Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Totally Tubular

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Totally Tubular

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-21, 07:55 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 758 Posts
Challenge Strada Bianca 30mm on sale at BikeInn for $47 each:

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/challen...de/137091210/p

As I understand it from a thread on The Paceline, Challenge is discontinuing the Paris-Roubaix and Strada Bianca products, folding them into their overall Strada product line. I'm full up on tubulars for the moment, so I won't be buying these. Just wanted to point out what looks like a decent deal.
Old 04-03-21, 10:36 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
And in Tubular News:

First = Ronan McLaughlin sets Everesting record on Vittoria Corsa Speed 2.0 tubulars.
Inside Ronan McLaughlin's Everesting world record bike – VeloNews.com

Second = Deceuninck QuickStep will be riding Tour of Flanders on Specialized Hell of the North clinchers.
(sorry, can't find the reference - but read it earlier today.)
Old 04-03-21, 01:18 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Second = Deceuninck QuickStep will be riding Tour of Flanders on Specialized Hell of the North clinchers.
(sorry, can't find the reference - but read it earlier today.)
From cyclingnews.com:

It won't be the first time that clinchers will be used in the Tour of Flanders; Alexander Kristoff was on Vittoria Corsa tubeless clinchers when he raced to third place in the 2019 edition behind winner Alberto Bettiol. But he later regretted his choice after suffering numerous punctures in Paris-Roubaix that year.
Interesting, but probably not that big of a deal. There will be flats in Flanders, and the winner's tire choice will be a topic... and so it goes.
Old 04-03-21, 08:50 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
After a really long search with no luck, I got a pm from obrentharris letting me know he saw these. I really lucked out and picked them up, NOS never glued and super supple!
Best, Ben

Conti 250 Sprinters in the elusive orange.

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 04-11-21, 07:52 AM
smontanaro 

Not sure if these have been outed before, but the price seems good:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194014734547

Old 04-12-21, 07:43 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
If you don't have a flux brush handy a plastic bag will do to
apply glue in a pinch.
I've used the Conti glue with sucess, the LBS now has
panaracer and Hutchinson glue but I have no experience
with them.
A word on Tufo gluing tape.
I have to admit that I have used it, the normal one not the extreme tape.
I had no problem riding it, even in texas heat. I sometimes kept my bike
(and obviously tires) in my car where it got quite warm. The glue did
soften but not to the point where I felt it unsafe to ride.
The Tufo tape is very easy to use, and makes for an easy
introduction to tubulars.
I had the oppertunity to change one of the tires recently (sprinter
with enough wear that it was unsafe). Removing the tire was no more
difficult than a tubular glued with mastik or any other glue.
There was significant sticky residue left on the rims that cleaned
up (with a little difficulty) with goo gone (or goof off).

Marty
I also used tape for my first tubulars and found it easy and have had no problems with the four wheels I used it on. I have another bike that was glued on which I will need to replace at some point and I'll find out how difficult they are to remove. I had never run tubulars until someone gave me a single Vittoria so I bought another one and then another set I really like them, they just seem quieter and smoother on the road. he tread is smoother and narrower so there's just less resistance. I never had any objections with clinchers but I really think I prefer the tubulars. I do top up my pressure before I ride each day and that is a good habit anyway so it's no problem for me. I ride some good country roads and have not had a flat yet and if you ride on dirty surfaces changing tires could be an issue.
Old 04-12-21, 08:32 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Just saw these on sale and thought I'd pass it along:
https://www.excelsports.com/vittoria...g-tubular-tire
Old 04-13-21, 01:00 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
@BFisher thanks for passing that along. Good deal on some nice tires. Question: When you click the Select option, what does "para/black" mean? Does anyone know if that is tanwall with black rubber as shown in the photo?
Old 04-13-21, 07:32 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
@BFisher thanks for passing that along. Good deal on some nice tires. Question: When you click the Select option, what does "para/black" mean? Does anyone know if that is tanwall with black rubber as shown in the photo?
Yes, para/black = tan sidewall.
Old 04-19-21, 03:50 PM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 110 Posts
watching...
Old 04-19-21, 08:25 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Dirt cheap tubulars. $6.

$6 tire

I don't care how bad they are, surely they're worth $6.

​​​​​​https://planetcyclery.com/component/...120-dc-ms-spon

I bought a set a couple months ago, but haven't glued them yet.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 04-19-21, 08:28 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
What’s with the bead to bead puncture protection on a sewup? Bead?
Old 04-20-21, 05:07 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Dirt cheap tubulars. $6.

