old

Also, probably you have the 3 amp charger, so don't be surprised if a battery with one bar requires five or so hours to charge.
Old 04-29-22, 04:55 PM
benster310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Also, probably you have the 3 amp charger, so don't be surprised if a battery with one bar requires five or so hours to charge.
For sure. Thanks, everyone!
Old 04-30-22, 12:35 PM
2old

Also, read "battery university" or whatever for how to maximize the life of your battery, but basically don't charge it below 50 or so degrees, try to maintain it between 20% and 80% of charge; therefore if you can, don't charge above 80% unless you top it off just before riding (if possible), but more importantly, don't store it below 20%. Others will differ in their views, but this has worked well for me.