$6 tire

I saw your post and decided to order 2 as well. My gut tells me it is a typo because when I cross checked these tires elsewhere they are listed as $75 tires. They are 28 mm which would work well with the Velocity Major Tom rims. I built the polished Major Tom rims into a road tubular wheelset, well to be precise I sourced the rims and hubs and my LBS master wheelbuilder built the wheels. But the Major Tom rims appear to be optimized for wider cyclocross tires.
Old 04-20-21, 05:33 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Dirt cheap tubulars. $6.

$6 tire

...and this morning, 04-20, 7:30 EDT, they are out of stock.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 04-20-21, 08:16 AM
Dylansbob 

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Originally Posted by masi61
I saw your post and decided to order 2 as well. My gut tells me it is a typo because when I cross checked these tires elsewhere they are listed as $75 tires. They are 28 mm which would work well with the Velocity Major Tom rims. I built the polished Major Tom rims into a road tubular wheelset, well to be precise I sourced the rims and hubs and my LBS master wheelbuilder built the wheels. But the Major Tom rims appear to be optimized for wider cyclocross tires.

I'm pretty sure you'll get them. They had been available late last year at the same price and I ordered a set. They are *very* tight. I haven't dealt with a fresh set of tires in 20yrs, but I don't remember having to stretch Rallys like this. Eventually I got it on a stretching wheel and hope to be glueing this weekend.

Here are some pics of what to expect. The valve stem is just an extender threaded onto a nipple on the tube. Might be a durability issue. I'll have to dig around to find some shorter ones.

Seems to run true, but I'd forgotten how much more you have to center big tubies.

Made in Thailand, but what big name tire isn't these days.

Not as garish as I had thought they'd look on
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 04-20-21, 08:53 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Dylansbob - that is an odd arrangement for the valve. The Major Tom rims have the same “semi-aero” profile as A23’s and 43mm valves I believe are the correct length.

I figured there must be a “catch” as to why Planet Cyclery was selling these dirt cheap. Perhaps since they are so darn tight on the rims, they might be a good candidate for double sided tape? I have some red (3M equivalent) double sided tape that I might use. The tape is applied first to the rim in 2 pieces with a small opening opposite of the valve stem with the waxy outer tape left on while you slide the tight tire on and align it. The idea is that once the tire is where you want it, you can then peel back the outer waxy tape to expose the adhesive then to the tubular base tape. I have not tried this yet but hope it works....

Did you measure the width of the Velocitas inflated? Just curious if they will clear on my older Cannondale. Also, are these Maxxis tubulars the “fused” or “laminated” type? What I mean is that it appears they might not be manufactured by sewing the casing in the traditional manner but instead are built up with several overlapping plies that are somehow vulcanized or fused...

Another affordable tire to mention: Panaracer Race A Evo 2. The 26 mm width ones appear scarce but I purchased 2 of the 23mm width ones on-line for a little more than $20/each. I saw them in the clearance section of several online vendors (I got mine from an individual on eBay). Panaracer clinchers seem to be very underrated. I’m hoping for good results with these Panaracer tubulars, I just wish I had found the 26’s.
Old 04-20-21, 12:52 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 448 Posts
Rubenesque Tubbies

I'm pretty sure you'll get them. They had been available late last year at the same price and I ordered a set. They are *very* tight. I haven't dealt with a fresh set of tires in 20yrs, but I don't remember having to stretch Rallys like this. Eventually I got it on a stretching wheel and hope to be glueing this weekend.

Here are some pics of what to expect. The valve stem is just an extender threaded onto a nipple on the tube. Might be a durability issue. I'll have to dig around to find some shorter ones.
Originally Posted by masi61
Dylansbob - that is an odd arrangement for the valve. The Major Tom rims have the same “semi-aero” profile as A23’s and 43mm valves I believe are the correct length....
Thanks for posting of these. Late last night I spent some time researching and found this:

"Another cool thing about the Velocitas is the valve. Most wheels that people are using tubs on these days are deep section, but the majority of tyres don't have removable valve cores to add an extension. The Velocitas come supplied with a 60mm anodised extension that screws on directly to the tub and if you need to go longer for time trial wheels of 80-100mm deep, for instance, then you can buy longer ones separately."
Old 04-20-21, 01:03 PM
Dylansbob 

Originally Posted by machinist42
"Another cool thing about the Velocitas is the valve. Most wheels that people are using tubs on these days are deep section, but the majority of tyres don't have removable valve cores to add an extension. The Velocitas come supplied with a 60mm anodised extension that screws on directly to the tub and if you need to go longer for time trial wheels of 80-100mm deep, for instance, then you can buy longer ones separately."
Lol, like they think anyone running a 100mm deep rim would consider running a 28mm tire.

That being said, dry mounted on an AVA rim they are measuring 27mm @80psi
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 04-22-21, 10:54 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
At the age of 68, I am beginning my tubular journey. I had them on my full SL Trek 930 and the ride was harsh. I was not impressed. Through an accident of nature, I recently put that wheelset onto the PDG Paramount, made with Tange Prestige OS tubing A very stiff frame. They ride like a dream.

Old 04-22-21, 03:14 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
At the age of 68, I am beginning my tubular journey. I had them on my full SL Trek 930 and the ride was harsh. I was not impressed. Through an accident of nature, I recently put that wheelset onto the PDG Paramount, made with Tange Prestige OS tubing A very stiff frame. They ride like a dream.
I think the rim can make a difference also...my 84 team miyata came with mavic ma40 rims and 25mm bontrager tires......harsh. I got a set of mavic330 rims and put the challenge elite tubular in 25 mm on them. the ride became magic even at 130psi and me the 250 lb rider.

Old 04-23-21, 03:50 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Is anyone running Kinlin TB25 Tubular rims? Wondering about the overall quality because I never had that brand before. I'm planning on ordering a wheelset from PWB for my Wabi Special single speed with Phill Wood hubs and they have those Kinlins as an option. It's a good price and the measurements I want for a 23mm tire. The Major Tom rims are wider.

https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/kinl...black-rim.html
Old 04-23-21, 07:11 PM
smontanaro 

I suppose I could have posted to the "where'd you ride today" thread, but there really wasn't anything special about my route. On the other hand, today was the first ride on my NOS-ish FMB tubulars:

I noticed when I set them up that a) they say "Made in Thailand," so definitely training tubies (cotton casing) and b) the base tapes were stamped "May 2011," so oldish NOS. They looked sorta like they had a coating on the base tape, but there was no indication they'd been mounted before (no dimples from eyelets, for example). They ride nice, as good as my Veloflex Vlaanderen I think.
Old 04-24-21, 09:40 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Thanks for posting of these. Late last night I spent some time researching and found this:

That sounds like the Vittoria set up that they thankfully abandoned. Substantial PIA in practice- the stem can come loose on the mounted tire, and no replaceable valve core- recommend avoid.
Old 04-24-21, 09:58 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 448 Posts

Seems to run true, but I'd forgotten how much more you have to center big tubies.

Made in Thailand, but what big name tire isn't these days.

Not as garish as I had thought they'd look on
Thanks again for posting of these. My purchases arrived a couple of hours ago. They seem very sturdy, and should be suitable "touring tubulars" for my riders which can't accommodate anything wider. I figure I can run them at a lower pressure,

Certainly for the price they are tires!

Originally Posted by woodcraft
That sounds like the Vittoria set up that they thankfully abandoned. Substantial PIA in practice- the stem can come loose on the mounted tire, and no replaceable valve core- recommend avoid.
Too late!

The valve core is removeable. I unscrewed one moments ago. And it does look like the stem is removable as well, though I haven't tried that yet.

At $6 each for a robust 28mm wide tire, I'm not asking a lot.

(With shipping and tax they did come to like ~$7 ?)

Last edited by machinist42; 04-24-21 at 10:06 AM. Reason: OCD Fine Tuning Editing of my Editing At This Point
Old 04-24-21, 10:05 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Thanks again for posting of these. My purchases arrived a couple of hours ago. They seem very sturdy, and should be suitable "touring tubulars" for my riders which can't accommodate anything wider. I figure I can run them at a lower pressure,

Certainly for the price they are tires!

Too late!

The valve core is removeable. I removed one moments ago. And it does look like the stem is removable as well, though I haven't tried that yet.

At $6 each for a robust 28mm wide tire, I'm not asking a lot.

(With shipping and tax they do come to like $7.50?)

Yeah, I saw that they do have removeable cores, and the stems mentioned even as a fix for the Vittoria ones.

Good luck with the tires!
Likes For woodcraft:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.